2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced Fuel Pump Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 PM
DPR250R
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Fuel Pump Today

My fuel pump started to whine when the tank was below half full.

I had a fuel pump quit on me about two years ago and had it replaced. I work for a chevy dealer so I had to use aftermarket. So we put in a Carter pump.

It worked for fine about 2 years.... and then started to whine. I decided to go ahead and replace it.

I did it myself this time and everything turned out OK.

I bought the pump on E-bay. It was supposed to be an OEM pump. When I got it I was not so sure about it being OEM. There is a Chrysler symbol on the top of the pump. I decided to go ahead anyway and put it in. I have driven it for a couple hours and it is quiet and seems to be just fine.

The part number on it is TU114. The AC Delco number dealer cost is $205. I got this shipped to my door for $155 thorugh Ebay. It seems like a good deal. I will keep you posted if it starts acting up!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Old 05-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran
Default RE: Replaced Fuel Pump Today

I got the same pump from Napa

Thats no factory pump, its an aftermarket one

Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
DPR250R
Professional

ORIGINAL: Spike7ss

I got the same pump from Napa

Thats no factory pump, its an aftermarket one
Yeah... that is why I said I was not so sure it is OEM.

I am not trying to promote this E-Bay seller... I have taken so much in from this site that I thought I would try to contribute anything I could...

Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
TPSDODGE
Professional

was there a partnumber on the part it self? alot of the time aftermarket people rebox factory parts because its cheaper to buy than it is to build the part but yeah that was deff not a chrysler part number

Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
DPR250R
Professional

The part number on the pump was TU114.... it was on a sitcker affixed to the top of the pump assembly.

There was also a Chrysler symbol with a part number underneath it... but I did not take the time to write it down.

I did not get the impression that it was rebuilt...

The true test will be how long it lasts. The OEM pump seemed to last till about 130,000 miles.... but the best price i could get was around $350.

The Carter I installed lasted about 20,000.... I will not buy another Carter pump...

Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Grn Ram sport

Hows the new pump doing? I need to put one in myself. I checked the ebay site you used. They claim a they have a oem Chrysler fuelpump made by Walbro. I've heard of this company. The price is pretty cheap $138.79. That's the cheapest I've found. I'm kind of leary I believe you get what you pay for.
Anybody have any opinion's on Walbro?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

No idea about Walbro, never heard of that make.
Many moons ago, I had a 85 Chevy Camaro with about 100k miles. The fuel pump began to whine and began to have trouble starting. I replaced the fuel filter and it fixed the starting problem and the fuel pump whine went away. I guess because the pump didn't have to work so hard after that. I sold the car shortly after so I don't know any more about it.

I don't know if you tried this, but you might try replacing the $10 to $35 filter before the $155 pump.
Also, has anyone tried dismantling and rebuilding a fuel pump? I think I'm going to try it.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

After taking the fuel tank off, I tested the fuel pump and it pumped gas fine for 2 seconds and then it would pump foamy gas like it's got an air leak. That doesn't seem right to me so I ordered a new Walbro pump through ebay for $61 (best price I've found). http://stores.ebay.com/GLOBAL-AUTOMOTIVE

Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grn Ram sport

Hows the new pump doing? I need to put one in myself. I checked the ebay site you used. They claim a they have a oem Chrysler fuelpump made by Walbro. I've heard of this company. The price is pretty cheap $138.79. That's the cheapest I've found. I'm kind of leary I believe you get what you pay for.
Anybody have any opinion's on Walbro?
How's the NEW pump doing? From May of last year, IT AINT NEW ANYMORE!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy it from someone in Florida? That's where I got my pump and it's worked flawless for the past year. What most people don't realize is the need to replace the regulator maybe every two years or so. It acts like a secondary fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Replaced Fuel Pump Today