3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
I was gonna say the same thing about a new bed. It will prob cost you 500 bucks for the bed vs 1500 to replace a section of metal and paint. If its really that bad i would be in search for a new bed, and just have it painted.
I have looked at prices.
The cost is about $4000 + shipping for a used bed

New bed side panels are about $800 each + 1500 for install + another who knows for the wheel well tub that are gonna be rusted also, then another 800 to repair your spray in bed liner if you have it.

To patch the panels, a local company quoted me $1000 each side to patch, and refinish.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy moly 4gs that's brand new tho, what about one at a junk yard. They can't possibly be that much at a junk yard. And I bet there in better condition then the ones were riding around with. Totally insane those prices man I'm glad I can fix my own stuff. Otherwise your better off just trading that sucker in let someone else deal with the BS

Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

Holy moly 4gs that's brand new tho, what about one at a junk yard. They can't possibly be that much at a junk yard. And I bet there in better condition then the ones were riding around with. Totally insane those prices man I'm glad I can fix my own stuff. Otherwise your better off just trading that sucker in let someone else deal with the BS
NO... That is $4g USED. Its ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eimer123
I have looked at prices.
The cost is about $4000 + shipping for a used bed

New bed side panels are about $800 each + 1500 for install + another who knows for the wheel well tub that are gonna be rusted also, then another 800 to repair your spray in bed liner if you have it.

To patch the panels, a local company quoted me $1000 each side to patch, and refinish.
Awesome, seeing that price just made me vomit on my shoes...

Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

LOL me too. That is why I am gonna cut and patch mine myself. Then seal it properly from the inside to prevent water from forming at the joint.

Then I am gonna just cover it up with fender flares. Does not need to look pretty, just defective.

I figure it will take about a week to complete.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased the enviromental protection package with my truck, every 6 months truck goes to dealer, they wash wax and clean interior with their special products, so I think I may have an arguement with the rust issues

Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

Don't even bother with that sh.t Chrysler corp. those aholes are a joke to deal with my entire lower radiator support rotted off and they told me it was something that was self inflicted. The front cross member bubbled up and flaked off due to rust and they claim not under warranty. I'm under 5 yr rust warranty still. They still wouldn't warranty it. Dodge is a f-in joke when it comes to this pos made trucks. I love my truck but this will be the last dodge I own. Total rust buckets and they know it. My truck has been in the garage since new still rusted. Very dishearting when you spend the money you do on a brand new truck a and 4 yr later it's rotting. Good luck my friend!
If you think any of the other car manufacturers are any better - you may be kidding yourself.
I had bought a Volkswagon Gulf in '95 and by '99 I had significant rust issues on the hatch around the license plate holder. Took it to the dealer and they said - and I quote "I am not interested in fixing that". I wrote a letter to the owner - which wrote back stating he was thinking of legal action for slandering his dealership - what a crock. Everything I wrote was fact. Anyway that went no where.

I then had a 2006 Honda Accord with 58,000kms on it (bought used). I took it in for the "reccomended service" thinking that if I wanted the warranty covered (It was a special model - can't remember what they called it bought it was supposed to have had a stricter quality inspection and longer warranty). Anyway the dealer called me and said the front pads and rotors were toast. I said ok, replace them under warranty - and they said no warranty. It had a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I questioned him about how after 2.5 years and 58,000 kms - how could the brakes be so far gone that they were shot? He said because they had never been serviced. I called the dealership I got the car from (5 hours drive away) and they faxed me the service record and it had clearly had the brakes serviced as reccomended. I show it to the jerks at the dealership and they said - well rotors are not covered - again called the other dealership and they said rotors were covered up to 60,000km. Then when I told them that they said "well they are rusted and we don't cover rusted rotors. I was pissed.I had to ask the Manager to call their warranty rep to discuss my concern which did nothing. I wrote Honda and said of all the vehicles I have owned - never have I ever seen brakes be shot with such low mileage - and this is a Honda! At the end of the day - they lost a customer over a $300.00 repair - which in all likelyhood, They would have been reimbursed by Honda anyway under warranty. They didn't even offer to cover half.
Idiots. So I am just saying - the grass aint greener at the other manufacturers.

Last edited by New 2 Dodge; 03-01-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Sunsetrider
Rookie

My truck appears to be rust free at this time. I had it rust-proofed (Krown) as soon as I bought it and will have it done every year at $100 a shot. Same with my car. Meanwhile I will keep my fingers crossed!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sunsetrider
My truck appears to be rust free at this time. I had it rust-proofed (Krown) as soon as I bought it and will have it done every year at $100 a shot. Same with my car. Meanwhile I will keep my fingers crossed!
You should be OK as long as the rust has not yet penetrated the steel. I like the Krown T-40 oil performance, it appears to penetrate and pacify any established rust and is fairly easy to apply. If you have an air compressor of any size, you can do your own spraying or touch ups in areas that may have been missed - all you would need would be a cheap undercoating gun (less than $20) to do the job. The oil itself is sold at the Krown shops in either gallons or pints (I think that's the size of the small jars). It also comes in aerosol cans if you don't want to use a compressor & undercoating gun.

When the weather warms up and gets dryer, I intend to take out the rear inner fenders to see if I have that sprayed-in insulation problem & I'll give that area a good blast of T-40 at the same time. The rest of the truck was pretty well covered with that oil but I never thought to look under the inner fenders on the rear.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can just see a tiny patch of rust under my driver side rear fender where the bed meets the fender liner. I am tempted to just grind it all smooth and paint that lip with bedliner.

Quick Reply: Rust