2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

You send it to them, and they overnight it back. I had about three pcm's laying around at the time, so I sent them on of those so I wouldn't have to have my truck down for 2-3 days.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 PM
motox851
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put this setup on my 97 when it was cold. It ran great, however when it warmed up to around 80 outside I noticed it didn't run as good. I took it off and put the stock intake on it to see what happens. It ran alot better with the stock intake on it. For now I am sticking with stock intake. Just my opinion.
I have a question though. In another post people were talking about the powerwire. It was some kind of wire that tricked the computer into thinking the incoming air was colder. With this setup wouldn't the computer make your engine run leaner because of the warmer air coming into the TB causing you to have less power. It seems keeping the cool air coming in would help with the air/fuel mixture in the computer.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You stated you had 3 PCM's lying around, I thought they were application specific?????? So I could go to a salvage yard and get a PCM out of a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L and it would work on my truck?????????

Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I have a 2000 1500 andsent them one from a 2001(IIRC-it was either '99 or'01- I know it was a year off from mine) 2500. He will flash yous vin# in if you want.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: mcss8541

You stated you had 3 PCM's lying around, I thought they were application specific?????? So I could go to a salvage yard and get a PCM out of a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L and it would work on my truck?????????
You can run another trucks PCM, but it has to be the same trans, and it has to be the same security group (factory alarm/security feature), and it should be from the same year. If those match, it should run your truck. If you plan to buy a PCM just for the purpose of sending it off to be flashed then you can often buy another years PCM for this purpose. However, it must still be the same trans and security group. I don' think this applies to '98 though. I've been told that a '98 can only be replaced with a '98. A '99 or newer can be replaced with any '99 or newer.

I had a stock PCM, and two Mopar Performance PCM's (all used from other 99's that matched my truck), and they all worked great in my truck. I sold the stock PCM to a guy, and sent one of the Mopar PCM's to B&G to be flashed. They called me and told me that since it was not my stock PCM, it would never work in my truck (same thing John Mercedes told me). I politely informed B&G (and John) that that is not true since I have run 3 different used PCM's from other trucks, and they all worked fine. So B&G flashed it for me, and even encoded my VIN into it, and it works absolutly beautifully. So now I have my stock PCM (incase I want to go back), a back-up Mopar performance PCM, and my B&G flashed PCM. I think i'm set.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Roger that! Now a last couple of questions and I won't bother much. 1) If I run this Fastman 50mm TB everyone's been the rave about would it be a good idea to go in injector size? and 2) I have the latest JC Whitney catalog and the Airaid brand cold air intake is identical to the K&N FIPK system but a $100 less. It boast 18hp gain whereas the K&N boasts 26.3. Don't get me wrong I've been a K&N fan since I can remember but when you look at the pics of the 2 systems and their components they look identical, what do you think? I plan on getting the MOPAR system from Summit Racing but I want to hear more data on running it during the hot summer months, so far a few guys ststed they quit running it in the summer because their performance dropped off which I can kinda understand since the hot engine heat combined with the hot outside ambient temp is hot your engine has no choice but to suck in hot air. Well I'll wait to hear back from you.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: mcss8541

Roger that! Now a last couple of questions and I won't bother much. 1) If I run this Fastman 50mm TB everyone's been the rave about would it be a good idea to go in injector size? and 2) I have the latest JC Whitney catalog and the Airaid brand cold air intake is identical to the K&N FIPK system but a $100 less. It boast 18hp gain whereas the K&N boasts 26.3. Don't get me wrong I've been a K&N fan since I can remember but when you look at the pics of the 2 systems and their components they look identical, what do you think? I plan on getting the MOPAR system from Summit Racing but I want to hear more data on running it during the hot summer months, so far a few guys ststed they quit running it in the summer because their performance dropped off which I can kinda understand since the hot engine heat combined with the hot outside ambient temp is hot your engine has no choice but to suck in hot air. Well I'll wait to hear back from you.
1) Your stock injectors are capable of upwards of 500hp ('ive seen trucks doing it). Plus, if you change injector size, you will definetly need a PCM flash so your PCM knows how to utilize them.
2) For me, the jury is still out on how the round filter is going to perform in the hot summer. I just installed this setup last Novemeber, so I have not tested it in the summer months yet. This is why I am hanging onto my FIPK just incase I need it for a couple of months. As for the Airaid, I tried an Airaid as my first CAI back when it was the old design. Personally, I was not impressed. The quality was terrible. Not only did the air hat never seal good on the TB, but the tube rusted on the inside from condensation. That rust is past the filter at that point, so not what you want to see happening. If they are now making the same design as the FIPK, then that just confirms to me that they had to get away from their original crappy design (which is a design that is now a dime a dozen on eBay), and are now just following what other companies are doing that has been proven to work good. Oh, and guess what other wonderful product Airaid makes...TB spacers. Another junk product that is all hype and fake dyno results, but in reality makes no real performance. I will never buy anything from Airaid again.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Roger That! I found out about the TB spacer first hand when I bought one a couple of years ago trying to get more mpg puta my Jeep Wrangler Sport and it was a crock. The reason I was asking about the Airaid system because it looks exactly like the K&N but thanks for the help. Any thoughts on this M1 intake?????

Old 04-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I haven't tried one yet, but I hear almost all good about them.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Ganderguy
Rookie

I live down here in Texas and today the temp was mid 80's with high humidity (as usual) and mine ran just as good as it did when it was 60 degrees outside. just my experience with it.
idle seems fine
oil pressure
water temp
and just as much power
so I would say it's no problem in the heat, but lets wait until it hits 100 degrees outside!

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More