3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Anyone know what this is used for...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot954
I replaced the right head gasket on my 2006 durango and took the part off the back of the right head...... i think. I left it in the wiring harness and now cant find out where it mounts too. It is on the wiring harness up against the firewall right at the back of the head. If anyone can tell me where it mounts now, it would be greatly appreciated!!
So the air bag capacitor is mounted somewhere on the engine? Then I'm really not going to worry about it because of where this one was when I found it, so long as the Dakota and Durango are the same. Is yours the 4.7?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is where you would get into trouble.

The only time that thing is utilized is in a crash where power to the system is cut off during the accident. IE both the engine shuts down, and the batter gets a line severed.

Then this little thing will continue to hold a charge for a while so that should one of the air bag continuity sensors get crushed, bam you still flow electricity to the ignition module and the airbags still go off.

The only time that you would have an issue is if you managed to get in a wreck that shut down the engine, and severed the batter BEFORE the air bag sensor was crushed. then in theory your air bags would not go off.

It is rather unlikely that you are going to cut the battery and kill the engine without crushing an airbag sensor anyway, but there is the possibility. More of a put a feather in your hat design rather than a truly functional one but whatever.

Anyway, dont worry about it, if you find where it is supposed to go good on ya. If not, then try not to get into any wrecks where a gremlin cuts the battery and the engine before you hit a sensor.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this is used for...