2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N FIPK No More

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:15 AM
1998 Ram Sport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK No More

[quote]ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Today, I switched to a round filter setup. I've been reading tons of posts from RM Indys and others using 14x3 round filter setups, and other similar types. I decided to get the Mopar Performance air filter. It comes with a paper 13.25 x 2.75 filter. I will be replacing it with a K&N, which comes in the size I have now, or a 13.25 x 2.87, or 13.25 x 3.12. I plan to use the biggest one I can get to fit.

This is hands down the best fitting air assembly I have installed (I have tried 3 other types). All the others were such a pain to take on and off. This fits tight and perfect, and is a breeze to install and remove. And a bonus is that I have the passenger side of my engine compartment open again. The FIPK really blocked access to a lot of stuff on that side.

As soon as I got on the road, I could tell a difference too. It feels like I just have more power, only way I can describe it. Escpecially in mid to high RPM range. I was suprised, because the filter I was running on my FIPK was rated at over 900cfm (much bigger then what it came with). Makes me wonder how much air velocity is lost through the tube. Air velocity into the TB with this setup should be pretty good. Yes, the air will be warmer then what my FIPK pulled in, but if air flow and velocity is better, I doubt it will matter much. If I was on the track, I might care, but for a daily driver, I think this will work well for me.

Anyway, here are some pics. I absolutly love how it looks and performs.

Nice setup silver. Major props. I washad one question thought. What does single 2 barrel, single 3 barrel, and single 4 barrel mean? Which one of these will fit my 1998 Ram Sport?

Old 09-09-2007, 04:06 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Ok, I have just read through this entire thread. I know I can go with the mr. gasket 1408 without any problems aparently, but the filter is smaller. I should probably just go with that, but I am rather interested in the edelbrock 1221. It looks very nice. Someone said a bolt was an issue with that air cleaner, however someone said they used it and it fit. The drop base is .625 on that model and the max drop is . 5", so that means i need a .125" spacer, and the 14x3 will still fit? I know these air filters have been gone over and over and over, and I know there is a write-up on the mopar one with a K&N, but I just want the edelbrock one with stock paper filter. What do I need 2 do to make it work?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

You might actually be able to get away with a .625" drop base.There seems to be just a touch more than a half inch clearance there I beleive.I'm not sure if anyone has tried that size. I've heard 1" and 1.5" which is definitely to much drop but you might be able to get away with it as it's only .125" lower than what we know does fit. The larger drop will allow you to run a slightly taller filter or at least give you more room with the same size filter. If the .625" drop fits you could probably fit a 3.5" tall filter in there. The bolt or screw that they're talking about is up underneath sticking down and might interfere with the placement, I think anyone that has had trouble with it just cut the end of it off.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Thanks so much, I am not concerned with that bolt anyway. Everyone seems to be cutting it off, and while you say i can go with 3.5, I think I would be just as happy with a 3" with a little easier time of getting the top on and stuff. Excellent! I am completely sold on the idea. And push come to shove, If that .125 does make that much of a difference, then I will just throw on an extra rubber gasket or something. No big deal at all. I jsut wanted to make sure that bolt they are talking about was not located on the throttlebody area, or something. eh, if it was anyway, its nothing a hammer couldnt fix. Thanks so much. Not doubting your answer, but anyone with this installed have any issues?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The bolt hangs down from under the engine bay, directly under the pass windshield wiper, just hacksaw it off as close to the engine bay as you can.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Wile C
Professional

Looks awesome dude. So glad there is an alternative to the ugly K&N FIPK. Been debating those kind of filters for sometime now. I have the drop in but wanted to get more air flow. I am definitely going to try that. Have the fastman tb on already. Should help some.

thanks for sharing the info

Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
19Ram99

Hey Silver_Dodge, got another question that I didn't ask on my PM's. Do you have a part number for that stand-alone breather you bought or is it just a standard breather?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
19Ram99

Will this one work?

Its from Summit ~ DCC-4529881.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey fellas I just wanted to throw my porverbial 2 cents in on this topic. I went with the round setup with a 3 or 4 inch K&N filter and I love it especialy since it's going to get cooler down here in south Texas. I have a 3 in body life so I didn't have the problems alot have with clearance. The bolt wasn't bad to do however I suggest measuring it out then screwing it in then marking the "bend" sides with a black majic marker. This way if you bend it first and then crew it in you have to loosen it to get the correct angles. Also PLEASE use heat to bend with a bench vise man I broke so much of that stuff. Well take care and thanks for the idea. PS I've been running my setup since April.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 19Ram99

Will this one work?

Its from Summit ~ DCC-4529881.

Thanks!
Ya that would probably work, but I just buy one from Mr Gasket at the local parts store. It costs a lot less, and I can go get it whenever I want (not wait on shipping).

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK No More