3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

STS Universal Turbo Kits -- READ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STS Universal Turbo Kits -- READ!

Just spoke with a representative from Squires Turbo Systems (STS) and had a lengthy conversation with him on the phone. They don't make a kit specific for our pickups but they do make a Universal Turbo Kit in stages I, II, and III that is compatible with our trucks whether you have the 3.7L or the 4.7L He told me that we can run 5-8lbs of boost on our stock motor setups without having any problems and get anywhere from 80-120 hp. Heres the info he emailed me:

Thank you for your interest in Squires Turbo Systems. Even though we do not offer atrue "bolt-on" system for your specific application, we do offeran easilycustomizableUniversal Kit. Our Universal Kit applications experience the same amazing benefits and horsepower improvement results as our bolt-onsystems. The installation of our turbo systems is similar to the installation of a cat-back exhaust system. The turbo system components hang where the factory exhaust system normally hangs, and even utilizes the same factory mounting points. The Universal Kit supplies you with all needed turbo components, and then you simply fabricate the tubing that runs to and from the turbo components.
I feel strongly that one of ourUniversal Kit options will work well for your specific application. Please allow me to explain a few of the details regarding our three Universal Kit options - Stage I, Stage II, and Stage III.

First, please keep in mind that the difference between the three Stage options is the "completeness" of the kit. Itdoes notrefer in any way to the amount ofhorsepower that the kitcan create.For example, if youprefertouse your own clamps, hoses, and other basic install parts, you would probablyjust purchase a Stage I kit. If you would like to purchase everything needed for the system install(except theintake and exhaust tubing that must be customized to your application), then you would purchase a Stage III kit. The details of what is included in each Stageare shown below:

Universal Stage I -$1995 MSRP Turbo (application specific) Wastegate,38mm Turbo Flange Kit Bolt Kit Brass Kit OilPump Oil Check Valve Instruction Manual

Universal Stage II - $2495 MSRP Turbo (application specific) Wastegate,38mm Wastegate Pipe Wiring Harness Air Filter Dry-charger Hose Kit Silicone Kit Clamp Kit Turbo Flange Kit Bolt Kit Brass Kit OilPump Oil Check Valve Instruction Manual
Universal Stage III - $2995 MSRP Turbo (application specific) Wastegate,38mm Wastegate Pipe Wiring Harness Silicone Kit Air Filter Dry-charger Hose Kit Clamp Kit Turbo Flange Kit Bolt Kit Brass Kit OilPump Oil Check Valve Pipe Kit PCV System Pressure Switch Instruction Manual Please note that the turbo which is included with your Universal Kit will be sized specifically for your application and horsepower goals.

STS has done a lot of testing with aftermarket parts like headers, cat back systems and other exhaustcomponents . Testing has shown clearly on allapplications that the factory exhaust manifolds are more than adequate for the systems we sell. The stock manifold's most important featureis that we donot want spent gasses “sneaking” back into the motor. Stock manifolds are great for preventing reversion . STS systems will still work with cat back systems and headers but it is very important that there are no leaks, this will slow the turbo’s spooling and hurt performance . Wealso suggest thatonspecific applications to wrap the headers to keep heat away from the charge pipes and to keep the heat in the system. Headers dissipate heata lot more than OEM manifolds.We wantto make sure youkeep the heat in the system where it belongs and not transfer into other components.
We have tested stock LT1 cars to over 500rwhp, Corvette's to over 1000hp and Mustangs over 650hp all with stock manifolds.

Joe Loftus represents STS and seemed to have some interest in being a sponsor on the forum, moderators can contact him at his email
joe@ststurbo.com to talk to him about it. I was informed that I would probably have to do some reprogamming of the PCM, I take it we need a controller to do that? We need to keep pushing for aftermarket support guys! This is step in the right direction I think.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: STS Universal Turbo Kits -- READ!

Haha. I got that same email too lol. But its good to know you talked to them. I've talked to Joe already as well and we were discussing about the universalkit over a supercharger. He seems like a really nice guy and was helpful when I spoke with him. The full package is 2995 so its cheaperthan the Paxton and theres no belts or power lossto worry about even thoguh the Paxton is a bolt-on.

But Shibby Im deff with you on aftermarket support. Just imagine if we got everyone on our Forum to give him a call and email STSand tell him about the people desperately wanting bolt-ons, like us!!

It would be such a feat if we got them to get us a bolt-onkit. Wow

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a bolt on would be great, a whole lot easier to install than having to fabricate parts for the universal kit. He did tell me that if I got a universal kit that I could probably go to a muffler shop and have them bend pipe to fit the turbo. Thing is if there was a bolt-on I could probably try to do it myself whereas with the universal I have to go and get parts fabricated and everything. How hard is it to bolt a turbo on and get everything hooked up and running? What kind of time investment is it?

I have given some thought to emailing this guy and asking him to send me a pdf of the instruction manual just so we can get a better idea of how one is installed.

Moderators really should talk to the guy, he sounds like he really wants to get their product more recogntion, what better way that advertising on this site? Snipingdude, I totally agree with you we should all be emailing him and ask for a bolt-on kit.

Btw... does anyone know how to re-program the PCM? Do we need these controllers I keep hearing about?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where the hell is this guy i want one NOW!!!! get on top of this, see if u can get the manual- oh by the way u should see where STS is so maybe someone can get one test fitted or even get a half off for being the runt!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
snipingdude
All Star

Hmm yeah thats a pretty good idea. Getting the manual in .pdf form would be awesome and sure help us better understand it.

My guess time wise would be 4-8 hours, but thats just a guess. I mean like when I saw the picture of the Universal kit Stage 3, I wasnt sure if there was enough piping. Like I think theres 6 pipes. Now im guessing they all go together but have to be bent for our truck, then are they hooked up to the exhaust system? And then I know you need the intake and exhaust tubing.

But he did refer me to a place here in NJ where I could get it done. Of course that'll cost a lil bundle. Man we sgould just get everyone to call him and make him make us a bolt-on lol!!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM
snipingdude
All Star

ORIGINAL: BAdassR/T

where the hell is this guy i want one NOW!!!! get on top of this, see if u can get the manual- oh by the way u should see where STS is so maybe someone can get one test fitted or even get a half off for being the runt!
Its in Utah my Dakota buddy, far away from our Great Adventure Theme Park [:-]

Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM
snipingdude
All Star

I'll give him a call, leave a voicemail and send an email.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah yes, dam i wish it was close, i do alot of mechanical crap so im a bit handy i think i could pull this off if it was bolt on-

Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is why they call it a universal kit. it will fit many application. now when you get the kit, you will need to purchase injectors, fuel pump, intercooler and what ever else you need to get the system up and running. so the kit is 2995.00 then the rest is gonna cost another 2000 or more. so where is the savings between paxton or sts. paxton is the complete package for 5000 and sts with all the other stuff you need to research and get will still run 5000.

Quick Reply: STS Universal Turbo Kits -- READ!