3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering Wheel Squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM
kjpark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Squeaking?

Hey guys its been a while, so as the title says i noticed for a while my steering wheel squeaks a bit whenever i turn at low speeds usually. I was just wondering if this is common or if i need to fix something. I sounds like its coming from the part that attaches the wheel to the dash column(or whatever its called). I dont know much of steering wheels and dont want to set off the air bag. Any input would be nice, thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
poptop22
Amateur

I had the Same issue...I could have sworn it was from the steering wheel, it ended up being the bolt under the dash where the 2 shafts connect. Tightened it down and sqweek was gone.
I would try that first.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM
djsilver
Professional

Mine had been squeaking for several years and all I'd heard was that the only way to fix it was to replace the steering column. I recently found the actual Dodge TSB. It says to first loosen the two bolts that holds the steering column flange to the floor, then turn the steering wheel back-and-forth several times to center it before tightening the flange back down. If that doesn't fix it, then replace the column..., Hallelujah, it worked!
The clunking sound and looseness comes from the coupling between the upper/lower parts of the column. It's a crappy design with what looks like a round female half trying to clamp around a square male half. I tightened mine down several times but it would always come back. I finally got tired of it and drilled a hole through the joint and bolted it.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 AM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Yeah mine did that as well. I had Dodge fix it for around $200. They said it was a TSB which I assume was the same djsilver's. Since I wasn't sure of the difficultly I let them do it so I didn't get a face full of airbag.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

FYI, these trucks have had a gremlin in the steering. There have been several reports of a bolt coming loose in the steering linkages from the steering wheel and people have lost steering completely.

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/dodge/d...g-problems.php

Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 AM
djsilver
Professional

The info I found was in a Dodge publication in the waiting room at the local dealership. They were looking into why my back-up lights don't work (they haven't figured it out yet...,) The advisory only addressed the squeaking and the clunking from the loose joint. Their instructions for the loose joint is to replace the pinch bolt and re-tighten the joint. It was my decision to drill and bolt it.

Apparently, the 3rd Gen Dakota has a high failure rate for front-end components, including upper/lower ball joints, steering column universal joints, steering racks, steering tie-rod ends and shock absorbers. at 116k, I've replaced my shocks and my sway-bar end links but everything else is still tight. Mine is 2WD and I don't go off-roading but I do use it and tow with it, so I guess I'm just lucky so far. (?)

Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 AM
kjpark
Professional

great info guys, i've been busy all week with school. Will definitely get to the bottom of this very soon!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:00 PM
duke69111

Originally Posted by djsilver
The info I found was in a Dodge publication in the waiting room at the local dealership. They were looking into why my back-up lights don't work (they haven't figured it out yet...,) The advisory only addressed the squeaking and the clunking from the loose joint. Their instructions for the loose joint is to replace the pinch bolt and re-tighten the joint. It was my decision to drill and bolt it.

Apparently, the 3rd Gen Dakota has a high failure rate for front-end components, including upper/lower ball joints, steering column universal joints, steering racks, steering tie-rod ends and shock absorbers. at 116k, I've replaced my shocks and my sway-bar end links but everything else is still tight. Mine is 2WD and I don't go off-roading but I do use it and tow with it, so I guess I'm just lucky so far. (?)
I have less than 85,000 miles on my 2008 Dakota SLT and I've already had to replace the struts and shocks, tie rod ends and the upper ball joints. I also suffer from this steering wheel squeaking.

Originally Posted by poptop22
I had the Same issue...I could have sworn it was from the steering wheel, it ended up being the bolt under the dash where the 2 shafts connect. Tightened it down and sqweek was gone.
I would try that first.
Originally Posted by kjpark
great info guys, i've been busy all week with school. Will definitely get to the bottom of this very soon!
I know this thread is old, but do either of you happen to have a photo of the area of the bolt that you tightened to get the squeak to stop? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Squeaking?