3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Yet ANOTHER cold air intake.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Ueland
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet ANOTHER cold air intake.........

So I was reading around on the various cold air intakes that people were trying, so I decided I should post a pic of what I decided to go with.

First I gotta call out Rengnath.. reading your post is what made me decide to list mine up here...

I tried to figure out how to get more air into the box. It seems that the trumpet (piece that goes from the fender-wall to the box) is a big restrictive bottleneck. So I ended up ordering these two parts from spectre Which let me get rid of the restrictive feeding of my box.
Spectre #9148 4" Adapter Plate $6.00
Spectre #9751 4" Intake Tubing $25.00
For install I marked a teplate on the box of where I wanted the opening, then trimmed away the box for the increased air flow. I then put a bead of silicon around the edge of the plate and used pop rivets (with metal backers) to install it onto the airbox. I did end up trimming a few parts of the plate to fit the box a bit better, and used 2 rivets per corner.

Next I ripped that foam crap off the firewall where the trumpet originally seated. I then marked around the hole where I needed to increase the diameter for the 4" hose to pass through. NOTE: Trim the area furthest away from the air box. it will make it easier to route the tubing as the bend won't be as severe. Once trimmed I installed the tube onto the air box, fed it into the hole, and proceeded to mount the lower air box.

Here's the finished product after install. Hard to notice unless your looking for it.

Also note that the tubing comes in 41" lengths which is more then enough if you want to route it to the airdam for a ram-air type intake

For the Filter I went with a K&N factory replacement. I still wasn't happy with the restriction and chambering of the factory intake tube, so I looked around and ended up going with one from Airaid. Its a polymer tube (which reduces heat) has a great fit, and even fitted for the AIT sensor.
I just got the tube Airaid 300-965 For $110.00
But if I hadn't already gotten the K&N I would have gotten the Tube and Filter kit (Airaid 300-765) for $147.00 And saved myself a few bucks.

So for $178.00 I have a true Cold air intake that is Free Flowing, Quiet, and almost invisible.

Later on I may decide to route the ducting into the grill for increased air intake, in which case I'll update this thread...

Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, Airaid makes good stuff. Airaid filters is what I use on the blower.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, You beat me to it! I have been toying around with a few ways of doing what you did, but without flexible tubing..
Nice job and write up!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
rengnath
Champion

Looking good! I bought the airaid MIT before the quickfit just because I figured that had the most restriction. Its a easy and clean install, but its pretty expensive! The guy at Autozone that did the special order thought I was crazy for paying $100 for a piece of plastic. I may have to use the same intake tubing to go from the fender to the box though. I tried running the same galanized pipe that I ran up the fender to the box, but it couldnt swing the turn.

The Airaid quickfit isnt even really necessary IMO. I shouldve just stuck with my KN drop-in. Lol.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

looks good! you could take off the top of the stock filter box and just put a Circle filter there so you would deffinately get more poneys out of it and better MPG and still have the bottom part of the box there and your tubing you just put in...just a suggestion!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
looks good! you could take off the top of the stock filter box and just put a Circle filter there so you would deffinately get more poneys out of it and better MPG and still have the bottom part of the box there and your tubing you just put in...just a suggestion!

I looked into that and if you do the math, the rectangular filter has just as much area as the round filter. Also your main limiting factor is throttle body, intake tube, based in the CFM required by the motor. In this case they're both equal.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

okay but even at that when you step on the gas its havn to pull air from the box which gets its air from the fenderwell right? well if you put a round flter right there where the box is...ding quicker and more airflow!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
okay but even at that when you step on the gas its havn to pull air from the box which gets its air from the fenderwell right? well if you put a round flter right there where the box is...ding quicker and more airflow!
Nope... same size area of filter (square inches) Also with the 4" intake tube being fed by a 4" feed tube, the only thing the factory filter box is really doing is sealing out engine heat.

Like I said, I did the research and the math before I wasted any presidents on this one...

Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 AM
rengnath
Champion

The only better thing you could do is "force" the air in to the filter box now, via a ram air set up. The risk would be sucking up water though when it rains.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by rengnath
The only better thing you could do is "force" the air in to the filter box now, via a ram air set up. The risk would be sucking up water though when it rains.

Yeah... Like the March Performance Intakes.
A friend of mine had this on his 5.0 years ago.... One nice size puddle and he turned it into a onetime use shopvac. Needless to say once he got a new motor he didn't reinstall the intake kit.

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER cold air intake.........