3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Getting Pushed Around???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Pushed Around???

Hey got a question...

Do any of you guys notice that your dakota is pushed around by wind easily, like steering issues? In the last couple of days, we have had some strong winds, and you could tell it in the steering that the wind was pushing you off course.

Since this happened, I also noticed that it has a huge tendency to want to pull in one direction or the other on the slightest of angles, get on a slight angle, whether it is a turn or not, and wham, that wheel wants to turn downhill. I have not noticed this in other trucks only in one other car.

Do you guys think that there is something loose down below? It is 25 degrees outside, so I don't really want to climb under it on the frozen ground, but this is really starting to irritate me. Not two weeks ago, I could let go of the wheel, and it would coast on a straight stretch without user input for a mile, now, I make it 100 yards if lucky before it pulls one direction of the other.

The steering is still really tight, next to no play at the wheel, quite responsive yet. I know it is not tire pressure, just checked them this morning, and all were at 37psi.

The only thing that i have noticed beside this is a slight wobble in the steering wheel at 65+.

Any Ideas? It is time for new tires, but I would not think that they would make it have the tendency to want to pull that much like this.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
gjmoran
Captain

i noticed this today really bad on my truck
its been raining and windy as hell over here. i was going about 35 on the street and went over a few bumps and it felt like my truck was pulling and going every which way, even sideways.. kinda scared me for a sec. it does this on the freeway too just not as bad as it was earlier in the rain. on the freeway if i hit any type of rough asphalt it feels liek the frotn and back want to steer opposite ways..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine does that too. pretty bad actually.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 PM
QuadDodge02
Professional

i think it is just the truck. my 2002 and 2006 dak acted the same way

Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
rengnath
Champion

Same here. My wheel is always turned about an 8th on a normal road. If theres no wind and the road is perfectly flat, my wheel is straight so its not an alignment issue.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok think about it this way! you walk in the wind it can make you walk different right and push you a little bit? same thing...wind can move an 18 wheeler so it can sure move our truck...just dpends on how fast your driving and how strong the wind is blowing, gonna move any vehicle!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 PM
ballsout
Professional

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
ok think about it this way! you walk in the wind it can make you walk different right and push you a little bit? same thing...wind can move an 18 wheeler so it can sure move our truck...just dpends on how fast your driving and how strong the wind is blowing, gonna move any vehicle!
wind moves an 18 wheeler because of the size of the area it has to hit, i drive city buses and when wind hits that it is 10 times worse than any car I have driven...

Our trucks are definitely lacking in the aerodynamics, the only regular vehicle i have driven thats worse is my old jeep.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM
QuadDodge02
Professional

ya a semi is like a big wind sail not even close to the same thing. I drive a new chevy 2500 for work and it doesn't wander across the road and wind doesn't affect it nearly as much. What about cabin noise in high wind? Mine is really loud, mostly if i'm on the highway and the wind is crossing the truck from passenger side to drivers side. or just driving fast like 75+

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol i got no front sway bar. when the wind hits me its time for a 3 wheel

Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 PM
lootownpunx
Professional

yea im sure its just a dakota thing having owned all 3 generations of em,somtimes i wonder cause of the solid rear axel and cv's up front on this medium sized truck act funny.

Quick Reply: Getting Pushed Around???