3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Locker

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 06:29 PM
jakerob
|
Default Rear Locker

Hey guys, I have been readin up on rear lockers and searchin around here on the forums and I was just wondering if I could get some more info.

I have a 2007 3.7 slt and I want to add a rear locker to it for better traction when I do ( which is rarely ) go offroad. what do you guys think? Is it worth the money and if it is, what am i lookin at gettin?

Thanks guy

jakerob

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:13 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

A locker is the single best thing you can do for off-road performance. Totally worth the money.

There's a few different kinda of lockers, "lunchbox lockers" and full carrier replacement. A lunchbox locker installs in place of the original spider gears meaning the ring and pinion aren't touched and they are cheaper and easier to install. A full carrier replacement replaces the original carrier requiring setting the backslash and carrier bearing preload. they are more expensive and harder to install but are stronger than lunchbox lockers because they do not rely on the stock carrier.

You also can choose between selectable and automatic, selectable lockers can be toggled bewtween open and locked via air, electricity or cable. Automatic lockers lock when sufficient torque (gas) is sent to the rear axle and have their quirks which are pretty easy to adapt to. Luncbox lockers only come in the automatic variety. I personally prefer automatic lockers for the simplicity and I hate open diffs on the street too.

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:32 AM
superdak05
Champion

i dont have that issue, i have the corporate rear, which is similar

Old 07-14-2009 | 12:29 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by superdak05
i dont have that issue, i have the corporate rear, which is similar
What issue?

Old 07-14-2009 | 12:29 PM
jakerob
|

Ok thanks for the help hahns. Any sites where I can buy a locker? I have been lookin around but you guys seem to have the best deals. I would kind of like one that I could switch on an off but from what i read that would be more expensive? A permanent one wouldn't eat up my tires would it?

Thanks again for the info.

Jake Rob

Old 07-14-2009 | 12:45 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Originally Posted by jakerob
A permanent one wouldn't eat up my tires would it?

Jake Rob
You are correct, plus turning would be a PITA

Old 07-14-2009 | 01:43 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Eaton makes a tru-trac and detroit locker for our trucks. Do you have the 8.25" rear end?
A factory LSD is stupid to buy from the dealer, $1,800.00. The last I checked, I can get the Eaton tru-trac for around $550.00.

A locker will eat up your tires and can get a little weird while driving on dry pavement. Honestly, for what you are looking to do, I would recommend the Eaton LSD. If a company made a selectable diff, that would ultimately be better. However, I can't seem to find an application for our trucks.

Old 07-14-2009 | 01:56 PM
jakerob
|

Ok thanks donkeypunch.

Could you explain what exactly the difference is between the two. My understandin is that:

- A locker will locker both rear wheels so they spin at the same speed right? Kind of like a tractor?

and

- A LSD makes the wheel with the most traction spin.

example:

If a truck is in sand, with one wheel buried and just spinning, the LSD will engage and put power to the other wheel that is not buried.

Am I right?

Is this what I'm lookin for?

http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/det...=en#googlebase

Thanks again for all the help fellas

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:11 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jakerob
Ok thanks donkeypunch.

Could you explain what exactly the difference is between the two. My understandin is that:

- A locker will locker both rear wheels so they spin at the same speed right? Kind of like a tractor?

and

- A LSD makes the wheel with the most traction spin.

example:

If a truck is in sand, with one wheel buried and just spinning, the LSD will engage and put power to the other wheel that is not buried.

Am I right?

Is this what I'm lookin for?

http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/det...=en#googlebase

Thanks again for all the help fellas
No, a LSD is garbage off-road, it will still transfer the most power to the wheel with the least traction, it doesn't take much off-road for an LSD to go into "one leg" mode and leave you stranded, this includes gear driven LSDs.

A locker will not eat your tires because it (automatic lockers) unlocks while cornering as long as you aren't standing on the gas. I've never noticed any extra tire wear in the rear as a result of running a locker. A welded or spooled rearend will eat tires because it never unlocks.

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:38 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
No, a LSD is garbage off-road, it will still transfer the most power to the wheel with the least traction, it doesn't take much off-road for an LSD to go into "one leg" mode and leave you stranded, this includes gear driven LSDs.

A locker will not eat your tires because it (automatic lockers) unlocks while cornering as long as you aren't standing on the gas. I've never noticed any extra tire wear in the rear as a result of running a locker. A welded or spooled rearend will eat tires because it never unlocks.
I beg to differ. I bought and installed a factory Trac-Lok LSD into my 9.25" rear end for half what the cheapest locker cost, and have never once had only one wheel spin on pavement, in the dirt, mud, gravel, snow, etc. Look at my signature picture... I've also flexxed out my truck where there was almost no weight (less than 50 lbs) over one of the two back wheels, and even then the LSD did not go into a "one leg" mode. You just need to know how a limited slip differential works to know how not to get stuck with one... the more torque you transfer through the differential, the harder the clutches engage, so if you think you are going to get stuck, don't try to baby the truck out, get on the gas hard. When there is no torque transfer through the differential, its very easy to break the clutches loose and differentiate the two rear wheels.

It's true though... lockers will not eat up your tires like a spool, but I have heard from a lot of people who run them that they cause an understeer sensation that a LSD won't.

Don't get me wrong though... I'm not praising limited slip diffs and beating down lockers, cause I would rather have a powertraxx locker, but they aren't crap like a lot of people seem to think, and for a daily driver, they are easier to cope with.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 07-14-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Locker