2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM
broke15yrold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

Would any of you reccomend this for the 3.9?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's cheap enough (like $30-$40 for most of the non-Mopar ones) that it would probably be worth a try. If you don't like it, it's not like your out $275 like you would be getting a K&N FIPK or other CAI.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Glideman88
Professional

ORIGINAL: jusfuris

oh by the way, i already consistanly get 14.2mpg city/16.1mpg highway. so i doubt that will get much better if any, i just want more power
Looks like your truck is an Off-Road too. What are you doing right now to get such good gas mileage.

I was so happy with gettingnearly 14 mpg, that I almost had to change into a clean pair of boxers! [sm=escape.gif]

Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM
jusfuris

so can anyone tell me the benifit to the K&N fipk, if there is any? why would anyone buy that once given this information?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:43 PM
broke15yrold

So you don't think it would affect a smaller motor?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: jusfuris

so can anyone tell me the benifit to the K&N fipk, if there is any? why would anyone buy that once given this information?
The main benefit is that it has a heat sheild, and locates the filter up near the grill so that it is far away from the heat of the engine. The theory is that this colder, more dense air will result in more power. Personally, I think that for a daily driver, your not going to see that much difference if your air temp coming into the intake happens to be a little lower. I think the reason these round 14" x 3" setups work so well is that the air velocity and volume are better then what you will see with a FIPK or other CAI. Since these trucks are speed density designs rather then mass air, your still limited with how well the truck will respond to air intake upgrades anyway.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
jusfuris

ok well now in just excited, im gonna be ordering mine soon. thanks so much for the review and info!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

More on this topic, I found this on another forum, here is just an exerpt. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of this, just something I though was interesting.:

"The Myth: An open element air cleaner will cause detonation, due to the engine ingesting hot, underhood air.
Test procedure: Temperatures were taken using a scanner that plugs into the diagnostic port, and is capable of reading the factory temp sensor while driving. Keep in mind that the sensor on a 5.9 is in the intake manifold, and these temps are what the computer actually "sees" and responds to. In my opinion, there is no more accurate way of measuring air intake temp.

The tests: Test #1 was done last August ( 80 degrees ambient) with a factory stock airbox. Test #2 was done today (86 degrees ambient), with a 14x3 open element air cleaner, and K&N air filter. Readings were taken after driving more than 10 miles, and multiple readings were taken at each speed, then averaged out.

The facts (in degrees):

Stock : Open Element
Idling 165 : 150
*35mph 140 : 145
45mph 155 : 142
55mph 153 : 141

* note that at 35mph in traffic, it was difficult to maintain a constant throttle position-coasting consistantly produced higher temp readings."

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM
topsites
Professional

I stand in disbelief at the garbage that manufacturers put under the hood of a car!
Wires, cap and rotor, air filter, coil = All these items on a new car are inferior garbage!
For the price we pay for a new car, isn't it about time manufacturers put some working stuff under the hood?
Surely it costs at least as much for all that plastic rigmarole than the shiny generic performance intake.

Improvement? Brother, it's horsepower you can FEEL!
Gas mileage? Well, if you can stay off the throttle, then yes.
I used to get 14-15mpg on my '86 D-250 while towing a trailer around, with the same improvements.

Now I'm on a budget and I did my air filter for around $25 for the generic model, and the bolt I had to shear with a grinder, then after I threaded it in, I hit it back with a hammer until the cover went on smooth LOL.
Bonus: The air filter is a LOT easier to replace now!
I wanted to put a bigger paper element air filter in there, but the stupid wire harness is in the way, oh well.
Anyway here it is and sorry it's not all clean (btw, I like your blue wires):

Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
cvec7
Professional

Now, of couse I'm wanting to do this too.... what kind of drop should I go with? Is 1/2" enough? too much? ect.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More