2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:42 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

Will the New "S" bolt that the Fastman Throttle Body comes with work with this setup? Or do you have to fab your own for it to work.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is exactly like that, only the height might be different. But that is the exact shape you need, so if it is not long enough, make another the same shape, only longer.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:27 PM
dirty dog
Professional

hey guys i dont have no s bolt on my throttle body i dont know if it is something that they have changed in the year 2000 or what but i was wondering if i could still use this setup without the s bolt but if not im buying the fastman anyway

Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

You will need an s-bolt, or else drill a new hole in the cover that lines up with your TB hole. If you have the stock air hat (regardless of what TB you have, stock or fastman), you have no s-bolt. People who have s-bolts are those running aftermarket airhats like mine, Airraid, and others. The K&N FIPK airhat used a straight bolt, and just offset the hole in the air hat to line up with the hole in the TB.

It will cost you nothing to make an s-bolt since the kit comes with a straight bolt that you can bent. If you mess it up, you can buy a rod of 1/4"-20 threaded at Lowes or Home Depot for about $0.90, and bend that. It is a peice of cake. I used a vice, but I bet I could have bent it to work using a set of vice grips and a set of plyers.

Here is a few examples of how to bend it. Ignore the height (4" and 4.5") because that will vary depending on how tall of a filter you use. I suggest leaving it a bit long, then test fit it, and cut off what you need to fit your application.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/7CC592CAC39D46DB837C68D5D74B0390.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/EBACE595036C4BC0BBCBC862C7B8E861.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
mbthomp

Hey, I'm needing to do a tune-up. What plug wires are you using?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Not sure who your asking, but I'm using the 7.5mm Mopar Performance wires.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Finally have a mileage update for you all who are interested. This last full tank came out at 1 to 2 mpg worse then average. I usually average about 12-13mpg in the city, and this last tank was 11.51. I haven't tested my highway mileage yet, but I don't really expect any change (usually 15-16 highway). I don't necessarily attribute this to the new air filter set-up though since:

1) It has been cold as a witches tit for the last two weeks (single digit temps). My mileage is always a little worse when it is that cold because the pickup stays in warm-up mode longer, and generally runs richer, using more fuel.
2) It has snowed good several times, and has been extremely icy, requiring that I use four wheel drive more frequently, which doesn't help on mileage.
3) Being that it is snowy and icy, I have 400lbs of weight in the back of the truck. Great for traction, but probably doesn't help any in the mileage department.
4) When the road conditions permitted, I have been driving hard because I am enjoying how well the truck is running with this setup.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm not supprised, we have a winter fuel that gets us 1~2 mpg loss in the winter, it could be that is what your getting.

on the diesel side we have the same issue... a winter blend is used to prevent fuel gelling. some have reported a 1~2 mpg loss since the cold weather has arrived.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
erikb45
Veteran

ok im sold!! bro this is great. i was goin for the fipk too. not any more!! the look is great the performance is great thanx alot for posting your info this is why forums exist . ordering mine tommorrow

Old 12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Just an update. I've been really busy, but finally got a chance to go out and get this measured correctly. I finally have an answer for you all who might want to buy this kit, but use a K&N filter instead of the paper filter that comes with the kit. Turns out, the base is actually 13". The paper filter that comes with this kit is actually 12.75" diameter when measured by hand. So, the correct K&N Filter part number should be 1530 or 1535, depending on how tall you want to go. Personally, I'm still running the paper filter, and am still extremely happy with how it is performing. I plan to get the 1535 K&N for comparisons, but I could live with the paper filter if I had to. They filter better anyway. Hope this helps for those wanting to get this.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More