3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Doggy Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
rdyer67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doggy Dakota

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie (Quad) with the 5 speed 4.7 (545RFE transmission) with about 800 miles on it. I have to admit that I am really disappointed in the way this thing shifts and accelerates It is so doggy. I have a Durango with the Hemi, so maybe comparing the two is making me disappointed? Does this have the CVT Transmission? That's what it reminds me of.

It shifts into overdrive and the RPM's drop to about 1500 rpms at about 45 mph and just seems bogged down. Then when I get on it and it downshifts, it justdoesn't seem tohave the acceleration that everyone else raves about. The truck I bought was on the show-room floor and I drove a different truck that was on the lot. That truck I drove seemed to have more snap.

What gives?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
king beer
Default RE: Doggy Dakota

ORIGINAL: rdyer67

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie (Quad) with the 5 speed 4.7 (545RFE transmission) with about 800 miles on it. I have to admit that I am really disappointed in the way this thing shifts and accelerates It is so doggy. I have a Durango with the Hemi, so maybe comparing the two is making me disappointed? Does this have the CVT Transmission? That's what it reminds me of.

It shifts into overdrive and the RPM's drop to about 1500 rpms at about 45 mph and just seems bogged down. Then when I get on it and it downshifts, it justdoesn't seem tohave the acceleration that everyone else raves about. The truck I bought was on the show-room floor and I drove a different truck that was on the lot. That truck I drove seemed to have more snap.

What gives?

Yeah, i bought a brand new 2005 leftover with the V-8 5 speed automatic.. it seems the gears are waaaay to high for that motor... start modding, that's all i got to say...

Old 04-05-2007, 01:27 PM
rdyer67

Like I mentioned, getting out of my Durango and then into the Dakota is probably not a fair comparison either. I'll see how it goes after the break-in period and let it "learn" my driving style.

The Sport model only has trim enhancements right? Maybe the one they had me drive wasn't similar? I told them that I wanted to drive the same model....obviously. My fault, though, for not making them pull it off the floor. Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:47 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Yeah, the Sport model is purely trim.

Is your's the regular 4.7 or the HO? That would make a huge difference if you test drove the HO and have the regular. Plus, if you have the regular, it's a pretty dramatic difference between that and the Hemi in terms of power, so I could see how you'd feel the truck is underpowered.

Eric's right though...it'll get better as you break it in and change the oil. If, after another 3000 miles or so, it's still acting funky, you might consider getting it checked out.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:42 PM
STOCK!SC

No you're right the power isn't for crap. I think the main culprit is th tranny which as someone said earlier is geared way to high for this engine and some have the 3.55 gears( I am one of theose unfortunately). I have found that it likes to stay in OD and when you're in OD the truck is a turd, you have to give it a lot of throttle to downshift and then it goes but again just not very quickly. I bought the truck because it had plenty of room for me and the wife and I remember the power that the older 4.7 dakotas had. I made the mistake of thinking this one would as well until I stepped on it hard for the first time going up I-26 because I had lost 15 mph in OD, these weren't steep inclines either. Hopefully the new 290hp 4.7 will solve this problem. It's embarrasing seeing the Japanese manufacturers selling V6 engines that out perform a V8 even when towing.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Casper50
Veteran

Mine has plenty of passing speed on the highway and doesn't need to downshift out of O/D on the highway to gain speed, and I'm a mile above sea level where the air is a lot thinner. I have the 4.7, 5 speed auto, 4x4, and 3.92 gears. Maybe it's because it has atri-diamond emblem on it instead of the ram head emblem.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

compaired to my last and first truck, which was a v6 01 ram, this is a lot faster, has much more pulling power and passing power. gets up and goes compaired to that. but your right, going from your hemi to this isnt fair. this weekend im takin the hawk out, it needs to be driven a little, but after that when i get in my dakota, thats not gunna be fiar either....

Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

Yeah I'd say give it quite a few miles on it to get her workin for ya. On the streets mine gets up and goes when i hit it, it will downshift, but so fast that I don't even realize it unless i'm listening. On the freeway it goes too, only time I have to throw it in OD is when I'm climbing this grade on a freeway I travel a lot on, and the grade is so steep that my truck will have to go into 3rd to get up it. A tranny upgrade would be nice, and also adding the engine mods, exhaust, and a chip might help ya there.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Casper50
Veteran

ORIGINAL: jimboscomp

Yeah I'd say give it quite a few miles on it to get her workin for ya. On the streets mine gets up and goes when i hit it, it will downshift, but so fast that I don't even realize it unless i'm listening. On the freeway it goes too, only time I have to throw it in OD is when I'm climbing this grade on a freeway I travel a lot on, and the grade is so steep that my truck will have to go into 3rd to get up it. A tranny upgrade would be nice, and also adding the engine mods, exhaust, and a chip might help ya there.
2wd also helps your causebecause it means less weight and less hp loss in the powertrain. 2ws pick-ups are always more fun to drive when you want to zoom around a little!

Quick Reply: Doggy Dakota