2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead console upgrade

Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Mojo1967
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead console upgrade

my 99 did not come equipt with the temp/travel computer in the console. I saw on ebay that they are selling consoles with and without this display. I am wondering if anything else is needed besides the console alone. does it come with the nessessary sensors in the console or are they located elsewhere on the truck

Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Belive me, I've tried this.

In order to get the overhead console, you need to add the Travel Convenience Group. This will give you the overhead console display, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, and dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors (Straight from the sales brochure!). You'll need the overhead console, visors, rear-view mirror, wiring from the cab, and the wiring for the temperature sensor that goes under the hood. You'll need to get the wiring from a junkyard. The rest you can find at the junkyard or on eBay. Finding the stuff is easy, putting it in is a PITA.

Lets start with the wiring under the hood. The connector is already there, it is right next to the under-hood lamp. Then all you need is the sensor and the wiring from that connector to the sensor. The sensor would be located right behind the upper left grille insert and attatched to a metal bracket. Easy as 1-2-3. Plug and Play.

Next is the wiring in the cab. The wire bundle follows across the windsheild, goes down next to the windsheild, and disappers into the dash. With your dash in, you cannot see where the wiring goes, but that bundle goes to the back of your fuseblock. It is a brown connector. Now, the TCG wiring follows the same route, but at the brown connector on the back of the fuseblock, there are 2 wires that come out and go to a white connector that gives the console computer the data for calculating the MPG. You cannot remove this harnees without removing the dash. It was how it was installed at the factory. So, to get it out at the junkyard it is best to find a truck that has the TCG at the junkyard and the dash is already pulled forward or removed. If you cant find this combo, plan on spending a few days at the junkyard, and getting yourself fimiliar with removing the dash because you will have to do this to your own truck. If that truck has a good dash top, get it.

Putting it in is self explanitory, reverse of removal. I will be doing the conversion this winter when I put in new A/C evaporator and Heater Core.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 PM
working4ev
Professional
Default upgrading my overhead console

I'm planning on upgrading my overhead console (I just have the basic one at this point) to the one that has the compass, temperature, and miles/gallon stuff. I have searched and read a lot, so I know it is possible. I have the dodge repair manual (from the merry Christmas thread), but I still have two wires that I don't know where they go (pg. 8W-49-4 in the manual is what I am trying to figure out). Where do the white/black wire and violet/brown wire go to on the stock plug?

It says that both go to the power trans control module CCD BUS (+ & -). What I am trying to find out is whether they are wired into the stock plug or if there is a whole other plug that I need to wire them into.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 AM
working4ev
Professional

OK thank you PurplDodge i have been looking for info for some time now the how and what you need. i have the overhead console, all needed wiring, auto-dimming rear-view mirror and the temp sensor. i have got every thing wired up to the stock plug using new KK crimp terminals. but i have two wires left, from what you say these must be the wires that go to the console computer?

my question is are they plumed into the brown connector then to the console computer or straight to the console computer?

As for what you say about not being able to see where the wiring goes you just need to remove the under steering wheel panel and lay on your back and look through the holes in the steel.

This is how i have the plug wired

here is the back of the junction box C3 is where this brown plug for the overhead console

Here is how i have it figured out using the wiring diagram from the manual
#1 Black / Light Blue
#2 Black / Light Green
#3 Yellow
#4 Nothing
#5 Violet / Light Green
#6 Pink
#7 Nothing
#8 Nothing
#9 Nothing
#10 Nothing
#11 Violet / Black
#12 Nothing
#13 Black
#14 Dark Blue / Wight

I have all the terminals crimped on to the wires waiting till i have it plumed in the truck till i put the wires into the plug.

The two without tags are the two i can not find where they go on the plug. But looking at the wiring diagram it says they go to the CCD BUS Violet / Brown go to CCD BUS (+) and the Wight / Black go's to the CCD BUS (-) so is the CCD BUS under the dash??

Last edited by working4ev; 10-11-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Those two wires go to a plug next to that big white connector thing under your dash. I have to ask, why'd you take the connector off like that?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 AM
working4ev
Professional
Default DIY converting to digital overhead console

After looking and asking if this could be done i finally bit the bullet and bought the digital overhead console from ebay.

