3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Temp. roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by koorbloh
bike in the bed, car on trailer, car full of gun cases.

if you're towing the car, you might as well fill it to the brim.
Originally Posted by reagor
how much does the motorcycle weigh? you could use one of these with the adapter from above

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...-bike-rail.jpg

my dirtbike wont fit my 5'3" bed (shoulda got the 6' bed) easily so we have one of these for the trips to the mechanic
He has traded the Raider in for a Nissan Titan

Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Dakota B'y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Hammer Z71! I found one at Princess Auto for $70. Same concept.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota B'y

Yep, looks just like the one I made. I was trying to find a pic more like that one when you asked as I basically copied it. It looks like they started with a regular extender too. The only thing you're gonna find with that is it's like 18" long and will really stick out the back causing a shin or knee nightmare waiting to happen. If you ONLY have it on when trailering, then it'll be fine, but I leave mine on which is why I cut down the extension about 6" before welding the other pieces on. Matter of fact I've already gotten the old shin bone whack with that hook and have since put a shackle in it's place. I also used the drill press to add more pin holes so I could vary the depth of whatever I hook up to it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota B'y
Don't ya love P-Auto! Did you see the $15 tow strap two weeks ago? I picked one up, then got 4-3/4 ton shackles yesterday. I just walk through and see what I don't need! |>))

Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Ain't gots one of them here in the deep south, I get all my D-rings, shackles and such at either Agri-Supply or Tractor Supply...

Old 12-20-2011, 03:13 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Ain't gots one of them here in the deep south, I get all my D-rings, shackles and such at either Agri-Supply or Tractor Supply...
I've never been to a Harbour Freight (do they have storefronts?) but I imagine that Princess Auto is a cross between Harbour Freight and TSC, throw in some surplus and you are there. My wife tries to hide the flyer when it comes through the door . . . .

Some stuff is brand name, old model, some is new model, mostly it is Chinese, Indian, where-ever-ese stuff. I wouldn't use it if I did this stuff every day to earn my living, but it is great to use a few times to fix your own stuff.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah they have stores and it sounds like Princess is basically another Harbor Freight, everything in the place is foreign made but you can get some real good deals. Most of the tools in my truck toolbox came from HF. I keep the cheap stuff in there because those are the ones get lent out &/or lost. My good stuff stays in the garage boxes.

I haven't been brave enough to get any recovery stuff from HF although they have it all and dirt cheap. Dunno if I trust a Chinese strap or shackle, although they say their winches are pretty good for the money - dunno, I have three Warns.

Most of the stuff in Agri-Supply is still US made, but I'm seeing a trend at Tractor Supply toward Chinese made items over the past two or three years...

Quick Reply: Temp. roof rack