3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 AM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree

I just can't help but think the Durango parts would bolt right on, if we can get the part # for the mounting flange/backing plates to the axle. I would think a good MOPAR parts man could tell us if the axel flange is the same from Durango to Dakota.

I have looked at the 2005 ram manual and cannot locate the flange Part in either the brake or axle section

Anyone know if Durango/RAM calipers/roters are the same?

LB

Old 11-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
We just need someone to make a spacer/adapter to mount the Ram 1500 or Durango setup...can't be that hard to do!
Wanna bet...

Originally Posted by LB
I agree

I just can't help but think the Durango parts would bolt right on, if we can get the part # for the mounting flange/backing plates to the axle. I would think a good MOPAR parts man could tell us if the axel flange is the same from Durango to Dakota.

I have looked at the 2005 ram manual and cannot locate the flange Part in either the brake or axle section

Anyone know if Durango/RAM calipers/roters are the same?

LB

The quick simple answer is yes the Ram and the Durango share the same rear brake setup.

..HOWEVER... they use disc brake setup with an internal drum style parking brake.

To do this mod you would need:
E-drum back-plate $ ??
Caliper mounting bracket $ ??
Caliper Bracket $50pr
Calipers $200pr
Brake pads $20
Rotors $80pr
E-Brake Shoes $20
E-Brake hardware kit $15
Brake hoses $30pr
Random small parts. $50
Total $465+Dealer Brackets

This all sounds well and good, but what you inevitably run into on alot of these setups is factory only micro parts. Something like an internal E-drum routing plate that has no part number/availability/source as its a no wear item and would never conceivably be replaced.

Also the cost and availability of 4 factory brackets plus mounting hardware for said brackets could become a big factor.

Granted once everything was all said and done, it would be alot easier to look up dodge parts for replacement, however I think the initial conversion could become a bit overwhelming.

Only way this would become reasonable would be to scavenge parts at a junk yard, and most times you run into them not wanting to strip parts off the axle as its worth more if its complete.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah...this will be a big thing...but once i get to texas and get my tax return money i'm gonna be purchasing the rear disc conversion kit and hopefully someone in the forthood area is willing to come and help me or i'll find some help on base and get it on and take pictures and really how to do it step by step! so we shall see! so maybe i'll get to do something new before BLOWN steals this one away! lol

Old 11-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

By looking at the brackets on the site listed, they look easier to make than the brackets I made for my Datsun, which granted I had my Grandfather machine for me, but the overall design was not that difficult to come up with.

This has me thinking now....

Old 11-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Great find Blown! I think you just increased the number of my paychecks with a portion allocated in advance to the truck.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

I am thinking..just get a whole rear from the junkyard.
The flange/backplate changed in late 2006 (don't quote me on that, somewhere around there).
I think the issue is the spacing between the flange and the axle itself.
Some sort of adapter to take care of the spacing and/or bolt pattern would do it.

There are plenty of durango/ram wrecks out there for donors...if I had the time/space to do it (no shop for me..yet!)...

Heck, could always have someone narrow the rear from a Ram!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
I am thinking..just get a whole rear from the junkyard.
The flange/backplate changed in late 2006 (don't quote me on that, somewhere around there).
I think the issue is the spacing between the flange and the axle itself.
Some sort of adapter to take care of the spacing and/or bolt pattern would do it.

There are plenty of durango/ram wrecks out there for donors...if I had the time/space to do it (no shop for me..yet!)...

Heck, could always have someone narrow the rear from a Ram!
Well you would almost definitely have to pull the axle shafts to install durango parts. Depending on the design of the system you might have to swap in the durango shafts too. I'm not sure if the Dak and Durango have the same track width, so custom shafts or a complete axle swap might be necessary.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

sounds like the kit is the way to go then.....everything is there for you.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

yup i'm sticking with it! my only ? is when you need pads for it are they the same size and part number as the ones for the front?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
before BLOWN steals this one away! lol
You better do it before April then, lol.

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brake Conversion