3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Seatbelt warning won't stop going off

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt warning won't stop going off

So I've had my truck since last October and haven't had a problem till now. All of a sudden, the seat belt warning will start going off, then stop, the start dinging again.
I tried unplugging the seatbelt wire that runs down from the latch but that didn't work. And I looked in the fusebox but I didn't know which fuse was for the seat belt warning.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tommy

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Try disabling the system entirely:

ENHANCED SEATBELT REMINDER PROGRAMMING

The seatbelt indicator also includes a programmable enhanced seatbelt reminder or “beltminder” feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This beltminder feature provides extended and modified visual seatbelt indicator and audible chime warning responses to an unbuckled driver side front seat belt. The beltminder feature may be disabled or enabled by the customer using the programming sequence that follows, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool.

CUSTOMER PROGRAMMING SEQUENCE

NOTE: The following sequence of events must occur within sixty (60) seconds of the ignition switch being placed in the On position in order for the programming to be completed successfully.
1. With the ignition switch in any position except On or Start, buckle the driver side front seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and wait for the seatbelt indicator reminder function to conclude (about six seconds).
3. Unbuckle and buckle the driver side front seat belt three or more times, ending with the belt buckled.
4. Turn the ignition switch to any position except On or Start to toggle the beltminder feature from its current setting (from active to inactive, or from inactive to active). A single chime tone will provide an audible confirmation that the programming sequence has been successfully completed.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

Awesome, thanks. I'll try it tomorrow morning and see how it works.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 AM
calixdakota
Professional

hey if you didint figure out, ill tell you whate happend to me
RIGHT IN THE BUCKLE there is a black and red wire tat u can barely access. like 1mm of each showing, anyway i had one of them get broken, my chime was going off for weeks
i had to get someone to hold the two wires touching to gehtther on the buckle ( very hard) while i clippeed it in an out and turning the key to do the process to disable the chime, i hope i never ever have to do it again it was so hard to get the timing right... i hope that if the batter ever dies, you dont need to disable the chimea gain...maybe if u reset everything though...****
hope you figured it out.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
boyceh79
Amateur

Mine does the same thing. I'll def try the reprogramming deal.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Mine did that. The wonder-engineers at Dodge decided to run the wires for the seat belt warning across the seat tracks to the buckle and after awhile, they get cut in two. I just fished them out from under the truck and wire nutted them together. No more annoying seat belt alarm.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 AM
calixdakota
Professional

Yea! i unplugged the connectors too on the seatbelt but it didint make difference. had nothing to work with the re-wire.

Check if it's the wire along the buckel. to the right of where you sit..should see a black and red- hopefully yours isnt cut there...you got less then a MM of wire showing, i was about to smash the ****in buckle apart to get at it , but i said i'd try one more thing. and it worked. like i said i dont think i could pull it off again what I had to do, it was a miracle that what i tried worked.

i wished mine was cut underneath on the electric track for moving your seat around, woulda had a lot more to work with..
Cheers

Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

I've tried everything listed and still haven't fixed it. What would happen if i pulled the fuse for it?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Is there a fuse strictly for that? Just a thought, did you disconnect your battery to do a reset. Unplug it for 30 mins and reconnect it. That sometimes clears up all sorts of electrical problems. It can't hurt to try it, it's free.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

You have to short the wires together to turn off the warning. Unplugging the connector will not work. Did you find the two wires and short them together?

These are the wires:

This is what I did to turn the warning off:

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-26-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt warning won't stop going off