3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rust

Not happy at the moment, my rear wheel well has bubbling all around it, just the passenger side, really didn't notice it until the sunlight hit it just right, but it looks bad, gonna see what dodge will do, trucks 7 years old, shouldn't be doing this at all

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge won't do anything. Good luck, mine have rusted through.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sealed my wheel wells for this reason ....

When I saw Eimers, it almost brought tears to my eyes. 130k on my truck and not one single spot of body rust yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdak05
Not happy at the moment, my rear wheel well has bubbling all around it, just the passenger side, really didn't notice it until the sunlight hit it just right, but it looks bad, gonna see what dodge will do, trucks 7 years old, shouldn't be doing this at all
I got the same thing on my Drivers side, Sucks... Since I got the entire Pass. side redone... free lol

I plan to seal the hell out of it this summer, both sides and everywhere else!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dammit, that pisses me off to no end. I can't f*cking stand it when things like this happen. There should be no reason why a truck this new should have ANY rust. ugh.

Reject, I just noticed your quote in the sig...lol. I didn't realize that I was so quotable until now.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 02-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Dammit, that pisses me off to no end. I can't f*cking stand it when things like this happen. There should be no reason why a truck this new should have ANY rust. ugh.

Reject, I just noticed your quote in the sig...lol. I didn't realize that I was so quotable until now.

haha, Its cause I can fit under my truck with no problems at all...and still have head room.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

The issue with the wheel well rust is because dodge decided to add a foam seal on the inside of the wheel wheel between the bed and bed side. You can actually reach up from the rear of the truck, or pull the rear tail lights and see this foam.

The foam holds water and debris and rusts the panel from the inside out.

This is the same for the Ram also.

I plan on eventually cutting out the bad metal, removing the stupid foam, patching the bed, rubberize coating the spot where the foam is, painting the bare metal and covering it up with fender flares.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rengnath
I sealed my wheel wells for this reason ....

When I saw Eimers, it almost brought tears to my eyes. 130k on my truck and not one single spot of body rust yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Keep crying your trucks will look like mine soon enough

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Eimer123
The issue with the wheel well rust is because dodge decided to add a foam seal on the inside of the wheel wheel between the bed and bed side. You can actually reach up from the rear of the truck, or pull the rear tail lights and see this foam.

The foam holds water and debris and rusts the panel from the inside out.

This is the same for the Ram also.

I plan on eventually cutting out the bad metal, removing the stupid foam, patching the bed, rubberize coating the spot where the foam is, painting the bare metal and covering it up with fender flares.
Thanks for pointing that out Elmer, if that's the cause of the rust then applying sealer won't help. Cutting out any rotten steel won't be easy, especially with a torch - that foam burns and isn't easy to put out (I had personal experience with that when I was repairing an old pickup, I almost lost it). If you need to repair parts of the bed, I'd recommend removing all the foam you can get to or use a combination of pop rivets and panel adhesive (I use a couple of the rivets to hold the replacement panels in place until the adhesive sets).

Using a sealer even when the foam is gone will only lock the problem against the already rotten steel. What I use on "old tin" is the rust preventative oil (I use Krown T-40, but that's a Canadian Product, the other undercoating companies have their own equivalent) after a really good pressure washing. It's recommended to apply it every year and it will creep into all the crevices and has additives to displace water. On the vehicles I've done this to, the treatment appears to work.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over! that looks horrible. How long has that been goin on for? I had that on my red dakota's rear bumper, and i think i'm getin it on my rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Rust