2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Paele
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

SLVER_

BTW, speaking of headers, I visted your site and saw that you installed edelbrocks....which ones do you have, and any comments on them?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paele

SLVER_

BTW, speaking of headers, I visted your site and saw that you installed edelbrocks....which ones do you have, and any comments on them?

I have part# 65642. They are the Edelbrock silver ceramic coated kind, not the Ti-Tech coated kind that others on this forum have had problems with.
Overall, I am very happy with them. They still look good, and have never leaked at the head. I have had to change out the lead donuts where the header meets the y-pipe. That is just a poor design in my opinion. The swap is pretty easy though. Next time I plan to just use a copper dead-soft instead of another lead donut. I have heard that this takes car of the problem. They did produce a noticable gain, mostly in the higher RPM range.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice setup with the air cleaner ... i just ordered 1 myself. as long as im taking notes here the valve covers ? what the # i check for my 1996 they have the crome valve cover for 199. bucks..to much...but how much was yours ? and update us on the air cleaner ...Thanks.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

The valve covers were part number P5249343, and I paid $169 shipped from Southeast R/T. www.southeastrt.com

Little update for you all. I wasn't really expecting there to be much of a performance gain. I was mostly after the looks of this setup, and to make it easier to get access to the passenger side of the engine compartment. But now that I have driven with this setup for a few days on my usual drive to work (where I know exactly how my truck performs), I can say without a doubt that this setup outperforms the K&N FIPK I had. I'm not saying the FIPK was bad (it is superior to the stock air assembly for sure). I just feel like I have more power across the board now. I can pull hills better then before, and acceleration is improved. I'm sure i'm going to pay for it in mpg because increased air usage means increase fuel usage, but if I cared much about that, I wouldn't be putting performance part on to begin with. I'm not saying everyone will have the same experience. It could be the combination of my other mods that make this a better option for me. All I know is, I am extremely happy with it.

I'll update you on my mpg once I get a few tanks under my belt to compare with.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Cool, i'm interested to see how it affected your mileage.

did you ever look at this as an option? http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html I saw one setup that had the lid you have on your filter replacing the one here. looked damn sweet.

living in CA one could never get away with that one... hey speaking of which, what did you do with the vent tube off the valve cover?

Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Yes, I looked at that ramairbox, but I don't like the look of the dryer-like tubes leading up to the box. I know RM Indy used that setup though, and really liked it. I'm happy with what I got now though, it's simple and clean looking. As for the valve cover vent tube, I just removed it and put a standalone breather on the valve cover. It is visible in the picture.

Why could you not have this in CA? Emissions?

Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

smog ****'s... the state of california believes that any performance part needs to be proven to not cause increased emmissions output... thus the EO numbers you see on some performance parts. if they see anything w/o an EO number, it will fail the visual.

I looked for something where the tube was but didnt see it... might have to look closer.

one other question... when you did the install from the K&N setup, did you have to swap the center TB stud for the new assembly?

ya know... every time I see pics of your engine... I swear it never leaves your garage... its too damn clean to see pavement lol [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 11-14-2006, 03:52 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice setup. I am going to order one tonight. I am glad I held off on getting the FIPK! I had the same question about the breather as steve05ram360. I see the breather on the left side but what about the PCV breather on the right side with the hose leading to the intake mainfold? I cant really tell what you did from the angle of your pictures..

Old 11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

The PCV doesn't change. It goes from the PCV in the passenger side valve cover directly into the intake below the TB. This is the stock setup. For the driver side, I just replaced the stock breather that went from the rear of the valve cover to the air hat with this stand-alone breather. They are like $5 at any parts store.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/861F1AADDCCD4656A65CD9A87CD9B31D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

... when you did the install from the K&N setup, did you have to swap the center TB stud for the new assembly?
Yes, you have to replace the FIPK bolt with an s-bolt which I fabbed myself. Took about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More