2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dodge ram wheel hub assembly help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 AM
Burnzchoppa360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge ram wheel hub assembly help

I was wondering where i could find the best price for a new wheel hub assembly. My wheel is about to fall off, the brakes wont work, and i jacked the front end up and the wheel shakes as if the lugs were barely put on..need help asap

Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: dodge ram wheel hub assembly help

Welcome to DF!

Head over to NAPA or Bumper To Bumper.

Definitely get one ASAP if it's shaking that bad [&:] The wheel won't fall off (the axle nut will hold it on), but it's still not safe.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

They're still pretty pricey unfortunatlly. Expect to pay $250-300 for a new one Best bet is to find somebody that has a good discount where you want to buy it. I was lucky and had my buddy thats the local high school auto shop teacher order it for me. $280 regular I paid $170 from Auto Value (Bumper to Bumper)

Old 07-29-2006, 03:07 AM
Burnzchoppa360

thanks, but i unforunetly had to change screen names on this site, but i've been a long time member anyway i was just trying to get the best price, i lost all my connects after my boss laid me off at the shop so im pretty much on my own for buying parts an what not... so anyone know a good ebay site or somethin

Old 07-29-2006, 03:38 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

Since you posted no info regarding the truck, if it's an 00-01 2500 and whatever else uses the 8 lug sealed hub, dealer only from what I've found in my searching...Napa, AZ, nobody has a listing for one...this was about a month ago when I was looking...mine's still growling, but not yet loose, Im gonna ride it as long as possible, rediculous pricing, even when I can get 20% off dealer list.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Quad4x4 carries the unitized hub bearings for $377 here: http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Frt%20Axle&Steering.htm

Discount auto parts lists them, but you have to email for a quote: http://www.discountautoparts.com/ The ones they carry are Timken hubs (I cross referenced the part number) and they're probably the best company around when it comes to hubs.

Here's the Timken catalog if you want to check for yourself: http://www.timken.com/industries/aut...rtCatalog.aspx

They are available, you just didn't look hard enough...or in the right places They've actually been available for quite sometime. I found a post over at DTR from early 2005 where they were purchasing Timken hubs.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:11 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

They are available, you just didn't look hard enough...or in the right places They've actually been available for quite sometime. I found a post over at DTR from early 2005 where they were purchasing Timken hubs.
Sorry, I should've been more clear...Napa, AZ, Advanced, Car Parts Warehouse, 1st Stop (Federated), nor Kovachy/Budget has a listing for them...these are all places I deal with at work, so I can get parts @ cost from them...I can still get it from the dealer if I have to, for about $220...but if it was available in the aftermarket I deal with, we'd be probably @ $125- $150...every $ counts But thanks for the catalog link, maybe I can give them a part # to see if it can be ordered at my discount, w00t!

Old 07-29-2006, 04:12 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't there an article a while back about a machine shop worker who owned a Ram, and that he added grease zerks to his hub/bearing assemblies?

I will look. He had quite an indepth article with pics that showed how he carefully drilled, tapped, and re-greased his wheel bearings. Give me some time to look. Those units ARE expensive though. Adding grease at regular intervals makes sense. This "sealed" bearing crap is not a reliable setup. When I bought my Ram in Sept of 94' I had three sets of front u-joints replaced the 16 months I had the truck. It was LACK of lube when the joints were originally assembled.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 AM
chief0299

I recently had the same problem... 2001 1500, 2wd, front left wobbled when lifted off the ground. Here in OKC, Napa, AZ, all the stores had no listings. The dealer quoted me $210 for a whole assembly. I picked up one from a local pull a part yard for $75 with a 3 month warranty. It came off another Ram with only 45k miles. That was a month ago and no problems yet.

Jason

Old 07-30-2006, 03:05 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chief0299
I recently had the same problem... 2001 1500, 2wd, front left wobbled when lifted off the ground.
2wd is a different animal though From what I've read, it's possible (not dealer recommended...because they want to sell you parts) to disassemble the 2wd "unitized" bearing assembly and just replace the bearing itself. The 4wd hub unit is not serviceable at all.

Quick Reply: dodge ram wheel hub assembly help