3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

No Cold AC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
nola24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Cold AC?

I put in an efan last night, and today I go to turn the AC on, it blows, but when I hit the cold button, nothing! What gives?
I didn't mess with the AC, except to attempt to put the override for the fan with the AC clutch fuse. This did nothing so I put it back to normal though.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

is the compressor clutch engaging? fuse good?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 PM
nola24
Professional

I had my fan tied in to the HVAC fuse, and that was causing the problem. But now I don't know where to put the ignition tie in, especially since I don't think my temp probe is working.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Ueland
Veteran

I just did the same install...

Here's a direct link to how I have mine wired. it works perfectly.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2281669-post160.html

Also note that the A/C temp is partially controlled by the temp sensor mounted on the front frame (drivers side) in front of the radiator. It bases its temp off the actual outside temp, to prove this you can unplug the sensor and turn on the air and it will blow ICE cold... also note that doing this WILL THROW A CODE so be prepared to clear it if you try this out.

Also with the fan (green wire) hooked to the AC relay, it is only triggered when the compressor is actually engaged, not the entire time the AC is in operation. There's no problem with this configuration, just don't expect to test it and have the fan spring to life as soon as you hit the A/C button unless the a/c clutch is actually engaging.

Hope this helps....

Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Ueland
Also note that the A/C temp is partially controlled by the temp sensor mounted on the front frame (drivers side) in front of the radiator. It bases its temp off the actual outside temp, to prove this you can unplug the sensor and turn on the air and it will blow ICE cold
this may explain why my ac is not very cold sometimes? we need to come up with a "power wire" type mod so the thing makes the ac blow cold all the time!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM
lmrjason
Veteran

a/c won't blow cold unless the fan is running...or your moving fast

Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
nola24
Professional

Originally Posted by Ueland
I just did the same install...

Here's a direct link to how I have mine wired. it works perfectly.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2281669-post160.html

Also note that the A/C temp is partially controlled by the temp sensor mounted on the front frame (drivers side) in front of the radiator. It bases its temp off the actual outside temp, to prove this you can unplug the sensor and turn on the air and it will blow ICE cold... also note that doing this WILL THROW A CODE so be prepared to clear it if you try this out.

Also with the fan (green wire) hooked to the AC relay, it is only triggered when the compressor is actually engaged, not the entire time the AC is in operation. There's no problem with this configuration, just don't expect to test it and have the fan spring to life as soon as you hit the A/C button unless the a/c clutch is actually engaging.

Hope this helps....
Thanks a lot. So how did you actually connect the green wire to the fuse? Just jam the exposed wire under the fuse prong?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by imrjason
a/c won't blow cold unless the fan is running
Well, if you are referring to the HVAC fan, yes it is running.

Originally Posted by imrjason
or your moving fast
but i need cold air when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic and it's 99 degrees outside....lol

Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by nola24
Thanks a lot. So how did you actually connect the green wire to the fuse? Just jam the exposed wire under the fuse prong?

actually its a relay, and yes, I threw some solder on the end if the wire to make a tiny loop and put it through there...

I've got some fuse taps that work great, and I could probably send a few of those out if ya need em.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
nola24
Professional

Well for the ignition wire I have a fuse tie in (same as tap?), so I think I'm good there, thanks. I just went out and rewired it, my fuse box is different from yours so I put the ignition wire in one of the spares, and put the override in with the AC Clutch relay. I started her up and turned the AC on.. nothing. But it shouldn't turn on till it's running for a while, right.. Guess I'll hope for the best tomorrow on my way to school.

Quick Reply: No Cold AC?