3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 08:08 PM
2006DAKOTAV8
Default Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help

hey question does anyone know the size of our factory y-pipes? my buddy is telling me that I won't see any gain and itsa waste of money....Superdak can you answer what size the y-pipes are and would it help the flow better once i had Headers put on the Truck? cause i'm getting the headers soon and you said that i should make the y-pipes bigger and it would be more noticeable...why is that? i mean i know easier flow but is it noticeable and is it worth it to do it?

Old 07-08-2008 | 08:36 PM
importkiller76
Veteran
Default RE: Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help

Opening up your exhaust is never a bad thing....especially for the $75 dollar y pipe job that superdak mentioned in the other post.

Old 07-08-2008 | 08:37 PM
2006DAKOTAV8

but how big should i make each of the y pipes? is making each y-pipe 2 inches from the cat back to the exhuast pipe be to much?

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:02 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Not SuperDak, but here is my reply.

The "Y" itself is not any problem or restriction. I have it sitting here next to me, and when my camera gets back to me I will take pics to show this.

I also have conducted tests to prove such. I have done so damn much research with our (V8) exhaust systems I am in talks with my system builder about doing a bolt-on. Enough of this...

The "Y" is ok, but if you want better flow, cut off the pipes just as they exit the cats, and go 2 1/2"

Measure how far back the O2 bungs are from the cats, and it what position, and weld in new bungs in same location.

FYI, The "Y" is made up if both pipes, formed into a "D" shape. The flat part of both "D"s mate up with each other. A look from the single side (outlet) shows this very clear.

Nothing is "smashed"
Nothing is "crimped"
The "Y" is actually one of the best factory "Y"s I have ever seen.

Give me a few days, and I will post pics and take questions to help anyone who wants to listen to me.

I would have done this sooner, but (no Lie) I am getting over a poisonous spider bite.

Anyone in central NJ care to meet up, I will show you my findings and my custom system. I would let you hear it too, but just don't try and blame me if you go deaf..........or want the same system.

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:15 PM
NJJer
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ericemery

well, the camera dies, so it will take a second or 2 to charge enough to post up the pics I took blindly.

I am trying to show the D thing...
If you don't get a good shot, I will try to borrow a camera tonight.

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:34 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

where in central NJ you at?

Quick Reply: Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help