3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Walmart ATF+4

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 AM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart ATF+4

Went to get 8 qts of Mopar ATF +4 at Walmart for a full fluid flush and they stopped carrying it. They had there own brand (Supertech I think) and Valvoline Full Syn +4 both licensed by Dodge.

Kinda sucks because I already have 8 qts of Mopar ATF+4, don't want to pay dealer price for 8 more (although I don't know what there price is) and don't want to mix (even though they are suppose to be fully compatible, my gut says don't do it).

They probably all come out of the same plant anyway.

Just an FYI

LB

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is good to know. Have you tried Pep Boys? They still carry ATF+4.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
LB
Veteran

No, don't useually think of them, but thanks,I will check.

LB

Old 07-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem man. They usually aren't as cheap as Wal-Mart but you can usually find what you need.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LB
Went to get 8 qts of Mopar ATF +4 at Walmart for a full fluid flush and they stopped carrying it. They had there own brand (Supertech I think) and Valvoline Full Syn +4 both licensed by Dodge.

Kinda sucks because I already have 8 qts of Mopar ATF+4, don't want to pay dealer price for 8 more (although I don't know what there price is) and don't want to mix (even though they are suppose to be fully compatible, my gut says don't do it).

They probably all come out of the same plant anyway.

Just an FYI

LB
I had a local shop do a "full flush" on the trans and they could barely get 6.5 quarts or so in... Supposed to be a good shop too, if you're able to do all 16 let us know, I'm not going to appreciate it if they jerked me around...

Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
LB
Veteran

full capacity is suppose to be 14 quarts, I think that does not include the cooler and lines. I know when I installed my shift kit tbetween the pan and valve body draining I used 7 quarts so maybe they just did the pan?

My plan is to drop the pan change both filters, fill then pull the output from the trans at the cooler and direct it to gallon jugs so I can calculate it.

LB

Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

They told me they had the pump setup necessary to flush the entire system... Ugh, I'll have to get it done again somewhere else next year.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, simply to use "ATF+4" (even those cheapie brands) need to get special licensing from Chrysler, and obey their quality standards.
Saying that, I only have used Mopar and Valvoline. I've traveled elsewhere when WalMart only had their SuperTech left.

And, when you do a real fluid change and flush, you will have the pan capacity, plus whatever is in the torque converter and lines.
The service manual says:
(service fill would be just dropping the pan and replacing the filters/overhaul fill would be equivalent to a flush)
42RLE- service 4 quarts/overhaul 8.8 quarts
545RFE- service 5.5 quarts on 2WD, 6.5 quarts on 4WD/14 quarts overhaul

Also, some trickery the stupid shops do: when you go in and tell them to "do a trans flush," most don't drop the pan and replace the filter. They unhook the line and hook up their flush machine, all for the low price of like, $150. You have to specify you "Want the filters changed." (And, I would also ask to see the filters after they are done. You'll be able to tell if they were the old ones)
*edit*
As you said above Altair, that's exactly what the shops do. They use their pumps only and they never drop the pan or change the filters. (When dropping the pan, there is a magnet there to collect metal debris you should clean and inspect, which is very important sign of the state of the transmission.) Think of it like strictly changing the oil. Not changing the oil filter.

Last edited by dodgerules86; 07-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

No they did drop the pan and change both filters, I just thought they had the setup to flush the other ~8 quarts too which they apparently didn't.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At least you got new filters and some new fluid. Better than those people that don't do crap to their transmissions until like 100,000 miles, and wonder why it's not acting right. (Also, those same people who don't give a crap about their cars and wonder why it's a POS)
Car care is more than just changing the oil.

Quick Reply: Walmart ATF+4