3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need helping finding out a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need helping finding out a problem.

Well, it started earlier this week. But I was out of town till now.

It vibrates very bad at around 80-90km/h, but goes away at higher speeds. Also the steering wheel seems to stiffen up when I turn to the right. and Occasionally to the left.
EDIT: Also seems to be coming from the front.

Any Ideas? I did have a problem with the Intermediate steering shaft, But it was fine once it was greased (Was told it will need replacing at some point)
But that was only the stiffening of the wheel, and it was Left or Right didnt matter.

Last edited by Reject; 10-20-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
08_Dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm could be bearings or tires? Did you check your tire pressure for the vibrating issue? I would maybe check an alignment shop and have the tires hi speed balanced.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same vibrating problem with my wife's Saturn L200 until I swapped out the rims with some aftermarket ones. I was starting to think it was a bent rim but when I had snow tire put on the stock rims they didn't say anything about a bent rim so I'm not sure what it is. I'll find out here in a few weeks when I swap over to snow tires. How long ago did you grease the intermediate shaft? You might need to just replace it. I would grease it again and see if it goes away.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 08_Dakota
Hmm could be bearings or tires? Did you check your tire pressure for the vibrating issue? I would maybe check an alignment shop and have the tires hi speed balanced.
Im hoping its not a bearing, I had one of the front ones replaced when I bought it. The tires where rotated and balanced not to long ago (5,000k)

Originally Posted by marcsnyder05
I had the same vibrating problem with my wife's Saturn L200 until I swapped out the rims with some aftermarket ones. I was starting to think it was a bent rim but when I had snow tire put on the stock rims they didn't say anything about a bent rim so I'm not sure what it is. I'll find out here in a few weeks when I swap over to snow tires. How long ago did you grease the intermediate shaft? You might need to just replace it. I would grease it again and see if it goes away.
Months and Months ago, haha. When I was told it would need replacing in the future. They greased if for free, and I never thought about it since.

The issues started recently, they are the factory rims to.
At first I thought a flat but it wasnt.
I found a factory set of the same rims with the center caps (the cheap steel rims) for $40/ec off a 08 I was looking at picking up for my winter tires.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go ahead and get those wheels and see if the vibrating is still there after you switch them out. Than you would have it narrowed down to a wheel or tire if is goes away.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 PM
ballsout
Professional

mine was shaking the same way as yours and it was just that the struts were blown to the point of having a harmonic vibration like that. Check struts and sway bar end links. After my struts were replaced the vibration was still there and i changed the end links and it now drives like a brand new truck. If it was a bearing you would hear it and the truck would shake and feel loose.
Also for the steering just lube the intermediate shaft and maybe flush the power steering fluid.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by marcsnyder05
I would go ahead and get those wheels and see if the vibrating is still there after you switch them out. Than you would have it narrowed down to a wheel or tire if is goes away.
Hopefully it isnt my tires, From what Ive heard they are expensive ones that are on it. (Old owner used to work for a tire place, and got them for like 1/3 the cost)
I was just like, Tires with good thread, haha. Basically snow tires really.
Parents told me to buy summer tires, I bought new winter ones instead.

I was kinda hoping for a more direct answer, Cause I just ordered Upper and Lower Rad supports, So cash is low till next pay. Also have to get it in for a oil change, and the plugs changed. Since I cant get the old ones out for the life of me, new are Autolite 3923's

Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
ballsout
Professional

also squeeze the boots on the steering rack and make sure they are clear. If it feels like they are full of fluid you have a blown steering rack.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ballsout
also squeeze the boots on the steering rack and make sure they are clear. If it feels like they are full of fluid you have a blown steering rack.
Ill take a look at that when its not pouring outside. thanks. Hopefully is not that.
It was fine before I washed it to. I only cleaned tons of mud off for it... and stuck up inside the bedside.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ballsout
They are clear, no liquid in them that I could feel on either side.
Everything seems tight, nothing looks broke. I think its a Wheel Bearing (Vibration and Steering Problems) or Intermediate Steering Shaft (Steering Problem) and a Bent or out of Balance Tire (Vibration)

Ive had a bad wheel bearing before. But it didnt cause this bad of vibration, But it might not have been gone this bad either.

Quick Reply: Need helping finding out a problem.