3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Flat tow '05 with manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 PM
RthrDent
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tow '05 with manual transmission?

Hi everyone,
I'll soon be needing to tow my '05 V8/6-speed manual on a tow dolly behind a U-Haul truck. I know that generally a manual can be towed wheels-down but I also know that technology is changing rapidly. Does anyone know FOR SURE if there are any issues towing a MT truck with the rears on the ground? It's the Getrag 238 transmission. TIA.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM
LoCatus
Rookie

There should be no problems. Just don't forget to make sure it's in neutral. LOL!

I simply hate tow dollies. Something about 'em just ain't right in my eyes.
I would much rather (If possible) go for a full trailer when I need to haul a vehicle.
Costs a bit more, But like I said.. I hate dollies. (Especially if I get in a situation where I gotta back the fool thing up).

Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by LoCatus
I hate dollies. (Especially if I get in a situation where I gotta back the fool thing up).
Agreed, they are a little harder to back up since where the front wheels rest can turn. I always go full trailer, only problem is it adds a lot of weight and you need to make sure you're not going over the rating. The last trailer I used weighed 2000lbs empty, the car only weighed about 2500lbs.

I don't see it being a problem. If you're truck is a 4x4, you could put the t-case in neutral and that would definately take care any possible problems. Otherwise, should be fine.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to be really sure that nothing will get affected you can always drop the driveshaft. That way nothing is turning except for the rear axle.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thecause17
I don't see it being a problem. If you're truck is a 4x4, you could put the t-case in neutral and that would definately take care any possible problems. Otherwise, should be fine.
It depends on how the rotating parts inside the transmission are lubricated. If the bearings rely on the input shaft turning for lubrication (not unheard of), then towing it in neutral with the engine off can do damage. Usually, your owner's manual will tell you if it's ok.

When I used to flat tow my Jeep, I always put the TC in neutral and the transmission in 5th gear to keep it from turning (as my owner's manual said to do). By using 5th gear instead of, say, 1st gear, you prevent engine damage in the event the TC happens to drop into gear unnoticed.

Originally Posted by damyankee84
If you want to be really sure that nothing will get affected you can always drop the driveshaft. That way nothing is turning except for the rear axle.
This is kind of a pain, but really the safest way.you don't need to completely remove the shaft. Just disconnect it at the differential and tie it up out of the way.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM
DaKoCuN
Professional

Go full trailer and keep it safe

Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
RthrDent
Amateur

Thanks for the answers guys. It's 2wd so the TC bit isn't an option. It sounds like my concerns are valid so screw it, it's trailer time.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM
thecause17
Veteran

The following is directly from the owner's manual:

Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles

Provided that the transmission is operable, tow with the transmission in neutral and the ignition key in the OFF position along with the front wheels raised and the rear wheels on the ground. The speed must not exceed 30mph (50km/h) and the distance must not exceed 15 miles (25km)

If the vehicle is to be towed more than 15 miles (25km) or faster than 30mph, it must be towed on a flatbed, or with the rear wheels raised and the front wheels on the ground, or with the front end raised and the rear wheels on a towing dolly.

NOTE: Towing the vehicle, with the rear wheels on the ground, at more than 30mph (50 km/h) or for more than 15 miles (25km) can cause severe transmission damage.

Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles
The manufacturer recommends towing with all wheels OFF the ground. Acceptable methods are to tow the vehicle on a flatbed or with one end of the vehicle raised and the opposite end on a towing dolly.

Quick Reply: Flat tow '05 with manual transmission?