3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hemi Swap 1yr Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got some new info from someone on another forum who did a 4.7 to 5.7 swap. It puts the wiring situation into perspective. I asked...
Originally Posted by FrenicX
I just had some questions about your swap if you don't mind.

I heard you used the 4.7 PCM, did you look into using the 5.7 PCM at all? If you did, what steered you away from it and how difficult was that route?

Did you just sit down with diagrams and swap over the connector, extend some here and there and what not?

What motor did you end up using, what year was it from?

Thanks for any infos you can offer, it will help me in the long and short of my own swap.
He responded with some great info:

Originally Posted by FastQC4.7
I swapped in a 2007 1500 Ram engine.

I looked into the 5.7 PCM but it was pretty close to impossible on the Ram due to the CAN databus in it looking for everything to match. Also I do not like drive by wire.

I did not even sit down with the wiring diagram to be honest. I put the 4.7 on the stand and removed the harness. Yanked the 4.7 off the stand, tossed the 5.7 on the stand, yanked off the 07 5.7 harness and then started connecting the 06 4.7 harness to the connectors on the 5.7 engine. I knew that the 5.7 engine would have a vacant MDS connector on the rear of the block. From there it was a simple matter of extending the TPS, IAC, oil pressure, crank sensor, and alternator wiring to the correct locations. The coolant temperature sensor, oil pressure sensor, alternator, and crankshaft position sensor had different connectors, but the wire colors and functions matched exactly between harnesses.
The more I learn about this swap, the better.

Also, thanks to HammerZ71, I know what I will need to turn any 5.7 MDS into a non-MDS motor. That opens up motor options. While I understand that I won't have MDS anwyays, it's nice to have it physically deleted instead of just programmed out. The lifters and yolks just need to be changed.. if I go that far, I might as well put a cam in while I'm at it. Now it's time to research Hemi cams.. yay more numbers.
http://www.modernmuscleperformance.c.../mm-57mdsd.htm

The following users liked this post:
BlackBodyDakota (12-13-2021)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About time more people decided to work up the 3rd Gens!

It's usually 2nd gen monsters at the track!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM
norma jean
Captain

i think you should drop in a viper engine and make your own srt 10 dakota edition... haha

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
norma jean
Captain

why can i no delete stupid things i say?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

Not sure on these, but I remember that the offset on the motor made issues for exhaust on a motor swap in the Gen2. I would plan custom headers unless the 4.7 matches up with the hemis. But if they can cram a V-10 in a Gen2, this should go pretty easy.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by norma jean
i think you should drop in a viper engine and make your own srt 10 dakota edition... haha
too much wiring for that one lol. I can hide a hemi from the inspector (OBDII checks) but a viper will stand out like a sore thumb..

why can i no delete stupid things i say?
you're your own worst critic. what did you say anyways? lol

Originally Posted by Barkleyfan
Not sure on these, but I remember that the offset on the motor made issues for exhaust on a motor swap in the Gen2. I would plan custom headers unless the 4.7 matches up with the hemis. But if they can cram a V-10 in a Gen2, this should go pretty easy.
Yea headers will probably be custom. I heard one will fit for some brands but that extra loop that most have won't clear on one side as the engine is 3" offset. I can start with manifolds 'cause they are sure to fit and go from there. I was thinking about aftermarket log style manifolds, but that seems like a waste.

I think the viper would be fine width wise, it's just a super long motor. E-fan and remount the radiator on the other side of the support might clear it. i sure would like the T56 trans though, even though 6th gear would be useless in that aerodynamically challenged overweight beast.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Ok guys, I'm about to make the biggest, most expensive, purchase involved in this build. Just got to hammer out some shipping details and such. I'm getting an '06 Vin2 assembly line fresh with 0 miles, stored in a climate controlled warehouse.. would have been the one installed in a Ram or Durango, and it comes with everything but the ECU, catalytic converters, and accessories. purchase should be finalized by tomorrow.. hopefully.

I went this route because I like the idea of new, really, but mostly because I didn't want to wait for a super deal on a low miles on that I would have to get harness and coils on anyways.. this has plugs, wires, wiring harness, intake, TB, (will be replacing that) manifolds, starter, egr, all covers, intake, and bracket for AC/ALT.. so to have a working truck I would just need accessories, CAI, efan, spliced harness, program, mounts, and exhaust welded.

But I'm not stopping there, it will get cammed and I am looking into other mods I can do while it's out too.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by FrenicX
too much wiring for that one lol. I can hide a hemi from the inspector (OBDII checks) but a viper will stand out like a sore thumb..

you're your own worst critic. what did you say anyways? lol

Yea headers will probably be custom. I heard one will fit for some brands but that extra loop that most have won't clear on one side as the engine is 3" offset. I can start with manifolds 'cause they are sure to fit and go from there. I was thinking about aftermarket log style manifolds, but that seems like a waste.

I think the viper would be fine width wise, it's just a super long motor. E-fan and remount the radiator on the other side of the support might clear it. i sure would like the T56 trans though, even though 6th gear would be useless in that aerodynamically challenged overweight beast.

after i said the viper thing i actually took the time to look it up, and it requires some extensive fab to make room for the viper, so i wanted to delete both things, but apparently there is no deleting things haha. but you'd have a massive sleeper if you did it all. all in all good luck in your project

Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

after i said the viper thing i actually took the time to look it up, and it requires some extensive fab to make room for the viper, so i wanted to delete both things, but apparently there is no deleting things haha. but you'd have a massive sleeper if you did it all. all in all good luck in your project
Thanks, I will need it. I don't want to be another project that has fizzled half way through. Our 3rd gen section has good track record though, I think everyone that started a project has finished, or is right near finishing.

I will help keep it that way

Shipping has been hammered out, delivering it to the place I used to work, has a loading dock, forklift and such.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Ok so I have a bit of an update, no pics yet as I don't have anything yet.. but I just got this update from the warehouse that I bought the engine from, apparently they couldn't drop ship it from their supplier so they had it shipped to them first, and now to me.

TRAILER 558454 IS ENROUTE TO INDIANAPOLIS IN US
Left on: 03/07/2012 from COLUMBIA, SC 29210
Estimated delivery: 03/14/2012 to Destination SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84119

Looks like I will be able to drink my green beer around the Hemi. I love beer holidays...

Another big hurdle has been jumped tonight too. I was having a hell of a time tracking down a Mopar Performance cable driven T.B. 80mm, and I stumbled across an 80mm cable operated TB from BBK for the Hemi. I got in touch with Richard at Hi-PoTek and he's going to order it to see if he can bore it to an 85mm or 90mm. It will also be cheaper this way too, that MP TB was $575.. I'll pay much less this way and have a bigger bore

BBK has model numbers for an 85 and 90mm but they never produced them, so I bet they use the same block, so the 80mm should be easy to bore out to at least an 85mm.

I've also decided on a cam upgrade, I'll be getting a Comp XFI 260. It's a torque cam so I should have no troubles spinning tires even with my 3.55 gears.

I'm thinking that the motor will make around 410hp at the crank which should amount to 300-320 at the wheels. That will be with headers, cam, TB, and CAI. I'm hoping the tune from Hemifever will increase that.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap 1yr Plan