2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I'm glad that others are reporting similar results that I am having, and on trucks with varying amounts of mods too. I can't take credit for starting this thing though, it was RM Indy that got me interested in it, and when I found the Mopar one that, cosmetically, went well with my valve covers, I just had to try it. I'm extremely happy with it, both from a performance and visual standpoints.
I was also leaning towards the round air filter after reading a little of what RM_Indy had done. I wasdefinitely thinking ofgoing with the Ramair system he had but after seeing yours Silver there was no question on what was going in my truck, but your right RM_Indy had me heading in that direction already.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Glideman88
Professional

Sorry, but I couldn't let this thread just fade away....

I added a couple things to the new air cleaner. A chrome 3-wing nut (kind of hard to see in the pics) and I found a seller on Ebay who sells retro-style Mopar decals.

I remember these decals on the old Mopars from 30+ years ago. I have to admit that I'm not sure if the decal adds any more horsepower or MPG, but I sure like the way it looks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26738/74680198070542DAADAFCA8082DD1286.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26738/98D57D0364AC40B8A0B676AADC2A55C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, that looks awesome! I thought mine looked retro/old school, but that is really the look of a late 60's/early 70's muscle. Nice job! Who was the name of the seller on ebay by the way?
That should add at least 20 hp for the sticker by itself, and a wingnut is good for another 5 (so i've heard on the ricer forums).

Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Glideman88
Professional

Thanks Silver! As you've probably noticed, I still haven't washed the engine. That chrome filter looks like a diamondsitting on top of a turd!

The Seller has his own Ebay Store and specializes in retro reproductions for all sorts of brand and model vehicles. http://stores.ebay.com/American-Motorabilia

Old 01-03-2007, 04:04 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glideman88
I agree, that sticker had to add 20hp! Looks great! Me likey

Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM
jusfuris

So which on do you guys think performs better? Power increaseand MPG wise, the Mopar Performance or the Edlebrock?

also, and this may be a dumb question but i just want to make sure, are these every bit as safe for my engine as the stock filter? i just dont want to risk hurting my engine at all

Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't say which is better, i've only tried the Mopar Performance one. I don't think any of the guys who have tried the Edelbrock/Mr. Gasket/K&N ones have tried the Mopar one and vise versa. That said, logic would seem to indicate that the Edelbrock/Mr. Gasket/K&N ones would be a little better since it is a 14" x 3", and the Mopar is a 13" x 2.87". So the 14" x 3" ones have more filter area, hypothetically letting in more CFM of air. Question is, does that really matter. It all depends on how much CFM your engine really needs. At some point, you have all the air the engine/pcm can handle in a standard intake stroke, and adding the ability to have more air will do nothing because the cyclinder will already be as full as it can be (unless you compress that air, i.e.turbo or supercharger, then you can add more air). So hypothetically, they could actually perform the exact same if both flow equal to or more then what the engine actually needs. All I know is, I am damned pleased with how mine performs with the mods I have, plus it looks good with my valve covers.

As far as safety, I would not run this setup if you like to go through deep water or mud, or otherwise get a good amount of water up in your engine bay. The stock setup will perform better in that type of environment. I never see deep water, and if I do, I will use caution with this setup. Otherwise, I see no reason why it is not as safe as the stock setup. Air filtration should be more then sufficient with the paper filter. If you opt to go with a K&N filter, there is a lot of debate as to whether its filtration is adequate for engine longevity. More air flow means more particals getting in. Some studies show paper filters filtering out as much as 99% of particles, while a K&N is like 97%. Question that is up for debate is whether that extra 2% makes a difference on longevity.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
theshocker
Veteran

I second that Silver! I picked up a K&N filter and I love this mod. The sound,looks and performace. It's still to early to tell but as of right know I am getting a little better MPG as well.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Glideman88
Professional

well said, Silver.....mine is a "Mr Gasket"

Old 01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
jusfuris

thanks man. i dont go barreling through mud holes or anything like that. i actually havent even taken it off roading yet. i just really want some more power in the upper rpms, as i have the 4.10 gears and those kill the power there. and i was gonna get the K&N FIPK but now i think ill get this, WAY cheaper and looks atleast as good.

oh by the way, i already consistanly get 14.2mpg city/16.1mpg highway. so i doubt that will get much better if any, i just want more power

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More