3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

To do a shift kit, or to not do a shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To do a shift kit, or to not do a shift kit

Well the other day, out of curiosity I turned my truck back to the stock tune from the SC 91 performance tune. Not to put superchips down or anything, but it feels like the only thing that programmer did was change shift points. I thought about it for a while, and finally decided to take it back before my 30 day return policy was up. It sure was an expensive toy to just play with shift points, IMO. Plus, I overpaid a bit because I got it at Autozone, and I could save $100+ by getting it online. So Im not completly set against superchips, but for $422, Ill keep my truck the way it is. But heres the decision now; Should I spend $300 and get another tuner, or stick the money in to getting a transgo shift kit professionally installed? I want some transmission performance, and superchips wasnt doing good there. It was better than stock, but I want to feel my shift (maybe get the tires to bark between 1-2 too), not just have it rev higher.
So heres what I was pondering. For about $600, I could get the second half my Airaid intake, a fastman throttle body, and a shift kit.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 PM
MrCrash
Veteran

Get a Sharadon valve body instead of a shift kit.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCrash
Get a Sharadon valve body instead of a shift kit.
X2 on that.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Dinger838
Veteran

what will that do?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
bain64
Veteran

Make your wife ask whats wrong with the truck =)

Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bain64
Make your wife ask whats wrong with the truck =)
That's a direct quote from the product's website. Not much help though..
1st- I recommend you look it up on airram's website or sharadon's.
2nd- I can't believe no one has deterred you from taking the tuner back. After all these discussions about which tuner to get and what they do, don't you realize it takes time for your truck to adapt and get the full performance from the tuner? I would say return it since you overpayed, but get it again online for the better price.
3rd- doing all those mods you mentioned would see greater value with a tuner.
4th (final)- If you DO plan on doing all those mods, and expect to do even more later one, skip superchips altogether and get a custom written tune that pinpoints each mod and gets the most out of it.

I need a break after all that knowledge I just dropped.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
rengnath
Champion

Thanks everyone! I would love to do a valve body, but I would have to wait till I had $435 extra dollars for the core. Maybe it would be worth it.
I drove with the tuner for about 1200 miles, and changed the program once in the beginning to increase the rev limiter. All I noticed was the program changing shift points (which I liked). Im thinking about waiting to see if SC comes out with a tune for the transmissions, but I doubt that will happen.
Is the valve body going to be consistant with the shifts? In an older post, LB said the shift kit had this problem; Sometimes it would shift firm, other times you wouldnt even notice it.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is still disputed, I don't know any 3rd gen dakotas with the stage 3, but some older dakotas do in other forums and this one probably, and some rams have it (same tranny as us). I just did a search for it and some people love it and some say the PCM decides it doesn't want it to take affect and it only shifts hard for a couple weeks. It is a tough decision. Do some research it helps!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, thats what I found about the Transgo reprogramming kit. It will shift beautiful for a couple weeks, and then the person said every shift after the 1-2 felt like stock. Im really interested to know if Superchips is actually going to develop the shift firmness for the programmers.
One question though, I know it is stated that the Flashpaq is the same as the Cortex except the Cortex comes with a warranty and supports diesel vehicals. Can you data log with the Flashpaq just like the Cortex?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
bain64
Veteran

Originally Posted by rengnath
One question though, I know it is stated that the Flashpaq is the same as the Cortex except the Cortex comes with a warranty and supports diesel vehicals. Can you data log with the Flashpaq just like the Cortex?
Yes sir.

Quick Reply: To do a shift kit, or to not do a shift kit