3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:01 AM
DodgesForLife24
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Right now I have 18" rims on my truck and I'm getting new tires soon so I'm thinking of upgrading to 20" but I need to know what some really good companies are for tires for my truck like the longest lasting ones?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgesForLife24
Right now I have 18" rims on my truck and I'm getting new tires soon so I'm thinking of upgrading to 20" but I need to know what some really good companies are for tires for my truck like the longest lasting ones?
Well typically the best gripping tires are not the longest lasting, it's a trade-off. A softer rubber compound can grip better but will also wear faster, a harder compound stands up better to wear but won't offer as much grip. I wouldn't go for just the longest lasting tire, ideally you want a well balanced one with decent tread life and good grip. Do you have to deal with snow where you live or can you get away with summer tires year round?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

Originally Posted by Altair
Well typically the best gripping tires are not the longest lasting, it's a trade-off. A softer rubber compound can grip better but will also wear faster, a harder compound stands up better to wear but won't offer as much grip. I wouldn't go for just the longest lasting tire, ideally you want a well balanced one with decent tread life and good grip. Do you have to deal with snow where you live or can you get away with summer tires year round?

I'm just looking for bigger wheels like I have 18" right now and want to go up to 20" to get bigger meatier tires. Great gripping would be a plus, but I'm not picky, haha. Yea I would definitely wanna go for something that is gonna grip good! I'm not worried about replacing them I just don't know what to get or if 20" will look good on my truck. I thought I'd need a lift for 20's lol. But apparently not... And yea, definitely deal with snow a lottt; I live in MI so I deal with snow like Dec-May lol. We've had A LOT of snow this winter, just got snow last night! That's one of the main reasons I wanted the 4WD cuz it definitely comes in handy a lot around here during the winter. Right now I have on/off road tires lol. Thats what my truck came with. I would definitely wanna all winter tire if anything lol.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

Originally Posted by ericemery
going with a bigger wheel, means you will have a smaller tire sidewall, unless you lift.

Thx.
Would I need a lift? Or would everything just work out? Hmm how much of a lift?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

well heres the thing.. you go 20s you can only go like a side wall of 45-55, possibly a 60 but i dout it... you can put 20s on your truck without a lift if u put the right size tires on your truck.. depending on the look you want.... these are all key things u need to answer before we can comment..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Frenchy's running 20's on his, you might be able to get a bit more sidewall than he has but I doubt it without rubbing.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

yeah ive got 20s and i run 275 45's

Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Frenchy
Banned

...turbot_bird has 275/55/20

Quick Reply: Tires