3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Those with leveling kits: 1.5" or 2"? Help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
ixl4
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with leveling kits: 1.5" or 2"? Help me out.

Hi guys.
Yes I Searched.

I recently bought an 07 quad cab 4wd.

It is stock height and the front end looks, well, weak.

I am buying a bull bar that I want to mount some lights on and I don't anticipate the front dropping more than half an inch bc of the bar since all the engine weight is already on it...

Should I get 1.5 or a 2 " kit? They are the same price.

One thing I want to ensure is that I don't get death wobble like I did in all my previous Jeeps.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

If your 4x4, you can safely go to 2" without any other mods or issues. I had a 2" on mine and it did fine. Death wobble will not be a problem. It does put extra stress on the fron end parts (ball joints and CV joints), but unless you are into regularly flexing the suspension it should be ok. Remembering the front ends are the weak links on these trucks.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
ixl4
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If your 4x4, you can safely go to 2" without any other mods or issues. I had a 2" on mine and it did fine. Death wobble will not be a problem. It does put extra stress on the fron end parts (ball joints and CV joints), but unless you are into regularly flexing the suspension it should be ok. Remembering the front ends are the weak links on these trucks.
My truck is already making knocking noises over bumps. I had my dealership check it out (i work for a large domestic dealer) and they said probably ball joints, but everything seemed very tight with no movement on any parts. Basically said just live with the noise, its not dangerous.

I don't mind the noise too bad, just want to make sure that 2" is fine and wont lift front higher than back. Also I don't flex with it, so maybe 1.5 is safer?

I definitely don't want the front end sitting higher than back.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by ixl4
My truck is already making knocking noises over bumps. I had my dealership check it out (i work for a large domestic dealer) and they said probably ball joints, but everything seemed very tight with no movement on any parts. Basically said just live with the noise, its not dangerous.

I don't mind the noise too bad, just want to make sure that 2" is fine and wont lift front higher than back. Also I don't flex with it, so maybe 1.5 is safer?

You had an actual dealership tell you that even though your ball joints were knocking (indicating worn ball joints) to just "live with it"? Wow....

Anyway, balljoint failure is usually accompanied by squeaking as well. If something is knocking, I would suspect sway bar end links and/or tie rods as well.

My 2" kit did make the front look just a tad higher at some angles. I added a 1.5" helper spring to the back and that brought back some of the rake. Adding your bullbar and lights, you should be just fine with a 2". Be sure to search for bullbars on here, they can be a real PIA to install due to the front body mounts.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ixl4

I just vomited. "live with it"? "its not dangerous"? WTF?.....who the hell is running their operation? Mickey Mouse?

So, on the upper ball joints, one must check for play while the truck is on the ground. If you check it in the air, then you will NOT be able to get play out of the ball joint.

I'm right on with jkeaton here. 2" is just fine with what you are looking to do. Honestly, we have a member that has a 2.5" kit on a 4x4 that beats the crap out of the truck. So far as we know, he hasn't seen a failure.........yet.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Goat437

I had a knocking once, It was because the nut on top of the strut was loose. Tightened that up and it fixed the problem. Not likely for your truck (I had just installed a leveling kit and new struts on mine) but it's just one more thing to check.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I went with the 1.5" kit, and it sits level most of the time. Depending on the pitch, sometimes it looks like a tiny bit of rake. The extra 1/2" won't fit any bigger tire, so I didn't see the need for it, and it's a little easier on the front end. And the bull bar isn't heavy, and doesn't weigh the front down at all.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

This is with a 2" leveling kit and stock rear suspension:

This is with the 1.5" helper springs in the back:

Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
ixl4
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
This is with a 2" leveling kit and stock rear suspension:

This is with the 1.5" helper springs in the back:

Thanks,

hard to tell with the uneven ground in the background. I have 2 kits on order now, a Nylon 1.5 and an aluminum 2" one.

I measured my truck about 8 times on different grounds and in each case the back sits exactly 3" higher from the ground to fender at wheel well.

I think I am going to go with the 2" aluminum as I have read some bad things about the Nylon ones.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Going from the stock "rake" it appeared to sit a little higher in the front (or gave that illusion) after installing the 2" kit. Adding the helper springs brought back some of the rake. I believe it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other comparing aluminum to nylon. If you live in a salty state, the aluminum will corrode and degrade quicker, imo.

Quick Reply: Those with leveling kits: 1.5" or 2"? Help me out.