3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New 2005 Dakota Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:18 AM
gripnrip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2005 Dakota Owner

Hi all, I've been lurking here for the last few weeks as I was truck shopping but now that I picked up my "new to me" '05 Dakota last week I thought I would post up.

My truck is the '05 2WD V6 Club Cab ST, auto, Patriot Blue with cruise, heated seats, and all the options I wanted (except power windows, but no biggie). It's in great shape mechanically and cosmetically, 89,000 kms and I've had a blast the last week getting used to driving a truck.

It's my first truck, I've always been into small sporty Japanese cars and I've never owned American, nor a truck. But my wife and I both ride street bikes (currently she has '06 Honda VFR and I ride a '02 Yamaha R1) and wanted to get into dirt biking. Which led to looking at getting a small truck for hauling the dirtbikes. And that led to "why not get something a little bigger so we can fit the R1 and VFR in the back so we can bomb down the I5 to California in the off season?"

Originally I wanted a Ford Ranger as they are so common, easy to find one in good shape for a good price. But after driving it, a little too small in the cab for us. Taco was too pricey and I was looking for a newer model, find them ugly. I drove a V6 Frontier and really liked it, but tough to find a gently used one as they are not as common. Also looked at Canyon/Colorado's but the interiors were terrible and I didn't really want to drive a GM product, for some reason I felt like Ford and Dodge were slightly classier. Can't explain it. Plus the Canyon's I drove felt cheap and plastic-y.

Which left the Dakota, my wife's first pick (she likes big cars/trucks, and she liked the mini-Ram like styling of the 05-07's). Unfortunately only one cell phone picture when we bought it as it has been raining here in Vancouver non-stop for the last week. I keep hoping the sun will come out for even 5 minutes so I can wash and wax it to take some quick photos!

But the truck is perfect for us, not too small, not too big, not too bad on gas, still enough power for our needs, comfortable! We did a road trip to Seattle for the motorcycle show this past weekend and the truck was great, I really like the larger size, but still small enough to drive in the city.

Didn't mean to write an essay, but looking forward to learning lots here!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your new truck and welcome to DF. You will find a lot of information in past threads. Make yourself at home and enjoy.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 AM
VConfreda
Rookie

Wow, it looks just like mine before I had the bumpers painted and stuff. I bought my dakota as my first veicle that I ever actually owned and I isntantly fell in love with it.

I onily have been on DF for about a month and I can tell you that the stuff these guys do are completly amazing. You can learn everything about these trucks just by listening to these guys.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Welcome aboard the forum. With all of the great minds here there isn't problem we can't help you fix. Enjoy!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 AM
trevorrawson
Rookie

Congrats on the buy and welcome! I just bought my '05 a little over a week ago and I'm loving it! There is a lot of good info on here. If you need any help from one rookie to another feel free to ask. Nice looking truck!!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome welcome

Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Congrats and Welcome to DF.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericemery
Welcome to DF.

My only question is... a 2 wheel drive in canada? I'm surprised that isn't against the law! just kidding. Nice truck. Looking forward to some more pics!

just joined and already givin him crap? lol jk eric but hey if your not picked on from time to time means no one likes ya! lol

Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Great looking truck and excellent color choice!! Welcome to the forum...lots of good people and good stuff to be found on here!

Quick Reply: New 2005 Dakota Owner