2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 PM
ray97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

I live in Yuma and about a week or so it was in the mid 90's for a few days and I did not notice a difference. I will wait for it to get to the summer temps here. hahahaha Should be somewhere around 120.Then we will know if can handle the heat or not.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
JoeC1981
Professional

Well I did the conversion this weekend and wow. It looks nice, sounds really nice, and throttle response is much improved. Seems to have a bit more power. I used the mr gasket 1480, k&n filter and spectre breather. I needed a 1" riser to clear a bolt on the intake manifold. I reset the pcm, so after this tank i'll see what my fuel mileage is. Thanks guys for the idea.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:37 PM
spaz_22
Captain

so i'm going to be doing this mod to my 2000 dodge ram 5.2. I'm going to get the edlebrock 14" air cleaner and buy a 1/2" raiser. So my question is the stand alone breather. I'm guessing the one i have to replace is the one that is hooked into the original air assembly. And the one that goes into the intake manifold remain untouched. Is this correct. Is the pcv valve the one that goes into the intake? This one is on my driverside valve cover, and the one that goes into the air assembly has a long tube that is routed around the air assemly into the passenger side valve cover. Is this the one that i replace?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 PM
trukr36
Amateur

Yeah spaz_22. The one on the driver side is the one where the stand alone breather cap goes. Mine's a '98, 5.2. My PCV is on the pass. side, goes into the intake. Original driver side hose went into the air box. Took that hose off and pulled out the plastic elbow going into the grommet and pushed in a Mr.Gasket oil breather cap, can't remember the part # for it though.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Instigater

I did the round air cleaner too, and just put in the chrome breather that Advanced Auto Parts has. I think it is the 1 1/4" My breather is on the driver side also!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
LomcevakDuck
Rookie

The temp here got a little above 90*F here today and I wanted to let everyone know that I've had no problems with this round air filter sucking in hot air, even from a traffic light. I did a good bit of driving today because I just put on a new high flow cat and a 50 Series Delta Flow Flowmaster muffler single in single out side. Love the way it sounds and it's not too loud i the cabin at highway speeds either, which is what I wanted. Gotta love that Dodge rumble.
-Steve

Old 05-02-2007, 10:44 PM
ray97
Veteran

It hit 100 yesterday here and I had no problems... so far so good

Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 AM
swirvin21

Just finished reading the entire thread...nice work Silver, looks like you started a following!

It's interesting to see that technological advances haven't advanced much in AC's in the past 50 yrs.

I've got a spare K&N setup at home, will give it a shot when I get back in town.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2007, 05:08 PM
LomcevakDuck
Rookie

When I did this mod I installed the Spectre valve cover breather on the drivers side, just stuck it in to the hole. Feels a little loose but is riding ok. I decided I wanted a better seal and bought the Spectre valve cover grommet that is supposed to fit this breather, but it won't go into the valve cover. What did you guys do? Just leave it loose, or am I missing something? I drive a lot on dirt roads and I'm worried about getting crap in there.

Also just rolled over 100 miles since this mod and my exhaust mod. I can tell a big difference in the mid to high end acceleration (2250+) but I've noticed very little if any improvement in low-end torque and throttle response at lower speeds. I'm hoping this will change when I get the Fastman TB on there. I think I might go ahead and do the Viper rocker arms and MSD distributor and wires when I get the TB. Right now I'm running all Bosch stuff. Including plugs that seem to missfire every now and then at a low throttle setting at interstate speeds.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

OK. Do any of you guys have a loud "whistling" sound since you have switched to the round air cleaner? I know mine is tight, and I made a new gasket that the aircleaner sits on that is thick rubber and cork, so I don't think I have any leak there. When I start the truck it whistles and once it warms up it does it at a certain throttle position or anytime you pass that throttle position. I can understand that maybe it makes the sound because of the restriction going into the tb due to the throttle blades closing the air down - but it doesn't make the noise if you have the air cleaner off. Any suggestions?? I have the 14x3 with a K&N filter.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More