3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3.7L Performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
06dakv6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.7L Performance questions

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have spent a few hours looking for V6 performance suggestions but it seems that most of the threads are geared more toward v8s.

I own a 2006 3.7L Auto SLT

I'm a little disappointed with my trucks throttle response and was wondering what other V6 owners have tried to remedy this.

It would be great if I could get a few suggestions on whether I'm moving in the right direction or not, and some suggestions on manufacturers to fill some of the orders.

-Induction system
-Multi-spark Ignition
-Headers
-Autolight 3923s (if used with an MSD should i worry about burning them up too fast?)
-Throttle body / Spacer
-Any other inexpensive improvements that have worked for you.

Again I'm just looking for throttle response and meager HP/TQ gains in the low end

Thanks for your patience

Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the 3.7 there is not a lot of performance parts.
intakes you have k&n cai, ebay kits.

ignition wise the only thing you can do is plug because they have individual coils on each plug and the autolights seem to work well in my truck and from what i hear the majority of people that use the high end plugs don't like them.

throttle body the only choice i know of is thefastman.com

exhaust any exhaust you do will be a huge improvment over stock. it depends on how loud you want it remove both resonators for a louder or leave the first one on to have a quieter one.

last and from what i understand makes the best result is an e-fan

there is a company the supossedly offers a tune for the 3.7 when i emailed them they said gains of 20-40hp with premium fuel ( i think they would be able to have an exact number instead of a 20hp difference and when i emailed them about if you have to send in the pcm or if it was a hand held programmer they never replied)

there are also performance heads now but i don't know of any one that has tried them yet.
i hope this helps you out a little. those of use that went with the 3.7l kinda got screwed when it came to after market compared to the 4.7l

Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I'm not huge on the 3.7L throttle response either, and I think mine is a bit worse with drive-by-wire (2007+).

Also, it's a fairly small engine in a heavy truck.

JBA headers exist and have been installed on Rams. Performance heads are also available, and are quite expensive. There are after market fuel injectors. I think all this stuff can be seen at AirRam.com

Fastman oversized throttle bodies are popular. Electric fan as well, but it's quite a project. Decent plugs, clean filters and fluids, regular upkeep stuff.

With some cash and patience, and a competent ECM programmer, I think 210 HP is way below this engine's capability. It's just a lot of work, and Hemi's still make 390

Old 09-11-2010, 08:14 AM
atmrmclore
Default Same here...

I'm finding the same issues however, I am curious about the headers on the Ram's. I looked into performance upgrades for the Liberty, has the same 3.7L, and they offer an actual programmer from Jet. But, they don't mention it working with the Dak's. Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the only major mod that works on the 3.7 is a gear swap, you guys are probably running the 3.55 gears which suck, switch them out to the 4.10 gears and the smile will never leave your face, gonna be costly for a 4x4 i had my 05 done and it was 1600.00, back in 05, prices might be alittle cheaper now, since the trucks have been out for awhile, all the money you spend on upgrades wont compare to a gear swap

Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superdak05
the only major mod that works on the 3.7 is a gear swap, you guys are probably running the 3.55 gears which suck, switch them out to the 4.10 gears and the smile will never leave your face, gonna be costly for a 4x4 i had my 05 done and it was 1600.00, back in 05, prices might be alittle cheaper now, since the trucks have been out for awhile, all the money you spend on upgrades wont compare to a gear swap

Although I have never driven a Dakota with the 4.10....my father has the V6 ranger with the 4.10 tow package, and I have also driven the V6 ranger with there lesser 3.xx gears, and the difference is incredible.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
DodgeDakotaFan

I think you should get a bigger motor since the 3.7L doesn't seem modable? Go with a 6.1 Hemi or a new 4.7L.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing a motor swap isn't always the best option.

For the 3.7L I would look into efan, controller, gears, CAI or FIPK and an exhaust that makes it sound wicked. I think this Aero setup on a V6 performs and sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmSt...C4D5F9&index=2

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
atmrmclore
Default Same here... again

I'm with superdak05 on the gears, however, mine came from the factory stock with 3.92 gears. Is it really that much of a difference going up to 4.10 from there? I have driven 4.10's before (older suburban) and it was great when you absolutely needed it, however, the RPM range seemed higher than it should be at cruising speeds.
As for blown287's suggestion on a controller, any idea if my previous question about using one for the liberty will work with the Dak's? Otherwise, I can't seem to find one out there.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

The 3.7L JBA Ram Headers should fit the Dakota
If you want gears. I would this site that offers 3.90 4.10 4.56 http://www.superioraxlegear.com/c825...r-p-10602.html
Injen and KN make Intakes
You can buy or make yourself a cat back
You can contact B&G about tuning the 3.7L
Fastman Throttle Bodies
E-Fan

Quick Reply: 3.7L Performance questions