3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rack out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack out.

well tonight i spent 2 hours by myself wrenching the crap out of my rusty truck removing the rack and pinion. what a PITA, but its out and thats all that matters kinda like cancer. tomorrow hopefully ill try and put the new one in. i did find out that when i bent my tie rod one winter they put moog back in. anyway im not going to be using those so if anyone wants them for really cheap ill give them away. next is upper ball joints and the awesome new tie rods that i have, they are so sick. then 2inch leveling kit, then when some of my friends get time i can put the body lift in. also spoke to my local dodge dealer today about my rusty truck. Chrysler said they would pay half for the rotted lower radiator support i told them to go to h3ll. i contacted Chrysler themselves to see if i can get anywhere they are going to look into the matter and get back to me by tomorrow, ( i put in a complaint). hopefully after all is said and done i can get away scott free. otherwise ill fix that POS support myself. kinda sad that i have a 60yrs old dodge b3b that sat outside for 30 years and the frame on that isnt even rusted. but h3ll china metal is the new in. my new thing is drive it til it dies. hopefully i can get 60k outta this hunk of rust. its only got 37k miles. anyway my ranting is over. ill try and post some pics when all is done.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you put the new one in, go buy some black spray can style plastic dip and spray the snot out of the pressure lines. It will save you in the long run if you plan on keeping the truck for a while. While you are at it, might as well spray the entire rack.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
i did find out that when i bent my tie rod one winter they put moog back in. anyway im not going to be using those so if anyone wants them for really cheap ill give them away.
Give them away, like free + shipping? Sounds good to me.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
Give them away, like free + shipping? Sounds good to me.
I'd say 30 bucks ships is good 10 bucks each plus 10 for shipping grand total of 30$ I think they retail new for what 50 bucks plus they have life time warranty

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
I'd say 30 bucks ships is good 10 bucks each plus 10 for shipping grand total of 30$ I think they retail new for what 50 bucks plus they have life time warranty
Sent PM

Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

well today i didnt get anything accomplished, spend hours on the phone yelling at Chrysler head quarters telling how much there product sucks. i filed a formal complaint with Chrysler, about how they treated the matter about the rust on my truck. they told me it was because it was something i either did or environmental. i really dont understand how a rusted off radiator support could be the cause of me.? i really gave it to them and thats all. they know theres a problem with these trucks, they offered to pay for half of the repair. over my dead body is that gonna happen. well if anyone thinks that just because they have 5 year 100k mile rust warranty there wrong because its a hoax. doesnt cover a dam thing, just to make you believe theres hope that if something did happen. o well ill continue my rebuilding process, hopefully i can get it to where i want it and i dont put my feet through the floor.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a sweet tube or fabbed lower core support with dimple dies would look sick!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

haha possibly a nice piece of square stock welded back in thats what im thinking. today was a decent day after work got home around 7pm jumped on the truck as soon as i ate dinner. took out both inner tie rods then i pushed the new rack up into its new home. nothings tight yet but its up there and i did happen to drill out for the new most awesome tie rods. i also got to see it in for the first time. still have alot of work to do after i get this project done. kinda sucks when your the only one doing it. but ill have pictures of everything soon. hopefully done by Saturday.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 AM
rapta619
Professional

What are these "new" awesome tie rods end you have? I'm waiting on 4 alignment / lower control arm bolts and ill have my truck together. I have Napa greaseable ones waiting to be put on. Btw, there 22.19 a peice. without washer or nuts. That was an expensive saw zall cut. Over 100 $ for bolts.

UPSTATE DODGE CHRYSLER JEEP IN ATTICA, SUCK.
well the service depth is ok...but the sales guys lie.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 AM
rapta619
Professional

The bolts. Not tie rod end. Tie rods from Napa are like 35 apeice. Greaseable + lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: rack out.