2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Blackjack07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

Fastman the local favorite/best? And how much would it cost about?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
spaz_22
Captain

Fastman is the local favorite becuase he has great costumer serves, and his tbs work very well. The dodge forum price is 219 plus 80 dollars refundable core

Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

TB is throttle body. I saw a 2 mpg increase when I did my fastman TB. Helps if you have some sort of air intake too, anything better then the stock air assembly.
IMHO, The stock air assembly is way better than an open filter. Think about it. You think DC just had some extra tubing lying around. Or maybe they had some presses with nothing better to do than cut holes in inner fenders. Maybe all the air/ fuel guys/engineers have just been smoking crack for the last 20 years. I really have to hand it to Silver Dodge on this one. This pretty much rivals Burning Rom saying that boost does no good unless you have a MacIntosh under the hood. https://dodgeforum.com/m_376205/tm.htm
If you're running any kind type ofheaders............never mind wife just called

Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Blackjack07

Whats the deal on the forum discount gotta leave him a code or something in the comment section?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mopowar

TB is throttle body. I saw a 2 mpg increase when I did my fastman TB. Helps if you have some sort of air intake too, anything better then the stock air assembly.
IMHO, The stock air assembly is way better than an open filter. Think about it. You think DC just had some extra tubing lying around. Or maybe they had some presses with nothing better to do than cut holes in inner fenders. Maybe all the air/ fuel guys/engineers have just been smoking crack for the last 20 years. I really have to hand it to Silver Dodge on this one. This pretty much rivals Burning Rom saying that boost does no good unless you have a MacIntosh under the hood. https://dodgeforum.com/m_376205/tm.htm
If you're running any kind type ofheaders............never mind wife just called
Way better in what way? Keep in mind that auto engineers have to design every component not just for performance reasons. For example, if every new truck they made came out with a round filter like mine, I think Chrysler would be swamped with law suits from guys who take their truck into mud and get water and mud up all over the exposed filter, so they designed a protected filter assembly. And how many non-performance oriented people who might buy a truck would take it back shortly after and complain that the open round filter is too noisy? So Chrysler designed an insolated filter box that eliminates almost all air intake noise. So the stock air assembly IS better in some ways. But becasue it was designed to meet all these other requirements (water resistance, sound level reduction, gas mileage, emissions, engine asthtics, and many others i'm sure) the performance ability has been reduced. And that happens to be the only area I am concerened with, not all those other areas that the stock assembly may have been designed for.

Think about this, the air comes in through the fender, has to make a 90 degree turn into the air tube. That air tube has ridges because it stretches and flexes. Those ridges on the inside of the tube do not help air flow, only hinder. Then, once the air gets to the air filter, it has to turn 90 degrees up to go through the filter, then another 180 degrees back down to enter the TB. After all this, can you still tell me that there is not a more efficient way to get air into the intake? Besides, the results I have seen using the round filter assembly have not lied.

So yes, the stock intake may be better in some areas, but performance is not one of them. If the only requirement Chrysler engineers had when designing the air intake on a second gen Ram was performance, then I would wager that we would have seen trucks come out with a much different filter assembly then they did. But they had other requirements to consider.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Well said Silver! If the engineers at Dodge only had to design for performance - I'm sure we would all have functioning hood scoops w/ram air like the old days. I can tell that I have more power with the open setup - and I have been a part of racing and performance cars for many years so I feel I am qualified to make that statement.
If the original factory setup is so good - why aren't they on every race car in the country? The late model I work on makes 800 hp - has the same a/c and filter I have on the truck now.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Way better in what way? Keep in mind that auto engineers have to design every component not just for performance reasons. For example, if every new truck they made came out with a round filter like mine, I think Chrysler would be swamped with law suits from guys who take their truck into mud and get water and mud up all over the exposed filter, so they designed a protected filter assembly. And how many non-performance oriented people who might buy a truck would take it back shortly after and complain that the open round filter is too noisy? So Chrysler designed an insolated filter box that eliminates almost all air intake noise. So the stock air assembly IS better in some ways. But becasue it was designed to meet all these other requirements (water resistance, sound level reduction, gas mileage, emissions, engine asthtics, and many others i'm sure) the performance ability has been reduced. And that happens to be the only area I am concerened with, not all those other areas that the stock assembly may have been designed for.

Think about this, the air comes in through the fender, has to make a 90 degree turn into the air tube. That air tube has ridges because it stretches and flexes. Those ridges on the inside of the tube do not help air flow, only hinder. Then, once the air gets to the air filter, it has to turn 90 degrees up to go through the filter, then another 180 degrees back down to enter the TB. After all this, can you still tell me that there is not a more efficient way to get air into the intake? Besides, the results I have seen using the round filter assembly have not lied.

So yes, the stock intake may be better in some areas, but performance is not one of them. If the only requirement Chrysler engineers had when designing the air intake on a second gen Ram was performance, then I would wager that we would have seen trucks come out with a much different filter assembly then they did. But they had other requirements to consider.
Sorry if I seemed abrasive, I was having some domestic issues. No excuse, but sorry just the same.When I said I had to hand it to you on this one my train of thought was really skewing from what I originally meant. Wich wasthe fact that you have created one hell of a following. I bet K&N, Volant, AEM etc. would get together and send you a check to shut up lol.

If you have any kind of headers, especially shorties, you are sucking in some pretty frigin hot air, wich in turn has the pcm pulling fuel as well as timing. Get a cheap scanner and do a test. Put your K&N back on and look where where your iat is. Then look at your timing and your fuel trims at various rpm's. Then put the open air back on and give it a look see. This is the scanner I use: http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3110-Dia.../dp/B0007VXZ7W. I found it on ebay for $99 plus shipping. It will give you most of the engines vitals.Downside is it doesn't do fuel sync.I am going to do a similar test when and ifI get my Ram air box (usps parcel post[:@]). I will run w/ tubes disconnected then with tubes connected.

I do agree that that a round filter has better flow characteristics, and I believe that the closer the filter is to the tb the better the flow. The filter rectifies turbulence, so if it is way up front at the end of a tube, the turbulence has time to redevelope. Especially at the 90* turn on top of the tb. With the stock box or a round filter the air is rectified then enters directly into the tb.

Race cars- Cup cars, Busch cars, and Craftsman trucks use cowl induction, or used to anyway. Not sure about the car of tomorrow. That is not a good option on our trucks since the tb is too far back in the motor compartment.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Blackjack07

Hey is the fastman TB increasing or decreasing in size vs the stock TB?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fastman is bigger.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Blackjack07

But doesn't that allow more air in hence using more gas?

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More