3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking for advice on sisters truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
jplasse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Looking for advice on sisters truck

2006 4x4 4door Quad Cab v8 Sport

She just had her bf put on a front leveling kit... not sure if its the 2.5" or 3" and he ripped the CV boots when installing the spacer. So I replaced the whole axle assembly left and right from napa... Regardless the angle still seems steep and she ripped both inner boots in about 3 months with street driving.

I searched and it looks like no one makes diff drops and it seems like a lot of you are getting away with 2-2.5" lifts... now It sounds if she has the 3" pucks shes probably going to constantly have CV boot problems so Ill measure when I get home from work to verify.

I cant seem to find just CV boots to replace rather than whole axle assembly (unless boots are close to cose of axles). Is there anywhere you guys recommend (Rock Auto?) or are napa parts ok? Also is there any modifications you can do to the boot like on Tacomas and slide them down the shaft to make the ribs farther apart? or better brand boots? This problem is now going to be my problem because she is low on money so Im looking for best fix. I might just make her a diff drop if no one makes one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The puck itself will be less than 3 if it's a 3. Best to measure from stock height from fender. I'm not at stock height but I'm sure someone here can get you their measurement and tire size or at least a comparison of the spacer thickness. 3" is certainly too much. If it's a 2.5, driving style can be a factor.

If it turns out to be a 2 or 2.5, it might be best just to get some rancho struts which are the stiffest out there, that will limit the travel and hopefully limit the wear. If it's a 3, remove it.

JMR has a 6" lift out that drops the differential, there might be something you could utilize from the kit to fix your problem. I'm not sure if they would do a single part for you though, but it doesn't hurt to email them. Their website is jackmyride.com
KitSteel-2-50percent.jpg

Last edited by FrenicX; 02-16-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Coil over IFS Rams can do 2.5" max before CV and/or boot issues start. I recommend 2" to Ram guys, as it takes about 2 1/4" for it to sit perfectly level, I'd go no more on a Dak either. She wants more then it's time for either a level/body lift combo or a proper, true suspension lift...

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
jplasse

Its a dakota though, not a ram... If only way to tell what height its at is fender height, not sure what it was stock and fact that she put taller tires on it... I think 32's, not sure where it should be at. Im trying to avoid rancho's in that stiffening the ride isnt really what she is after... its a street queen so shes hoping to keep it close to stock.

Im going to measure the puck regardless and see what its "measures".

Anyone know about CV boot modifications by slipping it further down the axle like tacomas do? and do they even sell JUST BOOTS for these trucks? seems like they do for 2nd gen's but not 3rd's from what ive found?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jplasse
Its a dakota though, not a ram... If only way to tell what height its at is fender height, not sure what it was stock and fact that she put taller tires on it... I think 32's, not sure where it should be at. Im trying to avoid rancho's in that stiffening the ride isnt really what she is after... its a street queen so shes hoping to keep it close to stock.

Im going to measure the puck regardless and see what its "measures".

Anyone know about CV boot modifications by slipping it further down the axle like tacomas do? and do they even sell JUST BOOTS for these trucks? seems like they do for 2nd gen's but not 3rd's from what ive found?
The puck size is not equivalent to the actual lift acquired. Its smaller then what you will get of lift. (like a 2" Lift could have a 1 1/2" puck, or even 1")

4x4's Most get problem with any leveling kit above 2" Lift And problems with 2.5" and 3".
2wd Can do 2.5", and 3" with it it hitting the coil tho.

Other then a true suspension lift or Body lift, you will always get problems above a 2" Lift on a 4x4 Dakota.

Also these trucks have a slim aftermarket. I have a 2wd so Im not sure if they make just boots for CV's

Last edited by Reject; 02-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fender to hub center will eliminate the tires from the equation for your measurement. Hell, even fender to rim if they are stockers.

The boot is not the issue anyways, it will tear but even if you keep it from tearing, you are not eliminated the weakness in these rapezza joints. By design, they are not happy with anything out of stock angles. Best bet is to just find out what size you have and go a step lower or more.

You can always trim for tire clearance, since they are bigger tires she will probably need it. I have stock diameter tires, all I did was just go out an inch on my wheel offset and still had to trim.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

if its a street queen take those cv joints out.....

Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

I got a 2" kit. Only had problems with one boot throwing grease, but put another clamp on it and it stopped.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
jplasse

I understand the issue is the angle due to the spacers... Now on tacomas if/when you cut factory smaller side boot clamp and slide it further down the axle shaft, you are opening up the spaces/gaps between the ribs of the boot that prevent the ribs from rubbing one another... Didnt know if anyone had done that/tried it.

And from the respones it seems like no one has made/sells diff drops for these... Thats probably going to be the route ill go. Fab something up to drop her diff down. Its mainly a street queen but there are times she likes to go offroad. I would like to keep the lift (as would she) but eliminate the angle by either diff drop or if there was some "higher quality" boots?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they do sell a boot kit

The part number is 05161608AA

Google time!

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on sisters truck