This is how i converted my 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 non-digital to fully digital overhead console hope this helps someone.

Common misconceptions: you need to remove the dash to do this (NO). You need a trip computer (NO) It is not possible (NO NO)

what you will need
the overhead console for your year 97 or later use a different wiring harness and the plugs are in a different place.
If you get a console with all the plugs, installation is simply plug and play. There should be 4 plugs -- 1 For the console, 1 For the rear view mirror, and 2 That plug into the truck.

If your console comes without the plug that plugs into the truck you will need KK Standard Crimp Terminals (See picture), also Electric butt connectors.

Now to the removal and install

Remove the old console from your truck

To do this open the garage door opener compartment you will see two tabs. Push both of them and pull down a little, now push the whole console back (towards the rear of the truck). This will release the console from the truck. Remove the power plug from the console.

Remove the 4 screws holding the sun-visor and that little clip the visor clips to.

Remove the drivers side pillar cover just pull it off (it has clips on the underside).

Pic was taken after I removed the wire but you get it.

Now you can pull the headliner down, here you will see the wires for the console

Again took the pic after i removed the wires.

Now the fun part: the wire for the overhead console runs down the side of the dash on the side pillar down to the back of the fuse panel. It is the only brown plug on the back of the box. Tip: remove the panel under the steering wheel and lay on your back with your head resting on the E-brake and look up through the wires with a light.

To plum the wires for the new console, take the old one and tape one end to the end of the new one making both harnesses one. Now pull the old one out with them taped together this will pull the new one through the same route the old one was. Trust me this is the easiest way. Now just plug it into the fuse box as the old one was.

This will give you power to the lights, and the digital read out but the Trip, compass, and temp sensor will not work (yet) -- It will say CCd on the readout.

The temp sensor wiring is under the hood right next to the wiring for the under hood light
If you have the plug for the sensor, plug it in and run the wires up the drivers side around to the front of the grill and bolt down.

Hooking up the temp, compass, and trip:

Look under the dash you will see a white plug

This plug feeds the info needed to run the temp, compass, and trip.
I just cut the wires and used 2 butt connectors, just match up the colors to each other

Now turn on the ignition and see how good it works

If your temp is like mine in Celsius & kilometers you can change that
Temp first with the read out on the temp and direction push both buttons it will switch.
It is the same for the KL to Miles.

FYI If you need to wire the plug that plugs into the fuse panel hear is how.

here is the back of the junction box C3 is the brown plug for the overhead console

#1 Black / Light Blue
#2 Black / Light Green
#3 Yellow
#4 Nothing
#5 Violet / Light Green
#6 Pink
#7 Nothing
#8 Nothing
#9 Nothing
#10 Nothing
#11 Violet / Black
#12 Nothing
#13 Black
#14 Dark Blue / Wight

You will need KK Standard Crimp Terminals

Thank you to
PurplDodge for the help
steve05ram360 for the 2nd Gen Service Manual Download - AKA merry Christmas thread this manual was a big help

Hope this helps

Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't need to start a new thread for this. Threads merged. And the word is plumb.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 AM
working4ev
Professional

So next time i want to start a DIY i should look for a thread that looks good and post away ok got it.

I like how a post i started https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-upgrade.html gets Threads merged with this one https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-upgrade.html or vice versa.

Now there are three posts that lead to the same thing funny

PurplDodge The overhead console i got did not have a plug to plug it into the truck. So i had to rewire the plug that was in the truck. that is why there is a pic of the wires.

Just took the truck for a drive everything works nice, The console even dins with the light **** vary sweet. i like how dodge made it so all you need is the wiring harness and console. vary user friendly. hope others try it.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

So next time i want to start a DIY i should look for a thread that looks good and post away ok got it
Yeah Rick, change it back! Makes no sense!!!

Anyway, Nice DIY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When someone searches for 'overhead console' they will get this one thread with all the info instead of 3 different threads with varying info. Readers of this thread can see how you originally started this project with questions and proceeded to actually doing this mod and having it turn out so well. That can give them the confidence to do it themselves, and isn't that the point of a DIY?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhead console upgrade