3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

replacing sway bar end links and bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
pro4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing sway bar end links and bushings

I am planning to replace my front swaybar endlinks and bushings to energy suspension parts. I was just curious to know if anyone has done this. I think I need the 4-1/4 inch size end links and 1-5/16 inch bushings. Does this sound correct to anyone?

Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Default RE: replacing sway bar end links and bushings

I have no clue...but what does that do anyway?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: curtiplas

I have no clue...but what does that do anyway?
Well I'm not 100% as to the effect it would have on the swaybar, but energy suspension specializes in polyurethane bushings which are stiffer and have less give than factory rubber ones. I know their shifter bushings for manual transmissions are great, put some on my last car and I really liked the effect they had.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

The Energy suspension bushings are better than the factory rubber bushings. The bushings on my swaybar and endlinks look like crap. I only have 20,000 miles on the truck and the bushings look worn out and starting to crack. I have used the energy suspension end links on a 94 chevy truck I had and they were much better than the stock ones and lasted a lot longer.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
atlanticblue05

Does anyone make aftermarket sway bar links?...I am on my second set of factory linksand as far as I know they are not available from moog or any other manufacturer.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Chad05
Professional

Have you had both side's replaced and if so when they are going bad can you here a rattle and you think it is in the rear but it's actually in the front, i am getting a noise rattling sound can't tell where it's coming from and it drive's me crazy at times, what is the deal with our dakota's and all the front end part's being replaced i have had 2 tie rod's, aright side sway bar link and right side wheel bearing, i think enough is a enough you know, i am really thinking i won't be owning another dakota, love the truck but all the problem's i have been having, it makes you feel like your getting ripped ya know.
P.S. I have been looking around the website and must say i am impressed with what some of you guy's have done with your truck's, they are just awsome!!! lol

Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
atlanticblue05

I had both sides replaced at 35K under warranty and they're gone again at 45k. Sounds like the front end is falling apart...rattles and clunks.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I really hope this isn't a design flaw in our trucks. I've only got 10k on mine, nothing gone yet but you guys are getting me a little worried.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

I don't know if anyone specifically makes them for our trucks. I went to Energy suspensions web site and they tell you how to measure for the proper length for the endlinks and the 2 bushings that mount to the frame. I measured 4-1/4 inches long for the end links and 1-5/16 inches for the swaybar bushings. If you go to pep boys they should have them. Just look for the package that matches the measurements.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

I'm still confused as to the benefit of replacing anything you guys have talked about, unless its going bad.

Quick Reply: replacing sway bar end links and bushings