3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

droppin my 05 er

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Highs On Bass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default droppin my 05 er

Probably going stupid cheap on this, I know there is a 2 inch drop kit for the rear... I'm not a fan of shackle kits because the weight going into my truck will not be so friendly on the drop kits. What I plan on doing is putting the rear drive axle over top of the rear leaf springs, and bolting them back on, that will give me a little bit of a drop. then putting helper bags on the axle so that I don't bounce around so much... might put a block on the rear end as well to further lower the rear end but thats if I really don't get the drop I want out of the rear.

second I will be cutting the front springs for the time being, Dropping the front about 2.5 inches, and then dropping the rear about 4.5 to 5 inches. I want to stay about 4 inches off the ground to keep good ground clearance for driving around, and for the Y pipe I have for a strait pipe setup under the truck.

But low enough to drop my center of gravity because I'm putting about 1800 pounds of weight in the bed of the truck in the next upcoming months of audio equipment. I will eventually buy bags and drop spindles for the front to also help support the weight of the system, but for now I need the stance more than the actual weight holding needs.

what do u guys think?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

dont know if thats been done on these trucks.....

Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I think. You should go for it.

Drop spindles don't exist, yet. So you're stuck with either cutting the coil or getting those insanely pricey drop struts fron airbagit.com, called lowboyz. They will drop up to 3 inches.

Try to ask Dragon05 what he did to get his drop, he's -4.5 in the front I think, but I'm pretty sure he can't align it back to spec though. If we had drop spindles, that wouldn't be so much of an issue...

As far as the axle flip, it's been done and rather successfully too. Even a block was added. Get some universal perches from jegs or summit, you don't have to dismantle anything yet. Just have a shop weld them on the underside of your axle. Then you can probably do the rest of the flip yourself in your garage. Then get some Belltech 2212DD shocks (shorter than stock) and you're done.

Last edited by FrenicX; 12-01-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

theres already been a couple bagged 3rd gen daks. its not bolt in cup job either lol.

for now the right, best, way. would be custom drop coilovers in the front and axle flip with a block or shaks in the rear. or link the rear with coilovers...or bags.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

Hey Hey....I'm here. Ok, to get my 4.5 inch drop, I bought a pair of spring perches from Summit racing and had them welded underneath the axle...no flip necessary. As for the front, get a set of Lowboyz coilovers from Airbagit. As for my alignment, I am perfectly aligned except for the wheel camber. My local Firestone got me to 2.6 degrees off perfect. Not bad considering that after it was dropped, I was off by nearly 6 degrees and eating a set of front tires every 4 months. Been a year now with just normal wear on the tires.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dragon05
Hey Hey....I'm here. Ok, to get my 4.5 inch drop, I bought a pair of spring perches from Summit racing and had them welded underneath the axle...no flip necessary. As for the front, get a set of Lowboyz coilovers from Airbagit. As for my alignment, I am perfectly aligned except for the wheel camber. My local Firestone got me to 2.6 degrees off perfect. Not bad considering that after it was dropped, I was off by nearly 6 degrees and eating a set of front tires every 4 months. Been a year now with just normal wear on the tires.
What size wheels and tires are you runnin there Dragon? Are they 20s?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Highs On Bass

well as far as the drop is concerned my issue with droping the front that low is going to be weight. because I'll be adding about 2000 pounds to the truck when everything is said and done I'll be putting about 16 batteries past the rear end of the truck, and 8 15 inch subs in the bed. a few more batteries where my 2nd row of seats were along with the amps etc. and with all that weight, I don't know if the lowboyz will compensate for the weight added.

as far as the rear I'm going to go with the flip on the rear for now. just move the springs under the rear end. will give me a little drop in the rear. I'm probably going to try and find some front springs off the 3500, and cop them down to height needed being they will give alot more pressure when under heavy breaking.

I did a ford ranger this same way when we loaded her down with audio equipment. we chopped the ranger springs at first, and when you would hammer the breaks it would get very shaky and kinda sketch. We then took springs off an f250 hd, and chopped them down, modded the spring base to allow for the f250 springs, and it made a world of difference.

this vehicle gets driven alot, and with the weight going into it, I need the strength, along with looks. and I'm not bagging the truck all the way around, Infact the bags in the rear will be strictly for load support. but with a lower stance to begin with.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

Originally Posted by FrenicX
What size wheels and tires are you runnin there Dragon? Are they 20s?
235/50 18s

Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

Originally Posted by Highs On Bass
well as far as the drop is concerned my issue with droping the front that low is going to be weight. because I'll be adding about 2000 pounds to the truck when everything is said and done I'll be putting about 16 batteries past the rear end of the truck, and 8 15 inch subs in the bed. a few more batteries where my 2nd row of seats were along with the amps etc. and with all that weight, I don't know if the lowboyz will compensate for the weight added.

as far as the rear I'm going to go with the flip on the rear for now. just move the springs under the rear end. will give me a little drop in the rear. I'm probably going to try and find some front springs off the 3500, and cop them down to height needed being they will give alot more pressure when under heavy breaking.

I did a ford ranger this same way when we loaded her down with audio equipment. we chopped the ranger springs at first, and when you would hammer the breaks it would get very shaky and kinda sketch. We then took springs off an f250 hd, and chopped them down, modded the spring base to allow for the f250 springs, and it made a world of difference.

this vehicle gets driven alot, and with the weight going into it, I need the strength, along with looks. and I'm not bagging the truck all the way around, Infact the bags in the rear will be strictly for load support. but with a lower stance to begin with.
Sounds like all your weight will be in the back end, Lowboys are just for the front. Also flipping your axle lowers the truck by the thickness of the axle and spring pack....close to 4.5 inches.....you'll definitely need airbags for all that weight you're projecting.

Can't wait to see the finished product

Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

According to Yuri at airbagit, the lowboys have adjustable dampening, is that true Dragon? That can help a bit with the weight.

Hey Bass, there are some nice rear bags here
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-59209/

Here's a thread with them installed on a -4"
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-4-drop-3.html

Quick Reply: droppin my 05 er