2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EUREKA!!! 11-12-2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buttoned Up - Starting Issues

Unfortunately the way I read the 2001 Service Manual it looks like the only way to verify timing is with a DRB scan tool. I guess the dealer would have to do this? We have a Snap-On MT2500 scanner at work and I know for my truck it doesn't have an option to set the timing.You might try hooking up the light just to see where the timing is at, but I don't think it can be adjusted without using the scan tool.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:15 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

fix the fuel tank 1st. you already know there is an issue there, dont waste time on any other issue until it's fixed. the tank should be under a vacuum, when you open the cap, you should hear a rush of air into the tank. if you dont, you still have something wrong with it.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

fix the fuel tank 1st. you already know there is an issue there, dont waste time on any other issue until it's fixed. the tank should be under a vacuum, when you open the cap, you should hear a rush of air into the tank. if you dont, you still have something wrong with it.
OK, I will start with the emission system and got through all of that today.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

forgot to add though that the rush of air, gets built up over the duration of the tank... if you dont hear it that doesnt mean the vacuum system is not working... what i'd do is yank the vacuum line to the canister off at the tank and put a vacuum pump on it and see if it holds a vacuum. if not, then pull the other end of the line off and plug it to make sure its holding vacuum end to end.

from the sound of it though yours acts like it's building up pressure and forcing fuel out of the tank when hot...

Old 10-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend

forgot to add though that the rush of air, gets built up over the duration of the tank... if you dont hear it that doesnt mean the vacuum system is not working... what i'd do is yank the vacuum line to the canister off at the tank and put a vacuum pump on it and see if it holds a vacuum. if not, then pull the other end of the line off and plug it to make sure its holding vacuum end to end.

from the sound of it though yours acts like it's building up pressure and forcing fuel out of the tank when hot...
And you may be right

I just took the truck out for a test drive and noted the following: I didn't have the hose from the oil breather to the air cleaner box connected; runs strange and the idle fluctuates when the throttle is steady; when I am cruising at 60mph, it doesn't feel like it, and the torque converter is slow to engage from stops.

When I got home, I confirmed what I already knew in that the TC was 1.5 quarts low. OK, too care of that. Went back to the garage to grab my scan tool and clear the codes from the PCM when *sniff* *sniff*, I smell gas. Sure enough, gas is coming out of the vent hose again. So, I took a stab and cracked the gas cap open and *whoosh* comes a lot of fumes, and the gas flow from the vent stopped.

Could it be so simple that I need a new gas cap? Here are pictures of what my tank setup looks like. Note that I do not have provisions for the overflow valves.

I cleared the code for the misfire (which I re-checked to be on cylinders #4 and #8. I am going to rewire the distributor properly and then take it for a spin. Also, I noted in the FSM that if the position of the distributor was not marked when the engine was disassembled that the is a way to align it properly. I will probably perform that procedure as well, because I think that the engine is firing off from 0º, hence my fluctuating idle.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:52 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

so when you released the gas cap, fumes came out as to say the tank was under pressure and not vacuum?

that free hose in your pic, where is it supposed to go?
and is that the line that the fuel is coming out of?

Old 10-28-2006, 05:22 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice spot Steve, I read your post and looked again and it sure looks like that hose has been leaking something.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Gary-L
Legend

so when you released the gas cap, fumes came out as to say the tank was under pressure and not vacuum?
Yes.

that free hose in your pic, where is it supposed to go?
That is the flex line that goes to the hard line for the charcoal canister in the frame rail.

and is that the line that the fuel is coming out of?
Yes.

I clamped the upper part of the large filler hose, cleared the codes, and took the truck for a drive. I did not reinstall the gas cap. It lacks power. If I mash the throttle, it downshifts, but doesn't seem to easily go beyond 65mph. I am letting it cool down now so I can reroute the wiring. I am going to check for vacuum leaks and do some more reading in the Haynes for some troubleshooting ideas. If anyone else has any ideas, I welcome them. I'll be checking back every few hours in this thread.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

looks like the equiv. line from this picture off my 2000...

https://dodgeforum.com/upfiles/2745/...2E02D995DA.jpg

the line is the hard plastic one on the right.

could we be looking in the wrong area? is it possible the evap purge solenoid has an issue with it where the vacuum is present all the time? the reason I say that is in the FSM page 2819, it describes the operation of the solenoid where its supposed to draw the vapor out of the tank and feed it back into the intake. if there is avacuum on that line steady, it would appear that there is pressure on that line when in reality it's a vacuum drawing it up. it says that once it's in closed loop mode, the solenoid gets activated 8~10 times/sec. could that solenoid be stuck open and the vacuum is present all the time? slap a vacuum guage on the line going to the solenoid and find out.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend

OK, this is making sense now. My evap/purge solenoid is located on the driver's side rear of the intake. I might have the line from the throttle body (hard plastic) and another line from *somewhere* installed backwards on it.

Quick Reply: EUREKA!!! 11-12-2006