3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

loud fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
muppet30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud fan clutch

my dakota ī05 is very loud , when i first start it up every morning it doesnīt make any sound and runs great, but when it reaches some temperature it starts sounding like itīs gonna take off, and losses a BIG amount of horsepower, and it stays like that even if a drive it for hours it just doesnīt go away, i know it should be the other way around, does anyone know what could possibly be happening

Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the engine off, see if your fan has any wiggle to it.

Your clutch in the fan is probably toast.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Are you sure that it's the cooling fan clutch that's making the noise? I don't think a noisy fan should cause your engine to lose horse power.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
muppet30

im pretty sure is the fan thats making the noise īcause when it runs on cold it doesnīt make any sounds and runs good but after 10 min under the texas heat it starts and itīs there when i feel it everytime i get a green light, it didnīt have any wiggle or seem to have any, but i changed it anyway, when i replaced it i took the truck for a short ride without the fan and it works just fine, so i installed the new one, but it went back to the same problem once it took some temp, im starting to think is a factory related problem, how about en electric fan? what u guys think?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Cant go wrong with an e-fan conversion. Mine works flawlessly.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
muppet30

what size electric fan do u recommend, my job is 70% off road, i donīt wanna get stuck with an overheated truck in the middle of the desert

Last edited by muppet30; 08-08-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
muppet30

i,m thinking 16Ļ

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of a word. It rhymes with search.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by muppet30
what size electric fan do u recommend, my job is 70% off road, i donīt wanna get stuck with an overheated truck in the middle of the desert
Personally, I'd go to a salvage yard and get a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan and hook it up with a couple of relays and thermal switches (not temperature sensors, you'll need 1 switch per speed). This fan can pull through a LOT of air, and uses quite a few amps, so as long as you use the right size relays and wire, you shouldn't have a problem. This is by far, the most cost-effective solution. There are also Mark VIII fans that are very similar to the Taurus fan, but some of them come as a single speed - I recommend the 2 speed in this variety as well. If you go with a more sophisticated controller at some time, you can always just use the high speed wiring and leave the low speed disconnected.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
muppet30

Originally Posted by Alfons
Personally, I'd go to a salvage yard and get a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan and hook it up with a couple of relays and thermal switches (not temperature sensors, you'll need 1 switch per speed). This fan can pull through a LOT of air, and uses quite a few amps, so as long as you use the right size relays and wire, you shouldn't have a problem. This is by far, the most cost-effective solution. There are also Mark VIII fans that are very similar to the Taurus fan, but some of them come as a single speed - I recommend the 2 speed in this variety as well. If you go with a more sophisticated controller at some time, you can always just use the high speed wiring and leave the low speed disconnected.
i just noticed that the mechanic installed a heavy duty fan clutch, do you think this may be the cause of the problem, any way, i dont wanna know anything about clutches anymore, iīll do just what u said and post back, thanks a lot

Quick Reply: loud fan clutch