3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

wideband or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wideband or not?

is it really nesasary? and woth the extra $200 it will cost me?, in the near future the dak will have forced induction, so trying to gather everything, this will be my first boosted gasser, so a little bit of a noob for this part

Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

necessary? I would say yes, does make it a whole lot easer to tune with. I have tuned with narrow band when i first started tuning. It can be done. Narrow bands is slow and you really get a delayed reading. You just have to learn how to compensate for the delay readings. For FI get the wide band.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your planning boost, its a necessity.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

ok... wide band it is, $260 fir the gauge and kit, this is the also the first i have heard of a pyro on a gas engine, i like to know about it too, is it nessasary? what themps to look for how hot is to hot, i always thought thats what the a/f gauge was for, but like i said, im new to the gas side of this, i have a ton of gauges in my diesels, but i need all the right things for this

Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is just my professional opinion: Its actually nice to see both narrow and wideband values. Here's why:

Narrow band 02 sensors are typically part of the fuel and timing corrections that the ECU uses for calculation in closed loop operation. Therefore, when tuning, it is nice to be able to see how the O2 sensor is cycling.

Wideband O2 sensors are very necessary in open loop tuning (wide open throttle). Especially when dealing with forced induction, there are many factors that can change the operation of the ECU: air pressure, density, temperature, flow, etc. Therefore, one would want to be able to look at these values in real time, and log them (if possible).

On the race car, we use both wideband and narrow band O2 sensors. Honestly, I don't pay attention to EGTs at all. In fact, I don't even have a gauge. EGT values are based only on exhaust temperature...this in turn does not tell you very much. EGT values typically lead you to think in very basic terms: if it is hot, it = lean....if it is cold, it = rich. This is all and good, but you can't simply rely on that. If the EGTs are very cold under WOT, you could be running VERY lean, or rich. When running lean and getting cold EGTs, there may not even be enough fuel in the combustion chamber to generate much heat after spark. If the EGTs are very hot, you could be lean, or VERY rich. When running rich with hot EGTs, this is typically associated with unburned fuel igniting in the manifold and contacting the EGT probe.

So, tuning can be easy, if you have the right tools. Honestly, until you are boosted, don't bother with a wideband sensor kit. I don't know much about the tuning for our trucks, but try and locate a tuner that has a data logger (essential for tuning, if you want to do it the right way). This will make your street tuning and dyno session more effective.

I know this is a novel, but I figured I would go just a bit farther. Here are the values that I log when make passes at the track, passes on the dyno, or tuning closed loop operation on the street.

Boost/vacuum pressure
Narrowband O2 voltage
Wideband O2 voltage
STFT (short term fuel trim)
LTFT (long term fuel trim)
Coolant temperature
Engine RPM
Speed (MPH)
Timing
MAF RAW (raw value of mass air flow sensor)
Air temperature
Knock sensor count

Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My piggyback monitors my EGT to boost level to ensure I'm pushing enough alcohol. If you are going forward with the Cobra blower, good luck. I believe you will be the first of the G2 4.7Ls to do it.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
dakotajerry
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Narrow band 02 sensors are typically part of the fuel and timing corrections that the ECU uses for calculation in closed loop operation. Therefore, when tuning, it is nice to be able to see how the O2 sensor is cycling.

Wideband O2 sensors are very necessary in open loop tuning (wide open throttle). Especially when dealing with forced induction, there are many factors that can change the operation of the ECU: air pressure, density, temperature, flow, etc. Therefore, one would want to be able to look at these values in real time, and log them (if possible).

Boost/vacuum pressure
Narrowband O2 voltage
Wideband O2 voltage
STFT (short term fuel trim)
LTFT (long term fuel trim)
Coolant temperature
Engine RPM
Speed (MPH)
Timing
MAF RAW (raw value of mass air flow sensor)
Air temperature
Knock sensor count
Good point, I also monitor both wide and narrow bands. I found it easer to tune and was able to get more torqe when i went to spend density tuning.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

thanks for the info every one, looks like its gona be wideband, boost/vac, and ???? mabe fuel pressure?

Originally Posted by Blown287
My piggyback monitors my EGT to boost level to ensure I'm pushing enough alcohol. If you are going forward with the Cobra blower, good luck. I believe you will be the first of the G2 4.7Ls to do it.
the cobra/airram setup is kind of a distant thought now, there is no info on weather or not it will clear my coils or fuel rails, and no responces to my messages from airram, and i would have to hack and extend my entire engine harness as it runs tight over the intake manifold, not to mention all the other custom fab work that will be needed, i'm going to attempt an in bay turbo with an intercooler and the cats in stock location, if its not posible, it will be a down stream turbo, no intercooler, with self contained lube system and moniters

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 08-12-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: wideband or not?