3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I am almost giving up on getting new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am almost giving up on getting new wheels

This TPMS has become a major headache. Every wheel I like ends up not accepting TPMS. Many times you don't even know. Stopped by a tire shop and the guy said tpms is just a valve stem so any wheel will accept it regardless what the manufacturer says. Is this true?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is just a valve stem, you can move yours to the new wheel or buy new ones.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,12036

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Old 08-21-2011, 12:45 PM
lootownpunx
Professional

yes..but the main issue is how there shaped...with the OE wheels there designed to fit the wheels flush and away for the bead of the tire.

-with aftermarket wheels they tend to change the angle of the sensor box on the stem could come in contact with a tire changing machine when setting the tire.

(iv seen many break on accident,i worked at a shop for a few years)

Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

That is what I thought. The sensor attached to the stem is rather bulky. It may not sit well inside the wheel if it is not designed for it. Of course, if I buy the wheels locally then we will know right away. Problem is there are few places selling wheels these days.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you letting the TPMS be a deciding factor? If you find wheels you want, get them. If the TPMS works, great. If not, you're not really missing anything... right?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Man, I'm so glad that I don't have those sensors, nothing but trouble. The Ram guys don't seem to have too much trouble putting these sensors into new wheels, do a search in the 4th or 3rd Gen Ram sections.

There is a way to trick your TPMS without having to even put them into your wheels.

You build a 'pipe bomb' and insert your sensors into the tube. Pressurize the tube and your sensors believe the tire pressures are fine. I copied this from another forum, and there are a few variations on this, and they all seem to work fine.

Just an option, I am not recommending this.

Grocery List:
  • 3" PVC SCH.40 Pipe (about 4 to 4 1/2" in length)
  • Two (2) 3" PVC SCH.40 End Caps
  • One (1) Can Heavy Duty PVC Cement (glue) (green label - to contain pressure in tube)
  • One (1) Small Valve Stem (yes, like for a tire)
  • Optional: Bubble Wrap (to keep the sensors for clanging together)
Tools Needed:
  • Fine Sand Paper
  • Drill
  • Drill Bit (size can vary depending on Valve Stem width)
  • Jigsaw
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Steps:
  1. Take the jigsaw and cut the 3" pipe down to about 4 to 4 1/2" in length. It can be longer if you would like.
  2. Sand down the ends where you cut the pipe so they are smooth to allow for a good bond to the end caps.
  3. Take the cement (glue) applicator and rub it around one end of the pipe and the inside wall of the end cap.
  4. Quickly put the end cap on, pushing it as far as you can onto the pipe. The cement sets quickly, so work fast.
While the cement sets, get the sensors ready to be inserted into the pipe.
  1. Cut the bubble wrap into strips long enough and wide enough to wrap around each sensor like a diaper. (around the plastic part)
  2. Wrap the bubble wrap around the plastic part, then tape it so that it stays around the sensor.
  3. Repeat this for each sensor. Set them to the side.
Now let's do some drillin'!
  1. Take the valve stem, and hold it up to a drill bit to find the right size. What you want is a bit that will allow the valve stem to be pushed through the end cap from the inside out, but small enough to stop it from passing all the way through. (You may want it a little snug when passing through so it will be a little tight on the valve stem.)
  2. Drill the hole in the end cap.
  3. Take the sand paper and smooth down the inside and outside of the end cap where you drilled the hole. On my end caps, there was writing. I sanded that down also to give a smooth surface. (see picture)
  4. Push the valve stem through from the inside out with the smaller end facing up, away from the end cap.
  5. Once in, make sure you are unable to pull it through with a reasonable amount of force.
Now back to the pipe.
  1. Slide each sensor into the pipe with the stem pointing up. Once all four are in, you may have to jiggle it to get them to settle better.
  2. Optional: If you would like, you may put extra bubble wrap at the end to make them fit snug.
  3. Take the cement (glue) applicator and rub it around the end of the pipe and the inside wall of the last end cap.
  4. Quickly put the end cap on, pushing it as far as you can onto the pipe. The cement sets quickly, so work fast.
Your TPMS Sensor pressure pipe is now complete.
  1. ATTENTION!!! Allow the cement (glue) to set and dry over night before filling with air. ATTENTION!!!
  2. Fill the pipe with air. It should take one to three seconds to reach +-35 psi.
  3. Check the pressure with a tire gauge. You should be able to "trick" the system.
Congratulations, you're finished!!!

Warning: I am not responsible for any damage done to the sensors, your tools, your hands, or your brain (glue smell).

Last edited by dakotaff; 08-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

Umm, I really don't want to be grilled by Homeland Security. I have a feeling they may not buy my story!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol awesome idea but where do you keep these 4 bomb looking things in your truck lol i would almost just pull the bulb from the dash and hot even worry about putting them in several people asked us to just leave them out when i worked at les schwab

Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by moparman_2004
lol awesome idea but where do you keep these 4 bomb looking things in your truck lol i would almost just pull the bulb from the dash and hot even worry about putting them in several people asked us to just leave them out when i worked at les schwab
It's only ONE tube that contains all four sensors. You can keep it anywhere in your truck, the cab, the bed, or strap it up inside of the engine bay.

Another option is to get a tubeless wheelbarrow tire and put them inside, pump it up and keep the tire with you.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the dealer and have the TPMS option turned off, haha. Other then that the pipe idea or just deal with the light (idk if it beeps or not, I dont have it.)

Quick Reply: I am almost giving up on getting new wheels