2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TB whistle, I'm stumped.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TB whistle, I'm stumped.....

So during the process of installing the 1.7 ratio rockers a few weeks ago, I also did a full tune-up. Among other things, I removed my K&N FIPK and TB and cleaned up everything real good, something I have done several times, so I know what I'm doing. I have noticed since reinstalling everything that I now have a whistle right as I get on the throttle (actually kinda sounds like a turbo whistle). I am pretty sure it is the sound of air whistling by the blades in the TB, but I am not 100% sure if that is the source. I have checked everything else for leaks (airhat to TB seal, TB to intake seal, K&N FIPK for cracks, loose vacuum hoses, etc...), and have not found anything. So, why would my TB suddenly be making an audible air sucking whistle noise right as I get on the throttle? I doubt it has anything to do to the 1.7's, but I am open to ideas/comments since it never did it before.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:13 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: TB whistle, I'm stumped.....

... its hte filter...sounds like a whoosh sound right when you get on the throttle but bleeds out after the rpms catch up? i think its just air suckking into the filter and into the intake tube...have you had someone sit in side and throttle it up while you were sittig there and trying to listen? when i put my fipk in at first it didnt make that sound but right after i cleaned it the first time... it did it ever since..

Old 09-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I haven't had a chance to listen from the engine bay, but I will as soon as I can get my wife to go out and rev it for me. You think it's the air going through the FIPK tube? Did it do it after you put your larger filter on, because I have an oversized filter on mine now too. Before, it was the small filter.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I think I might know what it is thanks to some comments on another forum. The TB is a Fastman 50mm, and it came with a gasket from the Fastman. When I changed it this time, I bought a new gasket from my local Chrylser dealership. I bet that gasket needs a small amount of trimming to properly work with the Fastman TB. I'm going to check in the TB tonight to see if the gasket is sticking out on the inside of the barrels. If it is, I bet that is what is causing the whistling. Probably also hindering my airflow too. I'll keep you posted as to what I find, but that sounds like a possibility.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:40 PM
shott8283

it did it to me with the cone filter after its first cleanign and reoiling and it does it even more now after i put the 6X9 K&N on it..and after i cleaned that one it did it too.. its iether the air going into the tube or the air being sucked through the filter...sounds like a little 4 banger ricer turbo spooling up... soudns pretty neat

i bet your theroy on the tb gasket could be it too... it makes sense

Old 09-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Well, it took longer then I thought to get around to checking this, but I finally looked down into the TB, and my gasket was protruding in just slightly. Here is a picture of the gasket. The hole were the blue line is is the one I used to line up the gasket when I installed it. Look at the holes indicated by the red lines. The gasket had basically swiveled on that first hole (the blue one), and all the others are off by just a little. At the yellow arrows, you can see the width of the area that was protruding into the air channel.

I installed a new gasket (trimmed up to compensate for the Fastman boring). This time I installed the gasket, and set the TB on the gasket. Then tightened the 4 top bolts only hand tight. Then I recentered the gasket from inside the air channel to make sure it had not swiveled and protruding a corner into the air channel. Then tightened everything down.

After a lengthy test drive, the air whistle I had is now gone. I can't say for sure if it was the gasket or not, but I didn't see anything else wrong as I took the airhat off and TB off, so I bet that was it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/C5C98ABA145D44108A29863B94234FE4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM
shott8283

nice find.. good heads up for other guys running the fastman

Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
phlash_riot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i developed this as well. I do not have a fastman TB still sitting on the untouched stocker. When i got the truck no whistle. i got the whistle after doing a tune-up when i also checked the filter and pulled the filter box out as it was the only way that i could figure that you could get the air cleaner out. replaced averything and no a whislte.... ODD.. i felt around inside the TB for the gasket you mentiond think that due to age a piece of it my be pushed inot the airway from my tinkering with the air box but i couldn't feel anything adnormal...

Was thinking about chaning out to a fastman so i guess i will get a new gasket. Is it a stright fowrad install or do i have to take pieces off the old one and replace onto the new TB?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: phlash_riot

well i developed this as well. I do not have a fastman TB still sitting on the untouched stocker. When i got the truck no whistle. i got the whistle after doing a tune-up when i also checked the filter and pulled the filter box out as it was the only way that i could figure that you could get the air cleaner out. replaced averything and no a whislte.... ODD.. i felt around inside the TB for the gasket you mentiond think that due to age a piece of it my be pushed inot the airway from my tinkering with the air box but i couldn't feel anything adnormal...

Was thinking about chaning out to a fastman so i guess i will get a new gasket. Is it a stright fowrad install or do i have to take pieces off the old one and replace onto the new TB?
Make sure you have a gasket between the TB and air cleaner , that can be had at any local parts store..

Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Mudbone25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happend to your Mopar air cleaner. Your back to the K&N now?

Quick Reply: TB whistle, I'm stumped.....