2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM
ASH
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures

I recently installed a transmission temperature guage on my truck. I know some questions come up occasionally on this topic, so I thought I would post some pictures of how I did the installation and give a description of the process.

To connect the power for the guage, I took a 1/4" male electrical connector and ground it to the same width as the blade on the small fuses. Then I slipped it in beside the #15 fuse. This is the fuse for the cigeratte lighter, which is turned on and off with the switch. I connected a small buss fuse in the line, and ran that up to the guage to provide power. For the light, I bugged into the wire for the light in the ashtray. I was able to trace that line back under the dash and found a place where I had enough flex in the wire to make the connection. I ran only one ground wire up the to guage, then grounded the light back into the ground for the guage. See pictures below.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/E611F8D187C541D7AD2DACD14E6EB110.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/113A8D2A09D94302BE894076F3E26D4C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures

More pictures of guage. I used an Autometer guage and pod.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/20D7153C22544305B4AEF608D7B9F2FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/F5DCC2EF66B84A60857B0518F12B9A89.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
ASH
Veteran

I initially put the sensor in the test port located right below where the filler/dipstick tube enters the tranny, this is the passenger side, front of the tranny. I initially stuck it there because it was quick and easy. In my opinion, using the test port for the sensor is ok, but I prefer to have it in the cooler line. I don't think the oil is constantly circulating through that port. Here was my experience. I started the truck cold and jumped on the turnpike. Drove about 60 miles at 65 mph, the truck never shifted out of overdrive once I got up to speed. The temperature slowly came up to 150 F and stayed there. Outside air temp was around 60 F. and I have a fairly large cooler on the truck. I got off the turnpike, paid the toll, and got back up to speed on the next highway. Within the first mile the temperature climbed up to 165 F., then slowly came back down to 150 F. To me, it seemed to climb too quickly, so I wonder if the oil in that port gets circulated in the lower gears, but becomes isolated once the truck shifts into the higher gears. It may give you a decent average temperature of the tranny since the heat from the fluid will eventually heat up the surrounding fluid and transmission case.

I decided to try installing the sensor in the transmission line going to the cooler. The previous owner installed an aftermarket cooler, so my truck has the steel line from the tranny connecting to a 1 ft. long rubber line immediately before the radiator. Initially I purchased a brass T with flair fittings, plus the various adaptors needed to make the connection. THIS DID NOT WORK. My temperatures were about 50 F too low. I took the same trip desribed above (to the in-laws) and the temperature never moved off of 100 F, until I got off the tunrpike, then it climbed to about 125 F. I knew this was incorrect. Due to the adaptors I needed, the sensor was about 2 inches away from the fluid flow. I thought the heat would transfer through the fluid to the sensor, but there was too much heat loss through the fittings.

THE PICTURE BELOW SHOWS HOW NOT NOT MAKE THE T CONNECTION. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND DO NOT DO THIS.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/E69B82ACA31D4F649752093C3236DC2E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
ASH
Veteran

I finally purchased another T. This one was a brass T with 3/8" NPT threads, a flare nipple, and a barbed fitting that slips inside the rubber hose. I put the sensor in the 3/8" adaptor that came with the guage and installed that in the T. This setup seemed to work much better. The sensor is right in the fluid flow now, instead of being isolated like shown above.

When I had it the the test port, I never got readings above 165 F. Now that I have the correct fittings, I had temps go up to 180 F, plus it fluctuates quicker. However, I only put a few dozen miles on the truck since I moved the sensor, so I don't have a lot of experience with it in that location. I'll be towing my pop-up about 150 miles this weekend, so I should get a better feel for how the sensor responds in this location.

It is easiest and quickest to put the sensor in the tranny test port. But if you want to do like me and move it later, give yourself about 18 inches to 2 feet of extra wire for the sensor, so you don't have to splice on extra later if you install the T at the radiator.

Pictures below show the final setup in the line leading to the cooler. Hope this helps some others doing the install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/DE0CCF78111C4FDBAB71E6966B4B83A3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/A8CC040DDF3D4AA192ABD4D0AE3C9A5E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I want to know where you got that pillar pod, and how much. Looks like it just snaps over the existing pillar!

As for the wiring, looks good. Just to let you know they make "fuze" look alike's that have taps on them so you dont have to rig up a spade terminal like you did, not that its a bad way, just for future reference, and for ease. Could you post a link on where you got that gauge and pillar mount? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
ASH
Veteran

Final picture of T installed in line.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/D29DB5F2DBEF473FB28A34FAE7848343.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
ASH
Veteran

I initially looked at some local auto parts stores, but their prices were too high, especially for the pod. I found that Summit racing had good prices, especially when you added in shipping. Here are some links for Summit.

Guages - http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908432

Pod - http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908110

You can move through the "Browse By" to select the criteria for your truck.

You have to pull the plastic pillar off to install the guage pod. Before you pull it off, align the pod and mark the top and bottom edges. You'll have to drill about a 1/2" or larger hole in the pillar to run your wires through it. I wrapped the wires in the spiral wrap to protect them, but a rubber grommet might be a good idea too. The pod comes with plastic tabs to fasten to the pillar. Mount the pod on the pillar and drill 4 holes in the corners.

I installed the pod on the pillar before re-attaching the pillar to the window frame. This was a mistake. I had mounted the pod so low, that I had trouble slipping the whole thing back into place. The pod was dragging on the dash and keeping me from getting the tabs on the back of the pillar aligned with the holes in the window frame. I ended up smashing the plastic tabs on the back of the plastic pillar. [:@] I should have drilled the holes, remounted the plastic pillar, then installed the pod on the pillar. Also, if I mounted the pod higher, I wouldn't have had this problem. Fortunately, the whole thing is staying in place. I may get a new plastic pillar in the future if I can find one in a junk yard, but I'm not too worried about it.

I looked for the electical adaptors that you are talking about, tried 2 different auto parts stores and couldn't find any. So that is why I ground the connector down. I agree that using them would be easier, and I might make that change in the future if I can find them. Also, note that the hot side of the fuse is the upper side. If you slipped a connecter in like I did on the lower side and the fuse blew, you would lose power to the guage. By putting it on the upper side of the fuse, you always have power. At least check which side of the fuse is getting power. "Upper" and "lower" sides may not apply to all vehicles.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Good job Ash, looks good too! I have to be honest though, the first pic of the sensor kinda made me stop scrolling, lol...not that it's bad, because the sensor will still pick up a temp, but because it was just...tall, lol. Looks like you felt the same way too

On a side note, is the brass fitting on the right (rubber hose side) a barbed fitting? If so, be careful with the worm clamps and don't tighten them down too much. The vibration from the motor...friction...leak, you get the idea

Old 05-25-2006, 12:51 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just another question. That placement of the temp sensor looks to be on the return line from the cooler. Wouldnt you want it closer the the trans on the supply line so you know waht the temp is of the fluid coming out of the tranny. Just wondering what made you want to place the sensor where it is now.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 PM
ASH
Veteran

silvercoupe97 - Thanks for the advice on the clamp, I didn't know that. I definately tightened it down too hard then. I do have some slight leakage at the brass fittings. I used the PFTE tape, two wraps per fitting, but it still seeps. Any advice on how to elimate this? I tightened the fittings pretty hard, but might have to take them apart and try again.

Yea, as soon as I put the initial T together, I wondered if it would work. Looked like crap. My problem was starting with the flared union T. But that is why I posted this, so others have a guide on how to do this.

Quick Reply: Tranny Temp Guage Installation Pictures