3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 AM
Cuban11182
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afgentech
what older gm parts exactly are we talking here?
http://www.tsmmfg.com/Ordering_Examples_1.htm

Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
mikeg87xx
Professional

Has anyone converted yet? I have an 06 Dakota and wanted to know if the kit worked and if it was worth the $$$, etc etc.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

I've given it serious thought but have not yet had the time or $.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
mikeg87xx
Professional

I want too now, it doesnt look too difficult at all but I have my headers coming, and then i want to get the JMR lift, and now i want to do the brake conversion... so much to do...so little time and so little $$$. ..

Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to be very careful using the rear calipers with built in park brake.
We manufacture a small electric truck and have been using the early Eldorado rear calipers for the last 4 years after switching from drum for the previous 4 years.
We found the rebuilt calipers very unreliable and have used 3 different brands. All have problems with the park brake mechanism.
Last month I found Speedway sells a new copy of the same GM caliper. We brought in 4 to try. 3 of them developed fluid leaks within 3 days.
We are now testing the newer "metric" rear disc GM calipers to see how they perform. The early ones used vented rotors and the new ones use a solid rotor.
All of these rear calipers with built in park brake rely on the constant use of the park brake to keep the caliper adjusted. If you don't use the park brake regularly then the caliper gets out of adjustment and you have a low brake pedal.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 AM
mikeg87xx
Professional

EVGuy, when you put the new calipers in and attach the Parking Brake, do you press and release the parking brake also? That will set the caliper, then bleed the brakes? IF you bleed the brakes first, then press and release the parking brake, problems apparently will arise in the calipers. The company uses brand new / newly designed calipers, that do fit on the 85 eldorado but they apparently dont have the problems the eldorado ones did. Only downfall is that if you need new rotors you need to go back to that TSMMFG company to get then as they are custom designed.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeg87xx
EVGuy, when you put the new calipers in and attach the Parking Brake, do you press and release the parking brake also? .
Yes we have even had techs from Delco involved. We have been building trucks for 22 years so we are not new to the game.
The Speedway calipers came with specific instructions which we followed and those were the ones that leaked. The park brakes did ratched very nice but the leak was a problem.
The rebuilt ones never leaked it was always a park brake issue. We would bring in 10pr and usually send back 4-6pr because the park brake would not ratchet out the pads. I have been told they cant buy the replacement parts for the park brake ratchet so they clean up the old stuff and reinstall it. From our failure rate I would agree.
Hopefully the later model ones will prove to be a better choice.

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brake Conversion