3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long? umm go to any dealership and they are all rusting brand new on the lot. You may not see the rust, but every Dakota had rust straight from the factory.

So that would be 1+2.. carry the 1 so... 7-1/2 years.

Been showing on the wheel wells for 4 years

Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 PM
norma jean
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over! that looks horrible. How long has that been goin on for? I had that on my red dakota's rear bumper, and i think i'm getin it on my rear bumper.
my rear bumper didnt even make it to 40k without rusting

Originally Posted by Reject
haha, Its cause I can fit under my truck with no problems at all...and still have head room.
i dont fit very well and i dont have man ***** haha

Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

I see a potential problem for rusting where the rear wheel well sheet metal folds to meet the plastic wheel well housing. Especially the back bottom (behind the rear tires). Mine seems to fill up with dirt and mud all the time. It sticks between teh plastic wheel well liner and the fold of the painted sheet metal.

Have to make sure to clean that out good when washing.

The rear bumper is a whole different ball game....

I am just happy that it can be swapped out and replaced in a matter of a few bolts..

Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

Don't even bother with that sh.t Chrysler corp. those aholes are a joke to deal with my entire lower radiator support rotted off and they told me it was something that was self inflicted. The front cross member bubbled up and flaked off due to rust and they claim not under warranty. I'm under 5 yr rust warranty still. They still wouldn't warranty it. Dodge is a f-in joke when it comes to this pos made trucks. I love my truck but this will be the last dodge I own. Total rust buckets and they know it. My truck has been in the garage since new still rusted. Very dishearting when you spend the money you do on a brand new truck a and 4 yr later it's rotting. Good luck my friend!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

You know what... I think I might just have to do what one of the 3 gen ram guys did.

Cut myself some vinyl up that says "SEE HOW DODGE WARRANTIES THEIR PRODUCTS"
with some big arrows pointing towards the rust, right down the side of the bed.

Then go and park right in front of some dodge dealerships.

Post #4 LMAO
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...well-rust.html

Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Absolute garbage. Never again.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
ballsout
Professional

i noticed a bubble in the summer and havent checked since because i havent washed the truck since then....im sure its gonna look like a POS within the next year or 2. when it starts to get bad i will fix it myself and repaint the truck flat black...good thing it only got a year of payments left on it and then it becomes our 3rd vehicle for the times a have to tow the boat or need to pick something up that will not fit in the car.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 AM
4XANDY

What does it take to get the rust fixed? im curious my truck has some too. what a **** off. i find the he channel of seel across by the rad always has rust on dakotas

Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 4XANDY
What does it take to get the rust fixed? im curious my truck has some too. what a **** off. i find the he channel of seel across by the rad always has rust on dakotas
Poor quality steel and poor design would be major culprits to this problem in my opinion, but the rustproofing oil works - even on the steel channels around the radiator. If the rust is already through the steel and bubbling under the paint, the only way to fix it is to remove the rusted sections, weld in new steel, and repaint. It may be cheaper to get another bed assembly from an auto salvage yard & repaint that (if necessary) before installation - then get it sprayed with oil.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

I was gonna say the same thing about a new bed. It will prob cost you 500 bucks for the bed vs 1500 to replace a section of metal and paint. If its really that bad i would be in search for a new bed, and just have it painted.

Quick Reply: Rust