3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Where are all the 08-09 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
dakolorado
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimboscomp
now everyone except those who actually work towards it can afford a dakota laramie....GREEEAAAAAT
LOL, I was kidding but yeah that is what I was thinking too. I have heard if you let your house payment go you can actually have the taxpayer pay your mortgage.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:37 AM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought our Black Pearl '08 4.7L 4x4 QC SLT back in January. It had 14 miles on it. We got about $7000 off sticker. I think the price we paid was good.

For a truck that has 302 HP it sure doesn't feel like it. I'm really hoping that once the engine wears in, it will open up a bit more. It only has 2000 miles on it now, but maybe once we pass 5000 it will feel better? It has the 3.55 gears but I had assumed it had the 3.92's because it showed "Tow Package". Apparently the 3.92's are a separate option.

I've been watching all of the Dodge Boards waiting for performance mods to be offered. The best bet so far is a Superchips Programmer that may be due out in May but I'm not going to hold my breath. And then there is the BFI cold air intake being offered on the ********* site. All though spendy I think it will possibly be the better aftermarket intake for our trucks. Just gotta wait until they offer it. And I have a Spintech SportTruck/SUV muffler at home waiting for it (I'm away on business now). Oh, and I really need to put a tonneau cover on it. I want to go with a soft, rollable one.

Just rambling here, but we towed a Uhaul 6'x12' trailer last weekend. I figure it probably weighted about 2800lbs. The truck really struggled to get up the hills and they weren't large hills. The engine just feels like it has a cork stuck in it. I'm hoping an intake and exhaust, coupled with a SCT or SC will wake it up.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the family man! Yeah dont feel so bad I have the 3.55s too. I goofed up thinking the same thing. Definitely get an intake and exhaust... it does make the engine breathe a bit better.

If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask either

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 03-06-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Welcome!

Originally Posted by spshultz
Just rambling here, but we towed a Uhaul 6'x12' trailer last weekend. I figure it probably weighted about 2800lbs. The truck really struggled to get up the hills and they weren't large hills. The engine just feels like it has a cork stuck in it. I'm hoping an intake and exhaust, coupled with a SCT or SC will wake it up.
This doesn't sound right at all to me, I have 3.55's and the Tow package on my '05 4.7 making considerably less power than the 08+ 4.7 does. I've hauled just about 3 tons of mulch in a utility trailer up and down hills no problem, didn't really notice it was there half the time. Have you had the check engine light come on at all or any problems that you've noticed? There's no way that engine should be ******* on 1.5 tons.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
mtlandy
Cool

The lackluster towing performance of our V8 Dakotas is not the engine's fault (doesn't matter what year V8), its our good old 545RFE tranny thats to blame. Dodge's legacy is crappy gearing. The 545 is really a 4 speed auto with an extra overdrive. Tacoma and Frontiers have real 5 speeds with 1 overdrive allowing lower 1st gears and better ratio spacing. Dodge took the 45RFE (4 speed) from around 1999-2002 and added an extra overdrive and calls it a 5 speed (technically true, probably saved a bunch of money), but check out the ratios. First gear is pedestrian 3.0:1 with a large dropoff to second gear, 1.67:1 (optional 1.5:1 'prime' which is kinda pointless IMO). Third gear at 1.00:1, 4th .75:1 and 5th .67:1 (Tacomas 5 speed: 3.5:1, 2.04:1, 1.4:1, 1.0:1, .71:1, lower 1st gear gets things started easier). The 545's 3rd gear is the Tacoma's 4th gear. If it was 1999 again, our Dakotas would be right there at the top of the list on acceleration and performance. Same reason the new 2009 Ram with 390 hp Hemi still can't outrun a Tundra and is even with 317 hp Titan...they have better gearing. The 545 is a fine transmission from reliability standpoint, but it is what it is.....a 4 speed. Dodge oftentimes takes the cheaper way out in drivetrain engineering by trying to use brute force (e.g. larger, cheaper engines than competition) rather than spending the money to address the drivetrain as a whole. Dodge has a 68RFE 6 speed that matches up much better to the Tundra's 6 speed that would put the Hemi on even footing with the iForce, but its not offered in 1500s. Why? Compatibility? Maybe, it (68rfe) is offered with the Cummins in Heavy Duty, so maybe it won't match up the Hemi...but I would bet that cost has more to do with it though, because the 68 is architecturally very similar to the 545. See what I mean?

Last edited by mtlandy; 03-07-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
spshultz
Professional

I did not know that about the trans. Wow. So 4th gear is effectively and over drive gear? When I accelerate up a hill and the converter unlocks I don't really feel any difference in acceleration. And when it kicks down into 4th, again I don't really feel any difference. But when it kicks down again, that's when we have a definite difference.

I've decided to start saving for a front/rear gear swap. We do a lot of highway driving and will be taking it off road (light off road) occasionally for camping so I'm not sure if I'd go with 3.92's or 4.10's.

It really is a nice truck, it's just needs a lot more get up and go.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
dakolorado
Professional

Just posted this in another thread but go with the 4.10's or 4.56 and 4.88 if you are 2wd due to the front axle being limited to 4.56. Your mileage may suffer a bit but the power will be tire smoking torque! Total for a good shop to install gears is 1200 including parts and labor.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
jettcity1

When I was looking for an '08 laramie, I had to special order it from Vegas. 6 months ago all i saw out in the pacific northwest was SLT and such. I love My V-8 and am wondering why i see so few new ones out there. I have the 4 door 4X4 and its getting a century tonneau cover installed soon. I see alot of '05 -07's but thats where it just stops. Noone seems to be buying the new ones. I drove Nissan frontiers for years and the Dodge eats them up for lunch.Lets hear from other new truck buyers.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

You are probably not seeing many newer daks is becase the way the dealers are you can practically buy a new full-size for the price of dak. I dunno about you but Ilove my dakota still and doubt Ill bump up to a ram.

Quick Reply: Where are all the 08-09 owners?