3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

wideband or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size Turbo are you planning on? Turbonetic 60-1 with a .81AR would be good for the 4.7 and good for up to about 500 hp. a .68 AR will give you hardlt any turbo lag.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotajerry
What size Turbo are you planning on? Turbonetic 60-1 with a .81AR would be good for the 4.7 and good for up to about 500 hp. a .68 AR will give you hardlt any turbo lag.
i'm not 100% sure which turbo it will be, as i custom build them if i have the parts, or have them built, from a couple sorces, i just need to see what parts i have around, it will be either a borg warner s300 base, or holset hx base, with a 58-62mm comp wheel, and 65-68mm turbine wheel with a .60 - .70 a/r trubine housing, along with internal & external waste gates and maby BOV if needed

Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
i'm not 100% sure which turbo it will be, as i custom build them if i have the parts, or have them built, from a couple sorces, i just need to see what parts i have around, it will be either a borg warner s300 base, or holset hx base, with a 58-62mm comp wheel, and 65-68mm turbine wheel with a .60 - .70 a/r trubine housing, along with internal & external waste gates and maby BOV if needed
A compressor bypass valve (BOV) will be absolutely crucial, if not, everytime you let off the throttle, you will get severe compressor surge and destroy the turbocharger, even if it is fitted with a port shrouded compressor housing. On the talon, I'm currently running a 57 trim with a .63 a/r exhaust housing. My 2.4L starts getting "choke" because the exhaust housing is too small for anything over 20psi. Depending on boost levels you plan on running, for the 4.7L, I would recommend at least a .82 a/r exhaust housing with a 3" 4-bolt or v-band housing. Yes, with a smaller a/r, you will reduce lag time. However, you will restrict flow. So, based on what you are trying to accomplish, take these into consideration. I'm not sure about running both internal and external wastegates. I have never heard of that before. For easability, run an internal gate. If you are looking for ultimate performance, run an external gate (44mm tial would be sufficient).

Other than that, I sure can't wait to see what you do. That thing is going to be pissed!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran

That should work if you're putting it on motor with stock internals. The stock motor should handle up to 12 lbs with no issues so that turbo combination would be perfect. If you plan on beefing up the engine and running high boost go with a .81 AR BTW If you have any extra parts put one together for me lol.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
A compressor bypass valve (BOV) will be absolutely crucial, if not, everytime you let off the throttle, you will get severe compressor surge and destroy the turbocharger, even if it is fitted with a port shrouded compressor housing. On the talon, I'm currently running a 57 trim with a .63 a/r exhaust housing. My 2.4L starts getting "choke" because the exhaust housing is too small for anything over 20psi. Depending on boost levels you plan on running, for the 4.7L, I would recommend at least a .82 a/r exhaust housing with a 3" 4-bolt or v-band housing. Yes, with a smaller a/r, you will reduce lag time. However, you will restrict flow. So, based on what you are trying to accomplish, take these into consideration. I'm not sure about running both internal and external wastegates. I have never heard of that before. For easability, run an internal gate. If you are looking for ultimate performance, run an external gate (44mm tial would be sufficient).

Other than that, I sure can't wait to see what you do. That thing is going to be pissed!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch

i like the small turbine housings, along with dual wastegates on my diesels, and hopeing i can make a similar setup work on the 4.7, having the dual gates is kind of a safty thing, being able to flow enough to to keep the correct pressures, and able to absorb spikes in stead of blowing the head off i get the smaller gate to open at a lower pressure to bleed off drive pressure, and the big gate to handel overall pressure, and for me, gives a wide range of tuning options, i now have my 98 at less than a 1 to 1 ratio, (dirve/intake pressure) @ 60psi, fast spool and no choking out, but just have to see if it will work at all with this setup, the bov i will probably install but these turbos are pretty tough, i put them through hell with up to 75psi and shifting, it barks them really hard but no failers (yet)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm going to attempt an in bay turbo with an intercooler
That would be sick! I'm looking forward to seeing this build.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i like the small turbine housings, along with dual wastegates on my diesels, and hopeing i can make a similar setup work on the 4.7, having the dual gates is kind of a safty thing, being able to flow enough to to keep the correct pressures, and able to absorb spikes in stead of blowing the head off i get the smaller gate to open at a lower pressure to bleed off drive pressure, and the big gate to handel overall pressure, and for me, gives a wide range of tuning options, i now have my 98 at less than a 1 to 1 ratio, (dirve/intake pressure) @ 60psi, fast spool and no choking out, but just have to see if it will work at all with this setup, the bov i will probably install but these turbos are pretty tough, i put them through hell with up to 75psi and shifting, it barks them really hard but no failers (yet)
I agree with you that the turbochargers (on a diesel) are tough. I'm just wondering where the intake charge goes when your throttle plate closes on the throttle body (for the Dak).

Quick Reply: wideband or not?