2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
jusfuris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

sorry glideman, i didnt see your post at first.

well first off i have the 5.2L instead of the 5.9L like you and yes it is an off-road (good eye). and i just do about 10-15min drives to work or town. and since i live in a small town theres not many stop lights to make it stop-and-go much. and its a 5spd, which those usually get better mpg if not driven hard.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
ASH
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

So the 14" x 3" ones have more filter area, hypothetically letting in more CFM of air. Question is, does that really matter. It all depends on how much CFM your engine really needs.
I think it does. Here's what I wrote in an earlier post:
As a comparison, the stock filter is 13.5" x 6.6". This provides 89.1 square inches of filter.

The 14" x 2" filter provides 87.9 square inches of filter.

The 14" x 3" filter provides 132 square inches of filter.

Note that these numbers are rough. I'm not taking into account the pleats in the filter and I'm using outside dimensions, but they provide a good comparison.

The 14" x 3" filter provides about 1.5 times the filtering area of the stock, which is quite a bit. The 14" x 2" is comparable to stock, but the round design has better flow characteristics than the stock setup provides.

Even on the low end of the rpm range, I've noticed an improvement when Ireplaced the 2" filter withthe 3" high filter. Not much, but it is there. The mid to upper range is definately better. If you can sqeeze the 3" in, do it. It worked for me with the Mr. Gasket setup.

To answer Broke15yrold, it should also help out the smaller motor. You can probably get away with a smaller filter. You just have to check the diameter of the throttle body opening on your truck before getting one. The 5.2 and 5.9 motorshave a5 1/8" opening. Not sure what yours is. Mr. Gasket has a 9" by 2-3/4" high unit that fits the 5-1/8" TB. Part number is 1487. Or use the one I purchased for my truck which is part number 1480. Tip -pull off you air cleaner assembly and measure the rubber gasket. This will give you the diameter of the neck opening very easily.

Since tomorrow is friday, I'll probably bring the truck to work. Need to run it at least once a week to keep the mice out of it. If I have the time and remember, I'll grab my thermometer and measure the outside air temperature and the temperature at the air filter. I ran a series of tests like this last year. This will give us some data on actual air temperature that is getting pulled in under the hood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26321/459A54DE117C4369ABA73B02D5DED1A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
broke15yrold

Thanks, Ash........Im in the process of saving some cash for one

Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
dustrunner03

OK I'm sold on the "Old-School" round set-up!!! I haven't seen the answer to my ? so.........I'm trashin my stock for round...How does the "S" bolt anchor??? Do I buy or fab something???

Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

The throttle body has a spot to screw in the s-bolt, it's not centered and thus the need for a s-bolt. My Mopar set-up came with a staight bolt that I just had to bend so the top hole lined up.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you can fab your own buy just buying a rod of 1/4"-20 from Lowes or Home Depot. It costs less then a buck I recall, and bend it like what was posted earlier in this thread (I think that was posted), and cut it ot length. It's pretty simple.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
dustrunner03

Thanks Guys.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
ASH
Veteran

I did a run today to check the air temperature in using the round air filter. I have a thermometer with a hard wired remotesensor that I stuck in the front center of the air filter element. That way it is measuring the air being pulled into the air cleaner. The outside air temperature was 50 F when I started out. I didn't measure it on the way into work.

Afterdriving for 5 miles, the temperature climbed to 75 degrees. I stopped at the post office for a minute to drop off a package. When I came out, it had climbed to 98 degrees. I went through thetown and climbed our local mountain (foothill to those elsewhere) and the temperature dropped back down to 81 degrees at the top. Coasting down the other side it went up to 84 degrees and stayed there for most of the rest of the trip. I had to stop for a minute at another stop sign at the ten mile mark. It climbed into the 90's again while stopped, but dropped down to 81 - 84 degrees after about a mile of driving.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to stomp on it after it was warmed up. It was raining fairly steadily and I had too much traffic in front of me. I would have liked to see how much the temperature dropped when sucking a lot of air through the engine.

I had run a series of tests like this last year when I was a newbie here. Here's the link. https://dodgeforum.com/m_403189/tm.htm
To give you a summary, the stock intake and K&N style intake will still increase the outside air temperature by about 10 degrees, just due to heat soak. Theround air filterappears torun about 30 - 35 degrees higher than the outside air temperature. Wrapping your stock or K&N tube with insulation keeps the temperature cooler when in stop and go traffic, but doesn't make a difference when traveling down the road. I should have run some tests in the summer when it was hotter.
My conclusion is to stick with the round filter, even though your engine is getting warmer air. That air still has to move through the big intake where it will slow down and pick up heat. The air flow characteristics of the round filter are just so much better than stock.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's some good information Andy. I agree, even though the temps are higher, I think the higher air flow volume into the intake is what is more important.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:08 AM
ripto
Captain

So lets hear some of those mpg updates from those that are using it. I know Colorado has been hammered with snow these past couple of weeks so I understand your issues.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More