3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lets talk about bull bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk about bull bars

Hey guys,

So the parents have agreed to get me a bull bar for Christmas! I wanted tow hooks, but I figured if I'm going to go through all the trouble to get those body bolts out, I should make it worth it

I want the Chome Westin bull bar. Out of all of them it seems to look the best, IMO. I do like the look of the Broadfeet Bar that Dakotaff has, but not alot of places carry it. If you've got another brand, post a pic and you might change my mind though.

Id also like something that holds up, so if you have one that has rusted on you, thatd be good to know as well.

Next, I want a pair of lights for it. Ill only use them occasionally and I want to hook them up with a relay to come on with my highs. I was thinking KCs, but right now you can get the Westin lights free after rebate with the purchase of a bull bar. Im just worried they wont hold up as a set of polished stainless KCs will. But Im also not sure if the KCs will fit. I would also consider PIAA lights if I could get them for that $175 range.

Thanks for any input!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just looked on ebay and they sell piaa's for about 150-70. ive got 2 sets of the 510 series, the ion fog, and driving lights. wiring takes about 5 minutes since its already done for you.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I originally saw the Black Horse bull bar and liked that one, looks pretty much identical to mine.
And there is not a spot of rust on mine, so I definitely made a good choice.

Black Horse bull bar, chrome or black.
http://www.blackhorseoffroad.com/hom...kid-plate.html

As far as lights go, definitely get a 6" light, it fills out the bar perfectly.
I had 4" cheepo lights at first, thank god they rusted and replaced them with the PIAA 520 SMR, definitely a nice light.
But going from 4" to 6" was a big difference.

Good price on these right now. Exact ones that I have. $175.
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-5264-520-.../dp/B000MG40S0

Same ones in Black. $170
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000MG40S0

PIAA's site.
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/520smr.html

Last edited by dakotaff; 11-15-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I have an Aries stainless chrome that I purchased back in February I'd say. It is really nice looking and I got it for only $170 shipped i belive from autoanything.com The only problem is that its still sitting in my garage..(body bolts). I plan on taking it to Truck Guys this weekend though haha because my father is yelling at me to clean the garage and complaining it is taking up a lot of space! So, when I do get it installed I will post some pics for you. Hopefully it isn't more than 1.5 hours of labor though..ughh I warned the shop that the bolts are stuck on there. They looked at me funny when I asked if other 3rd gen Daks had this problem..guess some people just lucked out

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I originally saw the Black Horse bull bar and liked that one, looks pretty much identical to mine.
And there is not a spot of rust on mine, so I definitely made a good choice.

Black Horse bull bar, chrome or black.
http://www.blackhorseoffroad.com/hom...kid-plate.html

As far as lights go, definitely get a 6" light, it fills out the bar perfectly.
I had 4" cheepo lights at first, thank god they rusted and replaced them with the PIAA 520 SMR, definitely a nice light.
But going from 4" to 6" was a big difference.

Good price on these right now. Exact ones that I have. $175.
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-5264-520-.../dp/B000MG40S0

Same ones in Black. $170
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000MG40S0

PIAA's site.
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/520smr.html

dude, seriously stop posting pictures of your truck or I will have to go find me one that is that color and duplicate your look. Your truck is so classy.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM
rengnath
Champion

Thanks for the input guys, and for the links Dakotaff.

Do you have any rust issues on the PIAA lights? I was leaning towards the KCs because I can get polished stainless, and Im a little worries about the lights rusting on me. I did read that KC and PIAA are very similar with the KC being the better value, but the PIAAs will be more up to date and "high tech" when compared to the KCs. From what I found on other forums, both are good lights to put on the front of your truck.

I technically want a "driving light" too, correct? Not a "long range" set?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ive got a set of driving lights but cant use them in the city or when other traffic is around, they are just too bright, i got flashed about 1 mile away from an oncoming semi in a 4 lane road, i was in the far right and so was he. country roads or in the middle of the night is the only time i can use them.

ive also gotten flashed and flipped the bird for my foglights, some eclipse infront of me, my lights were glaring off the side mirror, not my fault they bought such a low car. i think the fogs are brighter than my headlights lol.

Last edited by thunder98110; 11-16-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Ever since I sintalled the 2.5" leveling kit, my front end sits higher so now my lights are super bright since they are not pointing down like they are supposed to.

Make a lot of people mad in the street. One day I'll get those blocks for a good price...lol

Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been a Westin fan for years after having cheap nerfs with pitting, peeling and even losing step pad issues. Never had a Westin nerf to have a single issue - BUT I'm seeing where they are going to thinner (and cheaper) piping on about everything they make and have seen a few Westin Bull Bars basically crumple like tin foil at the slightest fender bender.

I helped a buddy install a Hunter Accessories Bull Bar on his Cheby last year, was powder coated, but they make stainless too. Was also VERY inexpensive and solid as hell (meaning heavier than sh*t, compared to a Westin). Dunno if they make 'em for a Dak or not, but might be worth checking into.

I also think they are one of the better looking ones out there, but looks are obviously a personal taste thing...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-16-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
dude, seriously stop posting pictures of your truck or I will have to go find me one that is that color and duplicate your look. Your truck is so classy.
Thanks, your truck is lookin sweet too. Pretty much the same color as my car!

Originally Posted by rengnath
Thanks for the input guys, and for the links Dakotaff.

Do you have any rust issues on the PIAA lights? I was leaning towards the KCs because I can get polished stainless, and Im a little worries about the lights rusting on me. I did read that KC and PIAA are very similar with the KC being the better value, but the PIAAs will be more up to date and "high tech" when compared to the KCs. From what I found on other forums, both are good lights to put on the front of your truck.

I technically want a "driving light" too, correct? Not a "long range" set?

My brackets show a couple of rust dots, only seen from behind. You can only see them if you look really, and I mean really close. Absolutely nothing to worry about though. That's probably because I live in a town which uses tons of salt. It's number 3 on the list of towns with the most hills in the United States. It's funny to see white streets after snowstorms, praying for a thunderstorm to come and wash it all away, it's brutal.

Driving lights are the way to go, this page shows how some auxiliary lights work, look towards the bottom.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/LampSelectionGuide.html

Quick Reply: Lets talk about bull bars